Is it possible for Telltale to re-release Sam and Max Hit the Road?

edited November 2008 in Sam & Max
I was thinking about this a couple of days ago while talking with my friend about the awesomeness that is Sam and Max. :P
I never got a chance to play it, and I can't do any of that, "rip it from the floppy and emulate it on the Wii/DS" stuff.

So it's probably been asked before, but is it possible for Telltale to re-release it?

Comments

• edited October 2008
    Nope, we don't own the rights to Hit the Road, LucasArts does. Sorry :(
  • edited October 2008
    Aw, that's too bad. :(
    It's a shame LucasArts isn't even doing anything with it....
    If it was re-released, I know I'd buy it as soon as it came out!
  • edited October 2008
    There's a few places here in the UK selling it (saw it and The Dig in a supermarket the other day for £5 each) so if you're happy to import it, have a look at some UK shop sites.
  • edited October 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    There's a few places here in the UK selling it (saw it and The Dig in a supermarket the other day for £5 each) so if you're happy to import it, have a look at some UK shop sites.

amazon and the others dont import games to the us
  • edited October 2008
    Yeah, actually I'm having trouble finding any UK sites that stock it.

Morisson's bricks and mortar shops definitely have it in though.
  • edited October 2008
    If you do find it, you can run it with scummvm which even has a wii port now.
  • edited October 2008
    Quuux wrote: »
    ... has a wii port now.

Which is really confusing.
  • edited October 2008
    Quuux wrote: »
    If you do find it, you can run it with scummvm which even has a wii port now.

the newest release works on all windows operating systems without need for scummvm
  • edited October 2008
    ...or you could try to find an old cd-version on ebay and run that with scummvm. i wouldn't trust a floppy version though. do floppies still work?
  • edited October 2008
    Floppy version won't have speech though.
  • edited October 2008
    I recently obtained a copy of Quest for Glory from 1990, which I think would've worked perfectly if the files on disk 2 hadn't inexplicably been identical to the files on disk 1, so yes, floppies still work.

They are rewritable, though, and it's possible that they could've become corrupted.
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, I got the DOS version of Hit the Road in SCUMMVM, now they talk in the opening, but when they get back to the office there's no speech audio. Can someone help me?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.
  • edited October 2008
    Ok, I actually have another question. XD
    How do you save when using SCUMMVM?
    I didn't see any menus or anything to save my progress in S&M Hit the Road.
    And when I turned it off I started from the beginning.
  • edited October 2008
    Press F5.
  • edited October 2008
    Can't TellTale just make a Sam and Max game that's very similar to Hit the Road? Maybe it would just have a different name and some little changes here and there so they could claim it's not a remake?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2008
    Why would we do that, though? That game already exists!
  • edited October 2008
    Yep, can't see the point in that myself - Hit The Road already exists and isn't really THAT hard to get a hold of. A search on eBay.com.au comes up with 14 copies of it (for Mac & PC) under $35AU - some brand new. The new version will work on XP/Vista, and all that's needed for the old version to work is to take a couple of files and run them in ScummVM. Easy stuff.

Hit the Road was (and still is) a great game, but I don't see the need to remake it unnecessarily. A graphical upgrade really isn't needed, and it wouldn't bring anything new to the game. Just enjoy it for what it is ^_^
  • edited October 2008
    TechNick wrote: »
    Can't TellTale just make a Sam and Max game that's very similar to Hit the Road? Maybe it would just have a different name and some little changes here and there so they could claim it's not a remake?

Maybe Steve should re-do all the Sam & Max comics in CGI too.
  • edited November 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Maybe Steve should re-do all the Sam & Max comics in CGI too.
    And record the TV show live-action.
  • edited November 2008
    TechNick wrote: »

Thaaaaaat's plagiarism.
  • edited November 2008
    There are plenty of Sam and Max: Hit the Road copies to go around on eBay. A quick search gave 14 hits. That's more than enough if you want just one, right? You can get it for under $10, and that's the LucasArts Classics version that will work on both XP and Vista with no need for ScummVM.

To check out eBay offers, click -> HERE

No matter what version you will decide to get, you can use it with ScummVM to run Sam & Max on a device of your choice. I always have Sam & Max with me!

ScummVMNintendoDSSamAndMax.jpg ScummVMNintendoDSSamAndMaxN73.jpg

I recently played through Hit the Road on my DS and it worked fine. I did encounter two bugs [Conroy Bumpus song bug and Out of memory bug during the VR machine scene] but they won't stop you from finishing the game.

Why would anyone want Telltale to re-release Hit the Road? It's everywhere, it's cheap and it will even play on your microwave if there's a ScummVM port for it.
  • edited November 2008
    By the way, I got Hit the Road and played it on that SCUMMVM thing..........

AND I LOVE IT!!! :D
  • edited November 2008
    It's been released, five times no less. I don't think we need another.

1. Floppy
    2. CD
    3. CD Talkie
    4. DVD case CD Talkie coupled with Day Of The Tentacle
    5. DVD case CD Talkie with capability to run without ScummVM

The only reason for rereleasing the game again would be if you really can't be bothered to buy it from eBay, or download it, as to my knowledge the non talkie version is now considered abandonware.
  • edited November 2008
    *singing* "I remember my childhood in Brighton. When dear old dad would bounce me on his knee..."

I still have my original cd talkie boxed version, hurray! :p The cd-rom also has some cd audio tracks... great to put in my new S&M playlist, now including season 2 OST.
  • edited November 2008
    2. CD
    3. CD Talkie

There is no CD version that is not talkie. That was the point on having it on a CD back then - There was just no way to have all that speech on floppies. And there is no point in having a 10 meg. non talkie game on a CD.
    as to my knowledge the non talkie version is now considered abandonware.

Even if Hit the Road was abandonware [and it's not], it still would be illegal to spread it. Abandonware is not freeware. It's a term that helps people who download games to think they aren't actually stealing it.

Besides, it's not like you can't get it. I'm sure there still are places where you can get a sealed copy of the classics edition. I got a brand new, shrinkwrapped copy of Outlaws back in June, so anything is possible.
  • edited November 2008
    Morden wrote: »
    There is no CD version that is not talkie.
    that is not 100% true. you are right, that the original retail releases of hit the road and day of the tentacle featured voices only for the intros and the later released cd-version was the real deal...but there existed versions of the floppy thinig on cd. these were mostly released on some kind of magazine-cd. they put the floppy version on their cd and called it cd release. i found out the hard way, when i tried to get the cd-versions for day of the tentacle and loom. i already owned the original floppy editions, but wanted the enhanced ones too...and now i have several floppy version of these games. i think, i still don't own the full talkie of tentacle...
  • edited November 2008
    I was thinking about this a couple of days ago while talking with my friend about the awesomeness that is Sam and Max. :P
    I never got a chance to play it, and I can't do any of that, "rip it from the floppy and emulate it on the Wii/DS" stuff.

So it's probably been asked before, but is it possible for Telltale to re-release it?

Just play it on your PC.
  • edited November 2008
    LikaLaruku wrote: »
    Just play it on your PC.
    I didn't know a PC game from 1998 would work on Vista though.

Also, I've stated two times that I've gotten HTR to work on SCUMMVM, so there's no need to bump this by answering my question anymore.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.