Sam & Max Episode 201 Error

LAALAA
edited August 2008 in Game Support
OK, well this is my 1st ever Sam & Max game and guess what...
I CANT PLAY IT!
Whenever I start a new game and after it has finished loading it resets my computer!
On the Error Reporting I think it was called a Blue Screen Error, and it said it happens if a program goes wrong or something like that, I cant remember.
I would try looking more into it, but now my Error reporting has gone faulty saying its a corrupted Error Reporting, so...I dont know how to play it now...
Can someone help me?
Thanks!

Comments

• LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Also, just to help you more, my screen does not go blue, it just resets my computer.
    I dont know why its called blue screen error, more like "I'm going to annoy you now by reseting your computer now Hee-Hee Error"
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Just tried again...
    NEW RECORD!
    I managed to see sam before it reseted! YAY!
    Actually not YAY, I havent even played the game yet...
    The Error Reporting is still busted.
    I NEED HELP PLEASE!
  • edited August 2008
    What are your computer specs? Processor, OS, Memory, Direct X version info? I'm sure Will will probably ask for this anyway :)
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    What are your computer specs? Processor, OS, Memory, Direct X version info? I'm sure Will will probably ask for this anyway :)

I dot have a CLUE about this.
    This is just my Dad's old computer.
    Is there anyway I can find out?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, load up the Start menu and go to Run. Then type dxdiag into the Run window and hit enter.

This should bring up a window that tells you all of the pertinent information about your computer. On the first page, I need to know the "Operating System" and "DirectX Version" from the System Information window. Then go to the "Display" or "Display 1" tab. In the Device window, tell me what it says next to "Name." Finally, go over to the Sound tab, and tell me the Name there too. Thanks!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Yeah, load up the Start menu and go to Run. Then type dxdiag into the Run window and hit enter.

This should bring up a window that tells you all of the pertinent information about your computer. On the first page, I need to know the "Operating System" and "DirectX Version" from the System Information window. Then go to the "Display" or "Display 1" tab. In the Device window, tell me what it says next to "Name." Finally, go over to the Sound tab, and tell me the Name there too. Thanks!

THANKS A LOT!
    I'VE HEARD A LOT ABOUT THIS GAME AND WANTED TO PLAY IT!

System Tab
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional (5.1, Build 2600)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Tab
    Name: ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series

Sound Tab
    SB Live! Audio [DC00]

(The SB Live! reminds me of Strong Bad Live! :D)
    Thanks for helping me so much, so far!
    Hope this tells you what you need to know!
    edited August 2008
    Before we do anything drastic, have you tried redownloading and reinstalling?

Anyway, it looks like your DirectX is up to date, but it might not hurt to give updating a shot: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

The video card is a bit on the old side, but it *should* run the game. Try updating the driver: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

The sound card is a bit harder to update, so give the first two a shot and see if that fixes anything.
  • edited August 2008
    Here's one other thing to try...

- Go to the System Preferences control panel
    - Choose the 'Advanced' tab
    - In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button
    - Make sure the "Automatically restart" box is UNchecked.
    - Click OK to get out.

Now try running the game again, and this time you should be able to see the actual blue screen. When it happens, you'll see a line that starts like this:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A

Note down the 0x0000000A part (it will probably be a different value than that) and let us know what it is.

Also, if you see a line starting like this:

*** SOMEFILENAME.FOO Address ...

Make a note of the filename that's shown there.
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Before we do anything drastic, have you tried redownloading and reinstalling?

Anyway, it looks like your DirectX is up to date, but it might not hurt to give updating a shot: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

The video card is a bit on the old side, but it *should* run the game. Try updating the driver: http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

The sound card is a bit harder to update, so give the first two a shot and see if that fixes anything.

For the 1st sentence, are you talking about the game?
    I'll give the other 2 things a shot now.
    Yours too tabacco.
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    OK, I've reinstalled the DirectX, but Before I downloaded it, it came up with a new beta version, I didnt click on it though.
    Should'nt I?
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    OK, I've updated the driver now.
    tabacco, your method didnt work, i'm afraid...
    Instead of showing me the blue screen, it just froze on the image of sam holding a gun.
    I had to manually reststart my computer.
    Should I try reinstalling the game?
    I'll do it anyway!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    I just reinstalled the game and played it again and it froze where all the machines, (e.g Arcade Game Machine), are.
    I had to manually restart it aswell.
    Does anyone have any other methods to try?
    I REALLY WANNA PLAY THIS GAME!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Hello?!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone got any other suggestions or is that it?
    edited August 2008
    Ok, these are sorta outlier cases, but do you have any programs running in the background? Any sort of debugging tools or cd cloning programs?

Also, how much hard drive space do you have left? You aren't dangerously close to full are you?
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Ok, these are sorta outlier cases, but do you have any programs running in the background? Any sort of debugging tools or cd cloning programs?

