Correct resolution not an option?

edited September 2008 in Game Support
Just grabbed the season pass, and started to dig into episode 2. However, it looks like I can't actually use the native resolution of my monitor for some reason. My monitor is 1360x768, and the closest available option is 1280x720. When I use that resolution, it looks understandably ugly, since it isn't the right mode for my LCD.

Any hints or tips on how to get the game to actually use the correct resolutions my monitor supports, rather than just a list of what appears to be random resolutions? I'm running Vista x64 with the latest NVidia video drivers, if that makes a difference.

Considering that the game should be able to just query DirectX for the resolutions my monitor actually supports, this has me less than thrilled. Hopefully there's a simple solution.

Comments

• SegSeg
    edited September 2008
    It looks like the driver is doing some scaling. Let's fix that!

I'm going to tell you the name of the setting and what it needs to be set to, but since I don't know what your laptop is, what exact card, or what drivers you have installed, I sadly can't give you step-by-step instructions. If you have the NVidia control panel, you can launch this by right-clicking on the desktop and hitting 'NVidia Control Panel'. If you don't have this, I'm afraid you're going to have to do some looking around with the NVidia driver software that's on your computer.

What you need to find is something like "scaling" or "flat panel scaling". Then you need to set it to 'Do not scale' or some close facsimile. This will prevent the screen from artificially stretching the screen.
  • edited September 2008
    Seg wrote: »
    It looks like the driver is doing some scaling. Let's fix that!

Errr... I mean, it is doing scaling, from a lower resolution to the native resolution of my monitor, but that isn't really the problem. The problem is that the game won't let me pick the native resolution of my monitor as the one to display at.
    I'm going to tell you the name of the setting and what it needs to be set to, but since I don't know what your laptop is, what exact card, or what drivers you have installed, I sadly can't give you step-by-step instructions. If you have the NVidia control panel, you can launch this by right-clicking on the desktop and hitting 'NVidia Control Panel'. If you don't have this, I'm afraid you're going to have to do some looking around with the NVidia driver software that's on your computer.

What you need to find is something like "scaling" or "flat panel scaling". Then you need to set it to 'Do not scale' or some close facsimile. This will prevent the screen from artificially stretching the screen.

Well, I'm not on a laptop, a desktop actually, with a BFG 8800GT video card and NVidia's latest stable drivers (175.19). Even if I do what you're saying (as I know which option you're referring to), that'll just give me a 1280x720 windows surrounded by black edges on my 1360x768 monitor, which isn't what I want either. I want to be able to chose "1360x768" in the game, and have it display at the native resolution of my monitor, since my video card is more than capable of handling that.

How do I make that happen?

EDIT: Also, I just tried changing the scaling mode for my monitor, and the NVidia control panel just reverts it to "use display's scaling" after hitting apply, the setting doesn't stay.

So not a solution regardless.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. For various reasons, our games only support 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions (with 1280x1024 being an exception). So unfortunately there isn't any way to force it into a non-standard resolution.
  • edited September 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier. For various reasons, our games only support 4:3 and 16:9 resolutions (with 1280x1024 being an exception). So unfortunately there isn't any way to force it into a non-standard resolution.

Hi Will,

I can understand only supporting specific aspect ratios, due to layout constraints. However, my resolution (1360x768) is 16:9, and is a very common resolution for widescreen LCD TVs, which is what I'm using. So that rules out the aspect ratio problem, and the "non-standard" resolution problem.

So, again, I'd really like to have the games work at my native resolution.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    We'll do our best, though!
  • edited September 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    We'll do our best, though!

Great!

I'm actually pretty surprised that you don't just query DirectX for resolutions that match the aspect ratios you support, and then just show those. The only games I've seen recently that don't do that were bad Xbox 360 ports from Microsoft (since they don't seem to understand their own platform ;) ).

Oh well, here's hoping you guys get it sorted out before you're done all the Strong Bad games for this season. :)

Thanks!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Actually, Scott was misinformed on that. We do actually query the list and pull out all 16x9 and 4x3 resolutions. Problem is, 1360x768 is actually 15.9375x9 which enough to throw off the code. I've informed the guy in charge of that code and he is going to look into it, since that is such a minor distinction. Sorry for the confusion!
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, great, thanks Will!
This discussion has been closed.