The speculation Thread!

edited February 2005 in General Chat
it had to come up at some time, so i decided to do it myself. this thread is for the speculation of their new game announcement. as said in an interview it wont be sam and max, hopefully thats further down the line.
I'm guessing it's bone the comic book character. any hints troy, Brendan and Kevin?

Comments

• edited October 2004
    No, I can't wait to find out myself! I don't really hear what's going on while I'm in my closet. It's kind of hard to hear through the door. If I only had some cup to listen with...
  • edited October 2004
    Have you tried a strategic trip that would land your ear right next to the air vent? Works wonders.
  • edited October 2004
    also, try filling a ziplock bag full of watter and listen threw the door with that. sound magnifies 10 time louder threw watter. or even better, get a fish tank full of fish and attach it to the door. the fish can then listen all the time and tell you whats happening.
  • edited October 2004
    I'm slightly leaning towards Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (what with the new movie in production), though chances are that the community page here at Telltale will give a clue (Grickle, Bone, Max Hamm).

Here's what we know.

It's not Sam & Max (though a future Telltale game may be S&M2 if they can negotiate the rights from Steve Purcell).

It's almost certainly not anything that LucasArts holds the rights to (Monkey Island, Maniac mansion, Grim Fandango)

"If you've enjoyed any of the products we've helped create in the past, you're sure to love this one"

"we can tell you it's something many of you already know and love"
  • edited October 2004
    I GOT IT!

it's toast, i'm sure they made toast in the past, and everyone loves toast!
  • edited October 2004
    ...and everyone loves toast!

Never have I read a truer or more poignant quote.
  • edited October 2004
    Furthermore...

"Telltale's only a part of the exciting things that are brewing around it (the license)"

This mysterious character may or may not have something to do with it;

shhhhhhh.jpg
  • edited October 2004
    super grover with out his cape ?
    gumbie got in a car accident?
    jimmy the hideous penguin boy?
    some random blob taken of a goggle search page?
    some things will always remain a mystery.
  • edited October 2004
    :(( What? Not Sam & Max?!

I thought the license of Sam & Max was expiring soon with Lucas...
  • edited October 2004
    May 2005 - Telltale have something else in store first! :D

"Ok, we can't actually announce anything... yet. We can; however, give you a hint - some of you are right! "
  • edited October 2004
    ...and everyone loves toast!

Never have I read a truer or more poignant quote.

Oh man, I hate toast so much!

No, wait. I'm thinking of Nazis. I like toast. The words are so similar, you can see how I could get confused.
  • edited October 2004
    :(( What? Not Sam & Max?!

I thought the license of Sam & Max was expiring soon with Lucas...

it expires in march or may of 2005, i don't remember exactly. patience my friend, I'm sure in the future there will be a new Sam and max. I'm positive telltale is going to come up with something great in the meantime.
  • edited October 2004
    groupshot_dank.jpg

Seems like that'll be their first game!
  • edited October 2004
    I GOT IT!

it's toast, i'm sure they made toast in the past, and everyone loves toast!

Who .. perhaps what is toast??? :-/ :-/
  • edited October 2004
    First of all... Dude.

Second of all, Toast
    Pronunciation: 'tOst
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English tosten, from Middle French toster, from Late Latin tostare to roast, from Latin tostus, past participle of torrEre to dry, parch
  • edited October 2004
    First of all... Dude.

Second of all, Toast
    Pronunciation: 'tOst
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English tosten, from Middle French toster, from Late Latin tostare to roast, from Latin tostus, past participle of torrEre to dry, parch

I know what it means but what is it? A game from the past?
  • edited October 2004
    nope, it's toast, the literal meaning of toast.

"If you've enjoyed any of the products we've helped create in the past, you're sure to love this one"

they have made toast (the product)in the past

"we can tell you it's something many of you already know and love"

everyone loves toast.

hope this fixes your confusion. :D
  • edited October 2004
    Furthermore...

