access violation problem

edited September 2005 in Game Support
i downloaded the free trial one and got an access violation 0x031D3DAA. what does that mean and will i get the same violation message if i buy the game?

Comments

• edited September 2005
    the violation is 0x031F3DAA
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    Curious. Looking into it.
  • edited September 2005
    Same problem here - when I try to run the demo it crashes with a "Error: Access violation at 0x0385DAA (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated." error..
  • edited September 2005
    I'm getting the same problem too, now. The game worked the first time though... just not a second time.

I seem to be having all the bad luck, I've also gotten the 'won't install to the correct directory' bug, and worse, the 'won't give you a serial number when bought' problem. I've e-mailed the 'technical support' e-mail address in the order confirmation about that one, though.
  • edited September 2005
    Same darn problem. I opened the program two or three times with no problem, then updated my graphic card drivers (Intel Extreme on my laptop) and now it give me the "acces violation" error. Grrr...

Also during a few of the camera shots during the opening scenario I was getting wierd, strangely colored triangle things that would obstruct part (but not all) of the screen, sometimes making it impossible to see the character in the closeup (this most noticably happened with Phony). I'm running with an Intel Extreme graphics card with the latest drivers on a Fujitsu P5010D laptop.

All and any help is appreciated.

Best,
    Chris
  • edited September 2005
    I managed to get mine working by playing in fullscreen mode, and never changing to windowed.

Unfortunately, to get back into fullscreen mode, I had to uninstall and reinstall the game... seems to be the only option as of now though...
  • edited September 2005
    I get access violation too... Bought the game and i'm very disappointed!!

Givf bugfix! X-(
  • edited September 2005
    So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and then it worked fine, but then it crashed around the scene with the possum kids and now when I try to reboot it gives me the access error. It might be helpful to note that I was playing in windowed mode at the time of the crash.

By the way, where does the downloader download the installer to? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • edited September 2005
    Played it in Windowed and Laptop mode.
    I played to where the demo stops and i bought it, restarted and then the error came.
  • edited September 2005
    open regedit and check the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Telltale Games\Out from Boneville\Directory

It has the value: "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Out from Boneville"
    But the game is located in "C:\Program Files\Out from Boneville"
    The other directory exists but it's empty.

Tried copying the game to the empty dir but i got the same error.
  • edited September 2005
    Same problem, definitely seems to be a thing with switching to window mode.

Uninstalling and reinstalling fixes it for a short while.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    I've found the problem switching to windowed mode. We're working on a fix right now. The only solution at the moment is to reinstall the game then stay in fullscreen mode.

We'll keep you posted!
  • edited September 2005
    I have to say, I'm pretty dissappointed. I have a dual-monitor setup, and when I play in fullscreen mode the mouse cursor isn't locked to the monitor where Bone is displayed. When I was trying to get through the scene where you're running from the rat creatures, the mouse would constantly go across to the other monitor without my noticing it and I'd click to jump and then I'd get put back to the desktop. So I went into windowed mode so I could access my graphics card properties and disable the other monitor (which I shouldn't need to do really), and then the thing crashes. I try to restart and I get this access violation.

Reinstalling the game is not really much of a solution to give to your paying customers in my opinion.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    The new version that went up Friday addresses the switching to a window problem.
  • edited September 2005
    The new version that went up Friday addresses the switching to a window problem.

Awsome thanks!

Now I can play at work :P
This discussion has been closed.