I'm wondering..

edited December 2008 in Sam & Max
Are the scripts in Sam and Max made by Purcell, or the Telltale guys?
Plus, the story Ideas in Sam and Max, was it made by Purcell too? Or generally, both teaming up to make stories?

I'm just wondering. Cause I don't think the Telltale people are THAT of a genious to make the WONDERFUL humor! (No offence guys...)

Comments

• edited November 2008
    The story seeds are written by us, then Steve takes a pass at them. All of the dialogue is written by us.
  • edited November 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    The story seeds are written by us, then Steve takes a pass at them. All of the dialogue is written by us.

Well, are the dialogues edited by Purcell even a BIT?

Plus, what do the Voice Actors think of the dialogues? Do they laugh before they voice act while reading the script?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Sometimes the actors do laugh at the dialog while recording it (check out blooper reels on the Season Set DVDs). Purcell did edit some dialog in Culture Shock, the very first episode, but aside from the occasional very small suggestion, he seems to trust our writers enough to let us just get on with it.

I think that Purcell's favorite parts are helping to come up with all the crazy ideas for what Sam & Max could do within a story, and helping come up with weird character designs, so those are the two things he involves himself in the most. He apparently plays the new episodes through with his kids as they come out (his kids are apparently fond of "hooks for hands, hooks for hands!" and that time Max ate the web cam in The Mole, The Mob, and The Meatball).
  • edited December 2008
    I wonder whatever happened to that poor webcam.
  • edited December 2008
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    I wonder whatever happened to that poor webcam.

Probally been digested, but maybe Max can look for spare parts in the toilet XD
  • edited December 2008
    On a similar note - does Jared write all the music and lyrics himself, or are the lyrics scripted by the people who write the dialogs?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    On a similar note - does Jared write all the music and lyrics himself, or are the lyrics scripted by the people who write the dialogs?

I believe it is a bit of both (though I could be wrong on that). For example, I know the lyrics for the Season 1 finale were written by Dave Grossman, but I'm fairly certain that most of "More than Jerks" were written by Jared. As for the tune, that's pretty much all Jared.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Will wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that most of "More than Jerks" were written by Jared.

I think the More than Jerks lyrics all come out of the dialogue, actually - it's the same as the song you can make Whizzer sing in Boscos?

Of course, Jared arranged it. No one intended for that to be an actual song when it was written into the dialogue... iirc Jared first noticed it during the voice recording and was like, Why didn't you guys tell me about this?! And then a few days later, a hilarious song existed.
  • edited December 2008
    Tryin to make Whizz sing More than jerks can be quite the chore if I may say. LIke, I had to click that thing like 40 times!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    I was thinking there were more lyrics to the song than just that one line. I could be wrong!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    I was thinking there were more lyrics to the song than just that one line. I could be wrong!

Nah, you've just heard that one line 100 times... ;)
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for the responses, now I need to know only one more thing: who's the person responsible for the Mariachi Song lyrics? I'm afraid they caused permanent damage to my diaphragm :D
  • BrendanBrendan Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    The Mariachi Song lyrics were written by Chuck Jordan, with assistance from resident Mariachi Consultant, Daniel Herrera.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Also wholly worth noting: I wrote the lyrics to the Midtown Cowboys theme!
  • edited December 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Also wholly worth noting: I wrote the lyrics to the Midtown Cowboys theme!

Dun dun dah dun duh duh dun dun dah dun, do doo da dee da doo da dee da dee, They're probably Hiding a cow!

Good on ya jake, its definetaly my favourite 7 second song in me itunes
  • Dave GrossmanDave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008

You're not wrong, there are seven lines. They're just really short! You were mistaken about the other thing, though: I did write them, along with the lyrics for the rest of the first season, except for the Midtown Cowboys Theme (Jake) and Hooray, It's War (aka The War Song - mainly the inimitable Chuck Jordan).

On Sam & Max, the people writing the dialog pretty much always do the song lyrics as well. And then we stay out of Jared's way as he composes genius music....
  • edited December 2008
    You guys just reminded me how sad I was when I got to the end of Situation: Comedy, and the end credits song wasn't an extended mix of the Midtown Cowboys theme. :(
  • edited December 2008
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    You guys just reminded me how sad I was when I got to the end of Situation: Comedy, and the end credits song wasn't an extended mix of the Midtown Cowboys theme. :(

The Myra theme song could be considered an extended remix of it.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, thanks for all the insight - especially on Jake's part ;)
  • edited December 2008
    This makes me wonder jsut how many songs/scores are a lot longer and get cut and how many are planned and pre-made to be the exact length... (and hoy many "long" songs are really just short movements looping..)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.