Did anyone else notice this?

edited November 2008 in Sam & Max
In a lot of episodes, Sam always mentions how Max doesn't like girls, and some characters even hint at them being a couple (in the show and the game). Is it just me, or does anyone else think that they should be a couple?
Sorry if this is weird, I just had to say something about it.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Oh that's just rediculous! As if they WEREN'T. ANd no it's pretty impossible to not think even once that they share the bed. Come on people you know it's true! I can't believe I didn't make this topic.
  • edited November 2008
    ...and it begins
  • edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure Max not liking girls is supposed to imply that he's asexual, not gay. Also, they tend to react with disgust at being implicated as a couple. Also also, according to the Chariot of the Dogs commentary, the original puzzle to get Max to like girls was changing to incident that turned him off girls in the first place, which was having to kiss Sam's female cousin in a game of spin the bottle. I think they think of each other as brothers. Probably not consciously, though.

That said, I find shipping of all kinds entertaining, up to the point where people start taking it too seriously, or making it seem like the thing it's based on is all about romance, like some parts of the Phoenix Wright fandom*, so if you want to ship them, that'd be cool.

*I'm not going to stop people from doing it. I just don't like it.
    xChri5x wrote: »
    ...and it begins
    It began some time ago, actually.
  • edited November 2008
    I've already written a mini article (and the awesome Shwoo corrected it :p ) about this subject:
    The Sam & Max Wiki!

So how I see it, people pick and choose scenes/quotes/whatever for their conclusions and ignore other, contradicting evidence.

But, I also feel that Sam and Max's personalities are oddly complex. Sticking them in one category or another, you are going to neglect something.
    Shwoo wrote: »
    or making it seem like the thing it's based on is all about romance

I second that statement. But who am I kidding? Hormonal fans will believe whatever they want to believe. That rings true with any work of fiction (or even non-fiction... ...scary). ^^;
  • edited November 2008
    *grumble* Stupid rule 34 website...
  • edited November 2008
    I never said I thought they were but I have thought about it numerous numerous times. Sam & Max confuse on every level!
  • edited November 2008
    You got that right. Perhaps it's just a twisted joke.
  • edited November 2008
    I wrote a long reply and the forum didn't post it properly. Hate it when that happens.
    Breakman wrote: »
    I've already written a mini article (and the awesome Shwoo corrected it :p ) about this subject:
    The Sam & Max Wiki!
    :o
    And I'd forgotten about the wedding thing... Hmm.
    Zootch wrote:
    *grumble* Stupid rule 34 website...
    What, did you look?

You know, if the Sam & Max universe was anything like the real world, not counting the talking animals, the living statues, the rat and cockroach societies on the moon and the sentient colonies of space faring bacteria that feed on human happiness, there'd be probably be in-universe Max/Sam.

Considering that a)Max is president of the US and so pretty well known but probably not well respected considering how psycho he is, b)he's almost always with Sam and that would at least drive celebrity gossip publications to speculate on the nature of their relationship and c)though RPF squicks me, I've seen Australian politician slash, I don't think it's much of a stretch.

Which is hilarious.
  • edited November 2008
    They can elect Jimmy Carter, anyone can be elected.
    (You can even be an inexperienced immigrant)
  • edited November 2008
    smwgu2.jpg
  • edited November 2008
    No! No that's just wrong...
  • edited November 2008
    This is kind of off topic, but it sort of fits into here somewhere. Is Max adopted by Sam's parents or something? Every episode I've seen of their childhood, they were always living together. I've seen Sam's grandma, so they're not both adopted, and Sam mentioned them burying his dad's briefcase (or something along those lines) in the Final Episode. Never have they shown or mentioned Max's parents, except once in Reality 2.0 when Max says his mom will kill him if he comes home with more magic beans.
    Do I smell a fanfic?
  • edited November 2008
    ...Ooh! Fun theory. Good explanation for why they used to take baths together, too.

Knowing who his family is, which he clearly does, wouldn't prevent him from being adopted, either. But there's this interview to consider:
    How and where did you both meet?

