Problems running full version of Bone

edited October 2006 in Game Support
Last night I purchased and downloaded the full version of Bone, and it ran perfectly for the first day. This morning I tried to run it again, but the splash screen appeared at the start prompting me to buy the full version (which I have already purchased). I have selected the "Activate a previous purhcase" option, but when I enter my order number and password it says that the key has already been installed on the maximum number of computers. When I try the manual key entry button, it comes up with a box where I am supposed to input my key, but I don't know it.

I have e-mailed customer support but it is Saturday and I don't imagine they would get back to me for a few days yet. Please help, as I would like to get back into the game but am stuck at the title screen for the moment.

Tom.

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Hello Tom.
    First, clear your temp directories.

Then try this:

Step 1: Go to http://www.findmyorder.com. Enter you order number and password and click submit.

Step 2: Right click on the "Begin HTTP Download" button.

Step 3: Choose "Save Target As"

Step 4: Choose where you would like to save your download. We recommend saving it to your Desktop. Click "Save". Your Software will begin downloading at this time.

Step 5: Once your download is complete, you must install it. To easily install your software, go to where you saved the download and double click on the software icon. This will begin your installation process.

When installed, try running Bone again. This time, there won't be any code to type into the game.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2006
    Thanks, Jannar!

Tom, please let us know if that works. (And welcome to the forum!)
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for the help, but unfortunately the splash screen still appears, even after deleting all of my temp files and reinstalling the game. And when I exit from the splash screen the demo version of the game runs. This is the message that appears:

"This key has already been activated on the maximum number of computers. If you believe this is mistaken, please contact customer service at 800-656-5426 and reference code ARM1022."

I've now contacted customer services (support@telltalegames.com) requesting my key, but am wondering if there is anything else I can try to run the game while waiting.

Thanks for the welcome by the way. I'm looking forward to getting past this problem and enjoying this game and its sequel.
  • edited April 2006
    No problem, Emily :)
    Tom, are you sure you ran the new installer? There shouldn't be any activation related issues if you installed from that location, AFAIK.

It's strange that you got that message, though.
    The splash screen shouldn't appear, when you have already activated the game.

But try this:
    On the splash page that pops up, there's a red Customer Service link in the top left corner.

Click on that, and a box pops up where you can enter your order number and password, and select to 'reissue key'.

If this doesn't work for you, then the support will need the following:
    Full Name
    Hardware Fingerprint
    Order #

Also, the steps I described in my last post, make sure you uninstalled it before installing it again.
  • edited April 2006
    Jannar,

Yes, I have completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it using the new installer. The red words at the top-left corner of the splash screen are "Manual Key Entry", and when I enter the order number and password this leads me back to the message I posted previously. Reissuing the key is not an option as it seems that the maximum number of keys have been used, even though I am only using the original key that was automatically installed with the purchased game. I have contacted customer services with the relevant information now (I didn't send my hardware fingerprint in the first e-mail) so hopefully they will get back to me soon. Thanks again for all the help,

Tom.
    edited April 2006
    Sorry to hear about the problems, Tom. :( I know how disappointing it can be not to get a game running! Seems like I only ever have this sort of problem on the weekends...

Our customer service representative will get back to you soon.
  • edited April 2006
    Support has now sent me my registration key and the full version of the game is now working (without any splash screen appearing. Yay!). Thanks again.
    edited April 2006
    Glad to hear it! Have fun. :)
  • edited April 2006
    Same problems for me but I don't have a download button when I go to the site mentioned. I see my invoice but no download button. I paid for this via PayPal and it's showing up paid in my PayPal account. All I can play is the trial version though and I guess it's limited and doesn't save and also let you get beyond the first part of the fair where fone does his thing. This is REALLY frustrating. Especially because it doesn't save so if I ever do get this to work, I'll have to go back and do the whole thing over. Can't they get this together? What's the problem?
  • edited April 2006
    :( I can't download at all. I get the icon on the desktop to download and then get the following error...

Problem encountered with Internet Connection
    (ARM 1054, 12029)

Any clue what this is. My internet connection is working fine.
    Thanks for any help.

Kim
    edited April 2006
    Same problems for me but I don't have a download button when I go to the site mentioned. I see my invoice but no download button. I paid for this via PayPal and it's showing up paid in my PayPal account. All I can play is the trial version though and I guess it's limited and doesn't save and also let you get beyond the first part of the fair where fone does his thing.

Okay, please try this:

When you launch The Great Cow Race you'll get a Reminder screen:

reminder.png

In the lower left corner it says "I've Already Purchased This". Click there.

Next you'll get a window asking you to type in your order number and password (the one you created when you placed the order). Type these in. The next time you run the game, it should activate automatically and the full version will be unlocked.

If for some reason this doesn't work, send an email to support@telltalegames.com, along with your order number, and we will unlock the game manually for you. (After you click "I've Already Purchased This", you may be given some information that you need to submit to customer service, such as a hardware fingerprint number -- if so, please include this in your email.)
    This is REALLY frustrating. Especially because it doesn't save so if I ever do get this to work, I'll have to go back and do the whole thing over. Can't they get this together? What's the problem?

I agree with you -- it IS really frustrating. Don't worry, though; we'll get it working. :)
    edited April 2006
    :( I can't download at all. I get the icon on the desktop to download and then get the following error...

