Strongbad Episode 2 for PC keeps crashing upon start

edited September 2008 in Game Support
I just installed episode 2 but it keeps crashing when I try to start it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but I keep getting the same problem. What other fix is there to this?

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Is the wrapper crashing or are you hitting start game button and it crashes once loading? A lot of times this is caused by drivers. Try updating your video card drivers and directX.
  • edited September 2008
    Is the wrapper crashing or are you hitting start game button and it crashes once loading? A lot of times this is caused by drivers. Try updating your video card drivers and directX.

If it were the video card then the first episode wouldn't work and it starts up. The second episode isn't working. It crashes before it even goes into the start up screen.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    When you tried uninstalling and reinstalling, did you redownload the game from scratch?
  • edited September 2008
    Will wrote: »
    When you tried uninstalling and reinstalling, did you redownload the game from scratch?

Yes I did. That's how even got it to install because originally it was crashing on install.
  • edited September 2008
    I have this problem too. I click `start game`, it loads for a second, auto adjusts my monitor, then crashes. If I recall it's something to do with the resolution in the pref.prop file not being right for Vista or something like that. :confused:

I had the same problem with episode one but cannot for the life of me remember how I fixed it. :(
  • edited September 2008
    I hesitate to double post but this crash renders the game useless to me. :(

I remember someone hosted a pref.prop file last time for episode 1 and I had to use that to get it to work. Any idea what the issue is? :confused:
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    Here, try this one. You will have to unzip it of course, but that should work hopefully.
  • edited September 2008
    That worked perfectly. Much obliged. :)
  • edited September 2008
    Yeah, we had a repeat of the episode one problems. Basically, the game tries to start up at 640x480, and the minimum resolution on a lot of Vista machines is 800x600. The little "launch game" window works because it's not subject to the resolution settings of the main game, but when the game proper tries to load, it dumps back to the desktop. Thankfully the prefs.prop file is interchangeable between different episodes.
This discussion has been closed.