Revenge of the "DLL" error! S&M2

edited August 2008 in Game Support
Sorry if this has been addressed previously, I scanned the forums (briefly) and found nothing similar to my problem that could help.

I just this week got the Sam & Max Season 2 DVD collection disc, installation went smoothly and the game launched on the first try (Nice using the C.O.P.S. as the Configuators, BTW) And the first thing the C.O.P.S. Asked me to do was Set Graphics settings. I have a widescreen monitor, Windows XP Runs on it in widescreen, yet. Every. Single. Video game I try to configure for Widescreen runs into some problem or another. Season 2 was no different, I Foolishly clicked "widescreen" when asked for display resolution, and that was the end of my Season 2 fun.. Any attempts to re-start the game have resulted in one error or another (Usually either a DLL error or a "this program has encountered an error and needs to close with a "Send Error" Button (which I've hit every time) I've deleted the prefs file, made sure all compatability boxes were unchecked, tried other episodes in the season, all to no avail. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

Oh and yeah, I'm running DirectX 9, Season one still plays fine, and MacAfee Shows no viruses.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• SegSeg
    edited August 2008
    First, let's get you back to being able to launch the game.

Being able to play again - Option 1:

Uninstall the game stating to NOT keep preferences and reinstall.

Being able to play again - Option 2:

Manually remove the file and registry key to clear things up. I'm going to assume this is for Episode 201, but this is applicable to all five of them.

You'll need to remove the prefs.prop file, located at the episode's folder in Program Files. Typically this is:

C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Sam and Max Season Two\Episode 201 - Ice Station Santa\

Then remove the registry key for the season.

1) Click "Start" -> "Run..."
    2) Type in "regedit" without quotes and hit enter.
    3) Navigate to the folder:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\Sam and Max Season Two\
    4) Remove that Season Two folder.

From there, launch the game again.

Fixing the Widescreen issue:

Obviously this is a larger issue than any individual game, but let's see what's going on here.

Can you tell me what is the make and model of the graphics card? Go to the Windows Display Properties and tell me what's listed under the text "Display:" in the Settings tab.

Having DirectX 9 is not the same as having all the 15 revisions all named "9.0c". It's good to run the DirectX Installer if you haven't done so in the past month. Even if you think you're up to date, DirectX can surprise you.
This discussion has been closed.