Problem encountered with Internet Connection
    (ARM 1054, 12029)

Hi, Kim. I'm not sure what the problem could be, but I'll look into it for you. It's The Great Cow Race that you're trying to download, right?
  • edited April 2006
    Yes, The Great Cow Race. I tried to play the demo and then do the "I purchased this" thing but I can't even download that. I get the same error message.
    edited April 2006
    I may have misunderstood your first post. So you ARE able to download and install The Great Cow Race onto your computer, but you get the error message when you try to activate the full version? Are you able to play the demo? (What does the icon on your desktop look like -- is it a disk with an arrow on it, or is it a cow's head?)

Please send an email to support@telltalegames.com with your order number. It sounds like you may have a firewall or some other internet setting that's preventing the activation.
  • edited April 2006
    Hi Emily,

The Icon I have is a "DR with an arrow." I click on that and it brings up a box that I choose save or run. Either one I choose, it gives another box with the dowload button. When I click on that, I get the error message. No, I cannot play the demo. The same thing happens. I can't seem to download the game in any form. I tried turning off the firewall, but it is still the same.

I will copy this to your e mail.

Thanks,
    Kim
    edited April 2006
    Thanks, Kim. Someone here is going to look into this for you. :)
  • edited April 2006
    When you launch The Great Cow Race you'll get a Reminder screen:

In the lower left corner it says "I've Already Purchased This". Click there.

Next you'll get a window asking you to type in your order number and password (the one you created when you placed the order). Type these in. The next time you run the game, it should activate automatically and the full version will be unlocked.

If for some reason this doesn't work, send an email to support@telltalegames.com, along with your order number, and we will unlock the game manually for you.

Before I posted, I had already tried doing ALL that you suggested. I had even had my password sent to me just in case I was mistyping that. Everything was correct, but it still didn't work.

It took 8 hours from I sent the email to support for someone to respond. Finally, at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon, I got the manual unlock info and when I used that it worked. I realize your support team can't work all the time and I know you're in CA, I'm in FL. But don't you think this is something that you should jump right on during business hours? Especially during the first few days after release when you know there are going to be problems? There's nothing more frustrating than buying a game and wanting to play it and then finding there's a problem even though your money has been accepted. It's one thing if it's a problem with the customer's machine, but this wasn't my problem. It was yours.

I had played the trial a few times while waiting for a response and it NEVER saved. My experience with the first Bone game which I bought through Yahoo! Games was that it *did* save when the trial expired and when I paid for it, I could just pick up where I left off. Of course, because of that experience, I expected the same thing to happen with this one. Instead, the trial of this "chapter" was for a piece of the game sort of in the middle and it didn't save. So, I had to do everything all over again. And the cowrace game was not easy for me to win so I was most frustrated about that part. At that point, I felt like shattering the monitor!

Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot. That's why I bought the second one. But surely there is a more efficient way to handle the unlock if you guys can't respond to emails for 8 hours? I'm a web developer and we've found ways to securely help people restore downloads for their clients. I know you're using Digital River to handle this for you but if it's this cumbersome, perhaps you should build your own system.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Siobhan
    edited April 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, Siobhan. I'm glad you finally got your game working.
    It took 8 hours from I sent the email to support for someone to respond. Finally, at 2:30 p.m. that afternoon, I got the manual unlock info and when I used that it worked. I realize your support team can't work all the time and I know you're in CA, I'm in FL. But don't you think this is something that you should jump right on during business hours? Especially during the first few days after release when you know there are going to be problems?

We're doing everything we can to get the issues that come through support@telltalegames.com and this forum resolved as quickly as possible. I'm sorry it took eight hours from the time you sent the email for our customer service rep to get back to you, but I can assure you he did get the response out as quickly as he was able to... I was sitting right next to him at the time. :)

I had played the trial a few times while waiting for a response and it NEVER saved. My experience with the first Bone game which I bought through Yahoo! Games was that it *did* save when the trial expired and when I paid for it, I could just pick up where I left off. Of course, because of that experience, I expected the same thing to happen with this one. Instead, the trial of this "chapter" was for a piece of the game sort of in the middle and it didn't save.

This is good feedback. I'll pass it along to the "powers that be" to consider for the next game. I had a lot of trouble with that cow race game the first time I played it, too, so I think I'd be in the same boat as you if I had to play it again after buying the full game!
    I know you're using Digital River to handle this for you but if it's this cumbersome, perhaps you should build your own system.

Believe me, we've considered it. ;)

Once again, I'm sorry that you had a frustrating experience activating the game, and I'm glad it's been resolved. Thanks for the feedback.
  • edited September 2006
    i'm having the exact same problem that the original poster had with act one - i tried putting in my order # & password, uninstalling it, etc. but it still says that i'm playing the demo though i bought the two pack on the 14th (GCR works fine, though). i emailed customer support for help sunday but have yet to hear from them. i really want to play the game but can't really do anything with it...
    edited September 2006
    Steve, I emailed you back (through our support system), I think it was Monday. You didn't get that email?

I'm going to send you the info in a PM.
  • edited October 2006
    I am having a right load of trouble trying to activate my copy of Bone also, I got the double pack off the site and paid straight away via PayPal my payment cleared instantly. I have recieved no conformation email with my details and when I try and enter my order number and password to activate it i get the message ' your purchase is not compleate please reattempt payment' I sent 2 emails to customer support both of which have not yet been answered, so i thought i'd post here to see if anyone could help.
    edited October 2006
    Where did you send those emails? They haven't come in to our support address (I just checked).

Please send me a PM with your order number and I'll get this taken care of for you right away.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks Emily,
    I have just sent you a PM now.
    I was sending the mail from the Digital River activation support window when I chose to activate this product now.
    It does seem quite odd I can't find any record of my transaction anywhere but my PayPal account.
This discussion has been closed.