Sam and Max under WINE (Ubuntu Linux)

edited October 2009 in Sam & Max
I know that S&M isn't supported by Telltale to run under a Linux distribution, but WINE lists S&M as a Platinum application. I am an owner of both WINE and Crossover Games For Linux, and wanted to test this out:

WINE plays S&M (Abe Lincoln Must Die!) perfectly except the sound is really annoying (periodical static). Super annoying.

CXGames doesn't have this problem, but some textures are missing. Sound is perfect.

I'm running the latest versions of both CXLinux and WINE. Would anyone know how to fix either the sound issue in WINE or the texture issue in CXGames?

My distribution is Ubuntu Linux 8.10 Intrepid Ibex on a Dell Precision M20 laptop with 1 GB RAM and 1.6 Ghz Pentium M (Single core) processor.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• edited November 2008
    wat?
  • edited November 2008
    I'm trying to run Abe Lincoln Must Die under a Windows Compatibility Layer for Linux called WINE (WINE Is Not an Emulator). The WINE website says that S&M runs perfectly, but I'm encountering two problems in both the Open Source version of WINE and a commercial spinoff called Crossover Games.

I'd really love to be able to play S&M in Ubuntu. It would be a great thing to attract people to Sam and Max if they knew they could play it in Linux.
  • edited November 2008
    I'm having a TERRIBLE time trying to get this to work. The exc runs up until I hit 'play now'
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    In the support forums there is a thread about getting the Strong Bad games working under Linux. The games aren't exactly the same (I know for a fact the audio systems are pretty different), but the fundamentals are pretty similar. It's worth checking out if nothing else.
  • edited November 2008
    I tried playing episode 101 with WINE 1.1.9 and the sound was indeed choppy, but switching to the stable 1.0.1 release (the one in the Intrepid repositories) fixed that.
  • edited October 2009
    Just ported all 11 Sam and Max games in one day.....
    In only 14 hours.....
    Can't believe you people don't get it working.
    Throw Crossover away and use some good programs to do so.

Ps. Also have all the Wallace and Grommits, and Tales of Monkey Island working. Tomorrow i start with Bone, peace of cake.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.