SBCG4AP not starting in Vista.

edited March 2009 in Game Support
Which is rather odd, seeing as the other three episodes have worked fine so far.

After clicking the Launch Game button, the screen goes black for a few seconds before falling back to the desktop and displaying the rather vague error message: "Homestar104.exe has stopped working"

I'm running 32bit Vista with all the latest updates and whatnot applied.

Let me know if any more info is needed and I'll try and get it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Hmm... strange.

The office is closed for Thanksgiving so we probably won't be able to look into this until next week, but in the meantime, could you try launching one of the other games and see if you get this error? If yes, then we'll know that the problem is due to something on your system (i.e. a system update that happened since you played episode 3) and not to the game itself. If the other games still work fine, we'll have to figure out what's different about episode 4...
  • edited November 2008
    Just tried episodes 1 through 3 again and had no trouble at all. Looks like there is something about episode 4 my system doesn't like.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Hope everyone is having a grand Thanksgiving. :)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried completely redownloading and reinstalling the game? Could just be some corrupt data in there.
  • edited December 2008
    Hey, sorry for the late reply. Been moving apartment and just not had time to get on.

I've uninstalled the game, downloaded the installer again and gave it another shot. Even with a fresh install, I’m getting dumped back to the desktop with the unhelpful error message. :confused:

If you need any hardware info from me, let me know. Might take me a while to respond though.
  • edited December 2008
    I have the exact same problem, apart from that it pertains to Episode 5 rather than Episode 4.

If it helps at all:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Homestar105.exe
    Application Version: 2008.12.12.16293
    Application Timestamp: 49430e17
    Fault Module Name: Homestar105.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2008.12.12.16293
    Fault Module Timestamp: 49430e17
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 001fa0b8
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 91f2
    Additional Information 2: 65c491acd7c40aeceebec7947097e10f
    Additional Information 3: 16c1
    Additional Information 4: 9e0ec3610566779f5f1b695dadd3a2c2

Thankfully I have a laptop that might play the game (albeit choppily) but it's the best I've got.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm also having a problem for Part 5. I want to play it so bad, but it keeps telling me "Homestar105.exe has stopped working" all the other episodes have worked fine. I even tried re-downloading the episode, but it still doesn't work.
    edited January 2009
    With episode 5, make sure your screen resolution is set to 32bit color depth. Right click on your desktop, go to properties, and then go to the settings tab to set it.
  • edited January 2009
    I'll give it a try, thank you.
  • edited January 2009
    It worked, yay! Thank you so much!
  • edited March 2009
    Hello once again.

Just thought I'd drop in to let you know that I'm still unable to get Episode 4 working on my PC.
    Annoyingly, Episode 5 worked without a hitch. While that's good news, playing them out of sequence just doesn't feel right. :(

As always, I'm ready to give out any system info that might be helpful in sorting this out.

Thanks in advance! :)
    edited March 2009
    Let's try something different. Go to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 5 - 8-Bit Is Enough and copy the prefs.prop file. Then go to \My Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3 and replace the prefs.prop in this folder with the one from ep 5. If that doesn't fix it, could you toss over your system specs?
  • edited March 2009
    Oh wow! That actually worked.
    Finally, I can get caught up on my SBCG4AP episodes.

Many thanks for helping out, man. It's greatly appreciated. :D
This discussion has been closed.