Sam: In the 12th Century I was a club-footed nomadic stone mason and Max was a bog person. Our colorful misadventures are the stuff of many a strolling medieval troubadour.

Max: Really? Cause I thought we met in third grade when I stole back your sack lunch from that kindergartener that beat the snot out of you.

Sam: Oh yeah. I forgot.
    I take this as canon for several reasons: It's awesome, Steve Purcell wrote it, and it's pretty close to how I'd imagined they'd met.
    Do I smell a fanfic?
    That's probably me. Sorry about that. I often smell like fanfiction.

I had something else to say, but I forgot what it was. I'm sure it'll come to me.
  • edited November 2008
    If you write fanfiction, and it's good, you gotta send it to me. :P
  • edited November 2008
    Okay! I've been trying for a while, but I've been kind of bad at motivating myself to write anything lately, and their speech patterns are difficult to mimic. I have about a billion ideas, though.
  • edited November 2008
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    If you write fanfiction, and it's good

The world has ended.
  • edited November 2008
    Saw that coming.

I don't want to argue the reasons why fanfiction doesn't have to suck here. Just live and let live, please.
  • edited November 2008
    Saw that coming.

I don't want to argue the reasons why fanfiction doesn't have to suck here. Just live and let live, please.

Didn't mean any offense by it. I simply meant that I haven't been able to find any S&M fanfics that are worth reading, that's all.
  • edited November 2008
    Neither have I, and it's frustrating. I was talking to MaxFan.
  • edited November 2008
    Personally, I think the two consider each other as brothers.

In the animated series,max refers Sam's Grandma and Dad, well, Grandma and Dad. No, Mr.-insert Sam's last name here- or something.
  • edited November 2008
    99% of all fan fictions are bad, and 100% of all fan fictions are pointless.

75% are existing cannon stories with the addition of a one-dimensional Mary-Sue for no reason whatsoever.
  • edited November 2008
    All I can say is that friendship is a bizare phenomena.
  • edited November 2008
    vyperspit wrote: »
    All I can say is that friendship is a bizare phenomena.

Exactly X3
  • edited November 2008
    This is kind of off topic, but it sort of fits into here somewhere. Is Max adopted by Sam's parents or something? Every episode I've seen of their childhood, they were always living together. I've seen Sam's grandma, so they're not both adopted, and Sam mentioned them burying his dad's briefcase (or something along those lines) in the Final Episode. Never have they shown or mentioned Max's parents, except once in Reality 2.0 when Max says his mom will kill him if he comes home with more magic beans.
    Do I smell a fanfic?

You should check out the comics there's one where in the last panel they show both Sam and Max's families.
  • edited November 2008
    Will do! Thanks!
    And also, I started writing a fanfic about Max's childhood, and my friends thought it was really cute. Although, I kind of did get a little out of character with Max, but this was probably BEFORE he became messed up in the head. (No offense, Max)
  • edited November 2008
    I'd be interested to see that fic. But I hope you kept the world in character even if it's plausible that Max wouldn't behave exactly the same way that he does as an adult. I've seen too many fics in where the characters are a different age and suddenly nothing bizarre happens anymore. Just wanted to bring that up.

Personally, I think Max was always that crazy, and Sam used to be shy and bookish. Being friends with Max made him more impulsive and extroverted. I suppose I base this opinion on playing Chariots of the Dogs over and over.
  • edited November 2008
    I believe that Max corrupted himself by going back in time that first time in "A Glitch in Time", because they never really fixed that. But then... where did he get the crazyness from in the first place?
    T'is a mystery.
  • edited November 2008

it began some time ago, actually.

i said i was sorry:(
  • edited November 2008
    I believe that Max corrupted himself by going back in time that first time in "A Glitch in Time", because they never really fixed that. But then... where did he get the crazyness from in the first place?
    T'is a mystery.

Well obviously its a paradox. Max corrupted himself in the past, and since he does this in "A Glitch in Time" then when he reaches that point in his life where he goes back in time and corrupts himself... he does it again because I'm making no sense now... but yeah its a paradox.

I think I made my head hurt...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.