Strong Bad episode 101 demo not playing?

edited October 2008 in Game Support
Hey all...

I downloaded the demo (after all, who pays for a game without trying it?). But the demo doesn't work.

And by "doesn't work" I mean that after I click the Free demo button, the game quits.

Am I missing some step?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Wrong Forum.
  • edited October 2008
    Wrong Forum.

My apologies... I am new here and all. I thought "general discussion" would be a safe bet.

But instead of pointing out that I asked in the wrong place can anyone help?
    I'd really like to try the game, but even after re-downloading and reinstalling, it still doesn't let me try the demo.

Anyone? I'm handy with computers, but I am completely new to video games and this is confusing.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    someguyfromazoo: That's not at all helpful. The mods can take care of moving the thread to where it belongs without you jumping in to effectively steer the thread off topic needlessly. Thanks!

Cromletch -- It's coming up on midnight right now where Telltale's office is located (in California), but hopefully one of us will be able to help you out when we pile into the office tomorrow morning.

In the meantime, would you mind letting me know what sort of computer (and version of Windows -- XP or Vista?) you're running?
  • edited October 2008
    It's cool, as I'm in WA... same time zone!

Anyway, the machine is one I built. It has XP SP2, P4 3.0 ghz, 1 gb ram and an nvidia GE force 5900 (128 mb ram).

Thanks!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Hey Crom, to start with, have you tried re-downloading and installing the game from scratch? And when you installed, did you run the DirectX update? If not, that might also solve it.
  • edited October 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Crom, to start with, have you tried re-downloading and installing the game from scratch? And when you installed, did you run the DirectX update? If not, that might also solve it.

Yep, it updated direct X. After I tried like 10 times, I uninstalled the game. Then rebooted, then re-downloaded and reinstalled.
    Same results.

But the episode 2 demo works fine.

Strange, isn't it?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Hey Crom, can you try downloading and installing this file: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

It should update your graphics drivers. Still seems weird that 102 works, but not 101, I'll keep looking into it if this doesn't solve the problem.
  • edited October 2008
    Well, the issue had managed to be resolved... and the video drivers were not the cause (but thanks anyway, Will).

It's a long story that I'll make short. The wife is learning to program, and something she wrote did something to the computer.

As to what she did, we have no idea. The resolution came after we removed her program from the computer and did a system restore to the day before she compiled and ran it.

Strong Bad 101 worked after that. No clue what the program did, but at least it is resolved.

Thanks for the help anyway!
This discussion has been closed.