Telltale fans interview Part-2

edited May 2005 in General Chat
Okay here's the list. Only 20 maybe chosen. Let's nominate a couple of the rougher questions to kick out, affectively leaving us with the pedigree stuff. I think the rule should be set that anyone who submitted a question should have at least 1 of their questions get in.
Red=nominated for elimination
Blue=removed by owner
1. What does it take to start a company like Telltale? -Burn
2. Does Bone have a release date been set? -Alucard
3. Can we expect to see a Bone demo in the near future? -Alucard
4. Will Bone be released in Retail stores? -Alucard
5. Will the 3D engine you have developed/ are developing ever be licensed for use by a 3rd party developer? -JP
6. What are your potential distribution and marketing channels for bone outside the internet? -JP
7.How do you propose to market the Bone games to Bone/comic fans, rather than adventure games? -JP
8. Anything about the deceased Sam and Max Freelance Police you can share? -Udvarnorky
9. Were there any other franchises besides Sam and Max you were considering? -Burn
10/11.How can one go about auditioning for a Telltale game?-misanthrope
12. Are you going to produce translated versions of your games? -Diduz
13. Is the game engine full real time 3D or simply classic 2D/3D hybrid? -Diduz
14. Is Blades of Stenchtar going to be a real game? -ThreeHeadedMonkey
15. Whatever happened to the whole in Brendan's closet? -ThreeHeadedMonkey
16. Was Dank always going to be a comic? -Burn
17. What sort of developement tools are you using to create the game? -Vark
18. What games are your major influences on the design of Bone? -Vark
19. How do you plan to market Bone? -Vark
20. In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be following the cursor around. Do you plan to create interactivity between the characters and player? -Vark
21. How has Telltale Texas Hold Em' performed in contrast to your expectations? -Vark
22. What is the most difficult part for working at Telltale? -Burn
23. Are you going to cater to the still significant part of the gaming community (especially outside of the USA) who are not broadband enabled and for whom a 15 MB download is offputting? -JP
24. How often will the episodes of Bone be released? -spf1978
25. How much will the episodes cost? -spf1978
26. Will the Bone games include the infamous "cut-scenes" that many other adventure games employ as a story-telling device? -spf1978
27. What are your future plans for the characters from TT Texas Holdem? -spf1978
28. How did you get to be so cool? -spf1978
29. Whats the pay structure for those at tell tale? -Alucard
30. What does an entry level position make vs a lead? -Alucard
31. What are the hours like?(hopefully not as evil as EA =P) -Alucard
32. Will there be a physical medium avialable for BONE? In otherwords a CD. -smileyfaceman
33. Will the supporting characters have some kind of AI or will they just have set dialogue paths like previous adventure games? -smileyfaceman
34. Will there be multiple player-controlled characters per title? -smileyfaceman
35. How would someone go about getting an entry level position at TellTale if they have little to no industry experiance? -smileyfaceman
36. You were mentioning in an early interview that you were planning to have a schedule eventually for episodic releases of several game-series, is that something you're still planning to do, or is Bone the main focus for now?- Apignarb
37. Are you planning to exclusively distribute all your games electronically, or are you considering other options aswell? -Apignarb
38. What can we expect from the game-engine, how is it shaping up? -Apignarb
39. Being that many of you were on the Sam&Max team, and founding TellTale was in part inspired by the cancellation of that project, do you have any juicy tidbits to share with us about the game, or the making of the game? -Apignarb
40. Don't you think it's a bit of a risky move to exclusively distributed your games digitally, seeing as most companies who have walked that road before you, has failed? -Apignarb
41. How will you succeed, where others have failed? -Apignarb
42. Describe a typical workday at TellTale. -Apignarb
43. Do you have any plans for any other games than Bone yet, maybe even working on other ideas during the development of Bone? -Apignarb
44. Who killed Brendan? -Apignarb
45.TO KEVIN Will we see "buttless ice chaps" in any of Telltale's games? -Jub
46. Who's Brendan? -misanthrope

Nomination Tally
25/45 20 questions left.

Question Tally

Alucard -6
Burn -4
JP -4
Udvanorky -1
Misanthrope -3
Diduz -2
ThreeHeadedMonkey -2
Vark -5
spf1978 -5
Smileyfaceman -4
Apignarb -9
Jub -1

Comments

• edited April 2005
    id throw out

25. How much will the episodes cost?
    because thay are not gonna answer this
    28. How did you get to be so cool?
    29. Whats the pay structure for those at tell tale? again why would they answer this
    35. How would someone go about getting an entry level position at TellTale if they have little to no industry experiance? -smileyfaceman im pretty sure the answer is they wouldnt so id leave this off 2
  • edited April 2005
    I'm going to nominate
    14, because I think the answer is pretty obvious
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks for leading on this Burn.

I would say that #44 seems like an obvious joke - although I woudn't mind throwing a few of those type in there anyway. Also although I agree with the sentiment of #40 - I think it comes off a bit to antagonistic and #19 and #23 basically cover the same ground as #40 without sounding whiny. (no offense intended Apignarb)
  • edited April 2005
    good job. I say cut the
    44. Who killed Brendan? -Apignarb
    31. What are the hours like?(hopefully not as evil as EA =P) -Alucard
    I also second all the ones already nominated
  • edited April 2005
    I agree that 19 and 23 basically cover the same ground as 40. Those could all be nominated, as my #37 covers the whole area around those type of questions.

