More populated environments in Season 3!

edited December 2008 in Sam & Max
Just a simple request. :p The locations in Seasons 1 and 2 are shockingly barren - in particular the street, Sybil's, Bosco's and Stinky's. While there is some comedy to be had from the idea that Sam and Max are their only customers, it would be nice to see the NPCs just hanging out doing stuff in the background. 205 had a little bit of this, and it was brilliant.

If the story has to be wiped clean so new fans will understand without having to play the other games, using characters from the old games for this purpose would be a good way to please old fans without alienating new ones.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    especially if you could interact with them, I suppose they wouldnt be NPC's then, but for example if you needed Bosco to be distracted slip merchandise into someone elses bag for the alarm to go off.

Just a thought
  • edited November 2008
    I agree to some extent. I realize that designing environments is not easy, but having a larger number of unimportant props would make it seem less barren. My point being, not every prop has to be a gag-prop, like all of the clever distractions you find about.
  • edited November 2008
    Snocat wrote: »
    I agree to some extent. I realize that designing environments is not easy, but having a larger number of unimportant props would make it seem less barren. My point being, not every prop has to be a gag-prop, like all of the clever distractions you find about.

I agree 328,897%!
  • edited December 2008
    I know what should poplulate the environments, SHOOTABLE ENEMIES! YEAH! DEATH!DEATH!DEATH!
  • edited December 2008
    I prefer the more barren environments if it means all props have a gag. going through loads of stuff to find the one thing that will get you a snappy one-liner seems frustrating.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, I don't mean more props, per-se, personally I think that the amount of props at the moment is certainly sufficient (especially in Stinky's! :O ), for example, the House of the Brothers Strong has a very realistic amount of things in it (okay, there are no closets and no dining area, but SB and SM never change their clothes and it's debatable if SS even wears any :p ) I just mean it'd be nice if Sybil, Stinky and Bosco actually had customers other than S&M for once.
  • edited December 2008
    I think it's a good idea, but you need to look at it from a performance point of view. There's this small thing called Polycount (Polygon Count) and the higher it goes the slower images are rendered (well slower scenes are rendered) You can make a movie with each scene having a polycount in the billions, because you can tell it to render and walk off for a week or three, then slap it together after it's rendered at a normal frame rate.

This doesn't work in a game because each scene must be rendered dynamically (also a reason cutscenes tend to be higher quality in most games than gameplay scenes)

I'd like to see an additional character or two (akin to in Epp 1 where the poppers were randomly inserted into Boscos or Sybls) but making a highly-populated area can force higher specs on the gamer's PC and can, even then, make it ludicrously slow if overdone.
  • edited December 2008
    Doesnt even have to be people, let it bed crazy weird looking birds, rats, cats and so forth :)

just for active enviroments, not so static and empty gief back feel of orignal Sam & max :D with kids, and alligators, pictures that looked at you, dead animals faces that looked and talked, and so forth :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.