Threads Getting Closed

edited December 2008 in Site Support
Why? When will the madness end?

Once a Thread changes the topic, BAM!
Jake or Tabacco is there and the thread is locked:mad:

Why does that happen so much on this forum?

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    natlinxz wrote: »
    Why? When will the madness end?

Once a Thread changes the topic, BAM!
    Jake or Tabacco is there and the thread is locked:mad:

Why does that happen so much on this forum?

Because we want to keep discussion on topic. Not everyone on the forums is in on all the inside jokes, not everyone has been participating as long as some people, so for them (and, admittedly, for us) it can quickly become a confusing waste of time, instead of a fun place to be. It's how forums work. If you want to talk about something else, please start a new thread. Derailing a thread is in fact bad behavior.
  • edited November 2008
    2691908_profile_mbox_background.jpg

What's he talking about? Inside jokes my big hairy secret of monkey island!
  • edited November 2008
    On this forum, the moderators want threads to stay on topic. If a thread about bread turns into a thread about ska punk music, the thread will most likely be locked, or in some cases, those posts about ska punk music will be put in a new thread. And believe it or not, there are inside jokes on this forum, for example the notorious (and seemingly dead) jump to conclusions mat.

jump_to_conclusions.jpg
    edited November 2008
    The conclusions mat didn't die of natural causes. That joke was killed, and then posthumously beaten into the ground, by posters :p

We keep threads at least vaguely on topic because there are always new people showing up, and they aren't privvy to whatever rambling free associating inanity might have caused a seemingly interesting thread to devolve to rubbish.

Keeping discussions on topic allows people to, you know, know what's being talked about. It's common sense.
  • edited November 2008
    sorry to change the subject, but what is the jump to conclusions mat?

(wow, now I know how the new people feel :))
  • edited November 2008
    natlinxz wrote: »
    sorry to change the subject, but what is the jump to conclusions mat?

(wow, now i know how the new people feel :))

noooooooooooo!
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The conclusions mat didn't die of natural causes. That joke was killed, and then posthumously beaten into the ground, by posters :p

my hands are clean, i do miss the mat but i understand it being dead and accept it, i grieved for it and planned bloody murder on its destroyers, but thought better of it :D:D:D

but in forum jokes are great, but i understand the difficulty of understanding for new comers, many of us have probably had this first hand if not all of us.
    edited November 2008
    Let's not get too confused here. There's also a difference between inside jokes (which are an inevitable and probably essential part of any community), and insider community members "having fun" by basically saying "I'm bored with this thread, lets turn it into something else." That's insider behavior which is actually destructive to the forums as a whole, and isn't encouraged.

The Jump to Conclusions Mat was removed from the emoticon list just because it was overused :)
  • edited November 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The Jump to Conclusions Mat was removed from the emoticon list just because it was overused :)

that's one big emoticon:)
  • edited December 2008
    Would Telltale members such as me be able to close one of their own forums? If so, how?
  • edited December 2008
    Nope, sorry.
  • edited December 2008
    :( Oh...
This discussion has been closed.