Also I nominate/remove my #41, i think that was a part of #40, or just a result of me being heavily "medicated".
  • edited April 2005
    I'd cut all the salary questions since thats usually not something they'll talk about (for those interested in industry pay just go over to gamasutra.com, they post a yearly salary survey. Between that and a cost of living index you can get a ballpark figure for what positions pay what in which cities.

Then there's a few questions about the digital distribution that can be combined into one question.
  • edited April 2005
    I think those already suggested would be good cuts.

I'll add (#3), because either a demo will come out, or it won't.

And we can cut down many by consolidating simliar questions.
  • edited April 2005
    I've added all of those, by the way Apignarb, I broke 40 and 41 apart because it was kind of and multipart question.
  • edited April 2005
    ok I say cut 45 and 46 too those won't yield too much
  • edited April 2005
    4 and 40 seem pretty much the same.
    I guess you could cut my other one about pay. Though I am interested in finding out what they are paying compared to other places since I will be looking for a job soon
  • edited April 2005
    We can't cut 45 because it'd Jubs only question.
  • edited April 2005
    maybe we can convince him to ask something else =P. but yeah I guess it's only fair that everyone who posts a question gets a chance.
  • edited April 2005
    Here's the questions I'm MOST interested in knowing the answers to:

3 (unless this has already been answered somewhere else)
    6 (getting an answer to this will also cover #4 #32,and #37)

Here's the questions I'm LEAST interested in:

just my 2 cents
  • edited April 2005
    (on your elimination list) We can only cut 15 or 14 because they were ThreeHeadedMonkeys only 2 question.
  • edited April 2005
    I haven't contributed anything to this fan interview, but I have an observation. I think there might be way too many YES/NO questions being asked. While Telltale may offer some explanations beyond a simple yes or no, they probably wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as the answers to questions that ask "what", "why", and "how".
  • edited April 2005
    Agreed. Should probably try to steer clear from "Will you?" and "How many?/How much?" questions unless they cant be said any other way, or at least massage them (preferably sensually) into something that can get a more interesting answer.
  • edited April 2005
    Okay I went through the list and cornered 2 conflicting questions and a bit of a yes/no question which i think can be reworked.
    I added 4, 32 and 40.

4. This is a marketing question. There is alot of marketing questions which I think should be summed up by 1 or 2 questions.
    32. This question is likely to be answered by question 4.
    40. This question i think could be messed around a bit so it asks Telltales opinion rather than putting a gun to their back and making them sign a confession to a crime they didn't commit.
  • edited April 2005
    Burn, great job first of all. But I actually wanted to squish my 2 questions into one. I want it to be this : How can one go about auditioning for a Telltale game?
  • edited April 2005
    Done. Anyone else want to reword their questions? Take into consideration what atwking4 and ja2ke have said about yes and no questions.
  • edited April 2005
    (on your elimination list) We can only cut 15 or 14 because they were ThreeHeadedMonkeys only 2 question.

I don't really care what happens to mine. I was trying to think of something good but I couldn't so I just threw those two on the table.
  • edited April 2005
    I went through the Newsarama interview. There were a couple of already answered questions.

I also nominated

If your upset I nominated your question, I also gave two of my own question the axe.
  • edited April 2005
    Here's the ROUGH draft of the list. If you have any complaints post below, but get it done as soon as possible.

Can we expect to see a Bone demo in the near future? -Alucard

How do you propose to market the Bone games to Bone/comic fans, rather than adventure games? JP

What were the other franchises besides Sam and Max and Bone that you were considering? Burn

How can one go about auditioning for a Telltale game?-misanthrope

Are you going to produce translated versions of your games? Diduz

Was Dank always going to be a comic? -Burn

In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be following the cursor around. Do you plan to create interactivity between the characters and player? Vark

How has Telltale Texas Hold Em' performed in contrast to your expectations? Vark

How often will the episodes of Bone be released? -spf1978

What is your opinion on the infamous "cut-scenes" that many other adventure games employ as a story-telling device? -spf1978

What are your future plans for the characters from TT Texas Holdem? -spf1978

Will the supporting characters have some kind of AI or will they just have set dialogue paths like previous adventure games? smileyfaceman

Will there be multiple player-controlled characters per title? smileyfaceman

Are you planning to exclusively distribute all your games electronically, or are you considering other options as well? Apignarb

Being that many of you were on the Sam&Max team, and founding TellTale was in part inspired by the cancellation of that project, do you have any juicy tidbits to share with us about the game, or the making of the game? -Apignarb/Udvanorky

Describe a typical workday at TellTale. Apignarb

Do you have any plans for any other games than Bone yet, maybe even working on other ideas during the development of Bone? Apignarb

