Sam and Max still freezes

edited October 2008 in Game Support
So I downloaded the demo for Sam and Max Night of the Raving Dead and whenever I leave to another area,the game either freezes up or just stays when you leave. Any ideas how to fix this?

I had this problem before.

Comments

• edited October 2008
    On a similar vein I have an issue which seems to be a memory leak. I have two machines that I've run S&M 203 on, one using Vista/NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, and the other running XP Pro/ATI MOBILITY Fire GL V3200 (yes, I know a laptop card).

When I first played on my Vista machine, all the episodes except this one behaved just fine. This one would after about 30-45 minutes of gameplay start thrashing my disk and page file usage would jump up by about 1 GB. This happened immediately after entering a new area, it happened in 3 different locations. This seems to be leaky behavior, as saving prior to entering a problematic location, then entering the location doesn't cause this behavior. I haven't been monitoring my page file's growth over time, I just notice it once thrashing occurs.

Tonight on my XP machine, I installed 203. When entering the Factory, I experienced high disk usage, massive paging (+900 MB to page file), but after several minutes the scene still had not changed. Not only was this very early in gameplay making me suspect it less as a leak, but I saw some months back someone else experienced issues at this same location. This seemed like as good a place as any though, since these amount to freezes effectively for me.

As a last note, for the problem on the XP machine, I used Alt+F4 first. This killed the window but the process was still running with a mem usage footprint of ~43MB until I forced an End Process.

If you need system specs /DxDiag let me know and I'll post them, but I'm hoping the video card should be the most relevant factor. These are both computers less than 4 years old with 1 GB or more of RAM.
  • edited October 2008
    I did a little more experimentation. By making my graphics "Low" on the XP machine, I can get into the Factory. However, the issue originally observed on my Vista machine still manifests on the XP machine - whether I go to W.A.R.P or straight back to "the office", when I go to buildings in the "office" area (I've tried both Sybil's and Stinky's), the hard drive thrashes, memory usage spikes. I can get into the next area, very slowly run through whatever scripts might be triggered, but the hard disk doesn't ever stop thrashing, and gameplay is slowed to unplayable (e.g. mouse moves jerkily).

This problem later crops up again once I've interacted with the monster. I suspect it may have something to do with leaving the Factory.
  • edited October 2008
    Well if I unplug my internet, it works fine buts soon gets a error message about the DLL.

NEW PROBLEM!
This discussion has been closed.