Also, how much hard drive space do you have left? You aren't dangerously close to full are you?

Ah...Well, I never relised it, but I had LogMeIn running in the background (which lets me access my compuer from somewhere else)
    I also have AntiVir, which is an anti Virus potection program.
    I have CD cloning prgrams, but they're not running at the same time, I never use this program, when using another at the same time.
    I've got about 7GB left.
    Not sure whether thats bad or not...
    I'll try playing the game with LogMeIn off.
    I'll say whether it works or not.
    See you soon...
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Nope.
    Still reseting itself when you see Sam pointing a gun.
    Thanks for your help so far guys!
    Are there anymore suggestions?
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Hello?!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Are there anymore suggestions, or is that it?
    Can you tell me now?
  • edited August 2008
    You're going to have to chill - it's the weekend, I'm sure the Telltale support dudes are not in the office today. (At least I hope they're not.)
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    demonfoo wrote: »
    You're going to have to chill - it's the weekend, I'm sure the Telltale support dudes are not in the office today. (At least I hope they're not.)

OH, OK, sorry!
    A weekend to me, is probably completely different to them, so sorry for being impatient.

Also, thank you demonfoo, for opening my eyes!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Can Someone just tell me?
    Is there anything else I can try or is that it?
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I was trying to avoid updating your audio drivers, but they may be the culprit. This can be kind of a wonky process, so if at all possible I'd like to try SB's auto-updater first. So go here and see if it works for you: http://support.creative.com/downloads/SoftwareAutoUpdate.aspx
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Ok, I was trying to avoid updating your audio drivers, but they may be the culprit. This can be kind of a wonky process, so if at all possible I'd like to try SB's auto-updater first. So go here and see if it works for you: http://support.creative.com/downloads/SoftwareAutoUpdate.aspx

OK, I'm doing now.
    But, I'm not sure what my SB Live! Model no. is.
    I think its just SB Live! because thats what it says on dxdiag, so I'm downloading it for that.
    Thanks for all the suggesions!
    I could have never thought the Audio was the problem! (If it is the problem)
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    LAA wrote: »
    OK, I'm doing now.
    But, I'm not sure what my SB Live! Model no. is.
    I think its just SB Live! because thats what it says on dxdiag, so I'm downloading it for that.
    Thanks for all the suggesions!
    I could have never thought the Audio was the problem! (If it is the problem)

WHAT?
    WHAT JUST HAPPENED!
    It just said the setup could not continue because it is not supported by my windows operating system!
    I'll try it again!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    LAA wrote: »
    WHAT?
    WHAT JUST HAPPENED!
    It just said the setup could not continue because it is not supported by my windows operating system!
    I'll try it again!

That was weried.
    When I went back to the website, it was different.
    I think I was trying to install updates manually.
    Anyway, theres no new updates for SB Live!, I have the latest.
    I'm very grateful for what you've done to help so far.
    Is there anything else to try?
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else to try. Send an email to support@telltalegames.com and I can toss you a refund. Sorry!
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else to try. Send an email to support@telltalegames.com and I can toss you a refund. Sorry!

You dont have to appologise!
    You gave me loads of advice and its not your's or the game's fault.
    Its just my computer!

Can I get a refund, even though it was just a free gift?
    Probably not, but could I exchange it for another game maybe perhaps?
    If I can trade it for another game, could I get SBCG4AP episode 2 for the wii, (If its even possible), when it comes out?
    Thanks!
  • edited August 2008
    Well we can't really give a refund on a free game. Was it a gift from a friend who bought it for you or did you get it in one of our giveaways? As for trading it for something else that really isn't possible, Sorry.
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Well we can't really give a refund on a free game. Was it a gift from a friend who bought it for you or did you get it in one of our giveaways? As for trading it for something else that really isn't possible, Sorry.

No, I got it in one of the giveaways.
    Its a shame to hear you cant get trade it for another game, espically since I'm stuck with something I cant play!
    But, I suppose it was free, so no harm done, but still, I think it would have been nice to have been able to trade it for another game.
    Anyway, thanks to Will (espically) and everyone else who has tried to help me, espically the dxdiag trick, thats helped a lot!
  • edited August 2008
    LAA - perhaps you can install it on a friend's computer and activate it there? The same code/your login should work. If it's simply that your hardware is a little too old maybe you know someone with a slightly better computer? Then both of you can play the game together and laugh at all the hilarious lines :)
  • LAALAA
    edited August 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    LAA - perhaps you can install it on a friend's computer and activate it there? The same code/your login should work. If it's simply that your hardware is a little too old maybe you know someone with a slightly better computer? Then both of you can play the game together and laugh at all the hilarious lines :)

Yeah, what a good idea!
    I'll try that when a go to one of my friend house!
This discussion has been closed.