TO KEVIN Will we see "buttless ice chaps" in any of Telltale's games? -Jub

I love adventure games and feel they deserve another chance to shine, but with TellTale Texas Hold'em, you brought personality to a genre that is usually devoid of any such character. What are your plans, if any, to bring this personality into other genres as well? -jerkofalltrades

You were mentioning in an early interview that you were planning to have a schedule eventually for episodic releases of several game-series, is that something you're still planning to do, or is Bone the main focus for now?- Apignarb
  • edited April 2005
    You've done a great job on this Burn! :)
  • edited April 2005
    Ok, I have some comments. I think people should still add questions, as alot of the questions cover the same ground, or are just not very interesting (in my humble opinion)
    Does Bone have a release date been set? Alucard

For one, this is yes/no question and the answer is probably "no", as if it had one, it would have been announced.
    What are your potential distribution and marketing channels for bone outside the internet? JP

How do you propose to market the Bone games to Bone/comic fans, rather than adventure games? JP

doesn't these two cover the same ground? well not really, but they're still both "marketing-questions". Also "distribution outside the internet" is allready covered in another question.
    Anything about the deceased Sam and Max Freelance Police you can share? Udvarnorky

I also asked this question, just different wording.
    In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be following the cursor around. Do you plan to create interactivity between the characters and player? Vark

Not to be mean, but the answer to this is pretty obvious.

Just my two cents..
  • edited April 2005
    Okay, I try to work it around that.

Anything about the deceased Sam and Max Freelance Police you can share?- Udvarnorky

I also asked this question, just different wording.

i know you asked the same question, but it was the only one he had.
    Does Bone have a release date been set? Alucard

For one, this is yes/no question and the answer is probably "no", as if it had one, it would have been announced

This one was Alucard one remaining question,(out of 6) I can always replace it with one of his other questions.

I'll try to merge JP's questions,( unless he wants to), and I'll see what I can do with Vark's.
  • edited April 2005
    I'd rather know about. demo plans and if/when we can expect to see one. As well as if they plan to stray from normal adventure game conventions in their games
  • edited April 2005
    Done!
  • edited April 2005
    I imagine a beta test would be out of the question for the game too... not a question just wishful thinking....
  • edited April 2005
    I am aware it is his/their only questions, but it seems silly to ask the same question twice, just because the guys who asked them didn't ask any other question. Wouldn't it just be better to pick the one who is worded best, and put both their names/nicks as the author of the question. Or?
  • edited April 2005
    My 2 marketing questions are different (though quite subtley so), but given one of them is more or less asked by someone else, please drop my

"What are your potential distribution and marketing channels for bone outside the internet? -JP"

question.
  • edited April 2005
    Chnage my question: "Will the Bone games include the infamous "cut-scenes" that many other adventure games employ as a story-telling device? -spf1978" to the following:

What is your opinion on the infamous "cut-scenes" that many other adventure games employ as a story-telling device? -spf1978

That way it is more open ended. They are sure to mention Bone in their response if they have a strong opinion.
  • edited April 2005
    My question could stand some rewording as it doesn't really ask what I meant it to now that i've re-read it:

"20. In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be following the cursor around. Do you plan to create interactivity between the characters and player?"

It's missing some stuff from the original question that was more to the point.

so I guess reworded it would be:

"In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be looking at the cursor and following it around. Do you plan on breaking the fourth wall and creating different levels of interactivity between the characters and player?"
  • edited April 2005
    "In the short teaser clip of Bone, Bone appears to be looking at the cursor and following it around. Do you plan on breaking the fourth wall and creating different levels of interactivity between the characters and player?"

Ok, now I'm with you.
  • edited April 2005
    Okay, we're now 2 short of 20.
  • edited April 2005
    I have a question.

I love adventure games and feel they deserve another chance to shine, but with TellTale Texas Hold'em, you brought personality to a genre that is usually devoid of any such character. What are your plans, if any, to bring this personality into other genres as well?
  • edited April 2005
    I was reading over the questions and alot of the yes/no ones could be fixed with some minor rewording.

1. When can we expect to see a Bone demo? -Alucard

3. What other franchises besides Sam and Max you were considering? Burn

13. How many player-controlled characters will there be per title? smileyfaceman

These are just some easy fixes I saw, of course it would be up to the original author to confirm these changes.
  • edited April 2005
    3. What other franchises besides Sam and Max you were considering? Burn
    a little off topic, but if Telltale is still interested in acquiring existing franchises, I'd love to see them do Futurama in an adventure style game. A sort of Space Quest replacement.

Ahem.
  • edited April 2005
    Jerkofalltrades- I put in your question. I wouldn't have if it wasn't your only one. From now on PLEASE NO MORE QUESTION!!!!!!!! :(
  • edited April 2005
    Jerkofalltrades- I put in your question. I wouldn't have if it wasn't your only one. From now on PLEASE NO MORE QUESTION!!!!!!!! :(
    Okay, we're now 2 short of 20.

I think he was just trying to fill in the gap. You said you needed two more questions, after all.
  • edited April 2005
    Oh, I hadn't noticed earlier, Burn. I saw you nominated my question #36 for being allready answered in the Newsarama interview, I don't really see where.
This discussion has been closed.