Sam and Max Season 1 and NAV 2009

edited January 2009 in Game Support
Warning for anyone thinking of upgrading to Norton Antivirus 2009 - it seems that this is completely incompatible with the DVD version of Sam and Max Season 1.
I installed Sam and Max on my system a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine. The only glitch in installation was that Autorun did not work so I installed it manually.
I discovered at the weekend that it would not run any more. Searching on here I found various issues with Securom and DVD writing software (and I do have the Sonic DLA s/w).

Edit: the problem which I had was the Securom "No disc inserted" message even when the DVD had been [re-]inserted.

After searching here and elsewhere I tried the following:
  1. Disable DLA (as documented by Securom)
  2. Turn off NAV 2009 Auto-Protect
  3. Stop Norton completely (using "net stop...")
  4. Installing the patch for Securom crashes
None of these worked. We had realized that I had upgraded the copy of Norton Antivirus on my system from 2006 to 2009. So the final solution we tried was to uninstall 2009 and re-install 2006 - this worked once I had uninstalled the patch. (With the patch on my system the game crashes).

There are many references to the Securom software clashing with anti-virus software, but clearly it works OK with NAV 2006.

Although I know that NAV 2009 is not perfect (it breaks hotkeys amongst other things) in this case I think that it is probably the Securom software which is at fault.
Is it possible that Securom recognises NAV 2006 and "allows" the game to run, but only detects NAV 2009 as "suspicious"?
Whatever the reason, this is not good and I have to agree with all of those who say that you need a better copy-protection system.
For now I can continue running NAV 2006, but in the future this will probably not be an option!

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Update: it seems that the problems are probably with Norton Internet Security 2009 and not Norton Antivirus 2009.
    What I original installed to "upgrade" to 2009 was a free update pushed down by Norton which seems to have included at least some extra features which are not included in a clean install of NAV 2009.
    I have now re-installed Norton Antivirus 2009 from CD and Sam and Max will now work as it should do.
This discussion has been closed.