"Telltale's only a part of the exciting things that are brewing around it (the license)"

This mysterious character may or may not have something to do with it;

shhhhhhh.jpg

I Think This is the answer
    0,1020,258944,00.jpg
  • edited October 2004
    nope, it's toast, the literal meaning of toast.
    they have made toast before by putting bread in a toaster.
    and they know we will enjoy it because everyone loves eating toast. hope this fixes your confusion. :D

[:">] [:">] [:">] Oh geez, yep you fixed it... Perhaps I miss classic games too much.... [:-&] [:-&]
  • edited October 2004
    we all do, we all do..... :((
  • edited October 2004
    It's timmy from Monkey Island....
  • edited October 2004
    i would like to see an adventure about wally from MI, that would be really cool.
  • edited October 2004
    Uuuuh... "Within the coming weeks." Cant wait!

I'm still guessing the bone guy.. :p
  • edited October 2004
    groupshot_dank.jpg

Seems like that'll be their first game!

Or just a character from it :p . It doesn't have to be the main character. Now when I mentioned it, I think he is the villain. He looks sooo mean with his "stick". :(

Oh.. and good job with the Forum! (my 1st post)
  • edited October 2004
    shhhhhhh.jpg
    This, without doubt, must be Max - bereft of his ears, and stretched a little in the vertical axis...
    Notice the gestus of his hand, the cute little fella always waved 'Hi' straight into the camera...

At least, I WISH it would be Max. :]
  • edited October 2004
    well i got no idea..so im just gonna list licenses that would be kool for an adventure game

rocko(rockos modern life)
    eek the cat
    the tick!
  • edited October 2004
    shhhhhhh.jpg
    This, without doubt, must be Max - bereft of his ears, and stretched a little in the vertical axis...
    Notice the gestus of his hand, the cute little fella always waved 'Hi' straight into the camera...

At least, I WISH it would be Max. :]

i agree with Dfkt

49-0.jpg
    it remembers me of this pic a litle bit
  • edited October 2004
    A bit off topic, this... but, It's a rather simple question. Since at least a couple of you seem to be using Linux, i just wondered if this is an OS you can install and still have Windows, and being able to choose between those two at startup, or if you have to uninstall the whole Windows thing?
    Glad if somebody could answer, although it's a bit out of bounds in this forum.
  • edited October 2004
    You can have a dual-boot system with Linux and another OS (win*, mac os, amiga os ...) on the same system. On most modern Linux distibutions it's pretty straightforward to enable this feature (in most cases just a matter of clicking on the "yes, i would also like to use my windows install" button ;)

I suggest we get back on topic :]
  • edited October 2004
    It's timmy from Monkey Island....

Hello, I'm 24 and live to Marseille, France...

I think so and I hope!

There's a secret web page on telltale's site where the team is posing with a monkey... It will be a provocation if the licence is not monkey island...

Sorry for my english ;)

I wish we could find a new monkey island annoucement in few weeks....
  • edited October 2004
    dont think a new monkey island,would be great
    but i hope its a new Sam and Max
  • edited October 2004
    Personally, I'd love to see the real Monkey Island 3 in which the secret is finally revealed. I guess they could team up with Ron Gilbert to make the intended sequel of the 1990 and 1992 adventures.

Anyhow, any adventure in the former Lucasarts style would be really great, but Monkey Island is the thing I would love to play the most.
  • edited October 2004
    monkey island 3 was great

i think they will call it MI5
  • edited October 2004
    Hi, I'm new here. ;)

Let me clear up this speculation about the game being Sam and Max. Although all clues and indications seem to point to it (especially the shadow and the "some of you are right" e-mail), Telltale Games said in an interview with the Marin Independent Journal that their first game (the game in question) will NOT be Sam and Max 2. However, they said they would very much like to make it in the near future. So it's a safe bet that when Lucasarts loses their rights to S&M in May 2005, Telltale could contact Steve Purcell and make the game.

So this game is not Sam and Max 2, but one of their future games, as they said they would like to have, will be Sam and Max. So they will make Sam and Max someday, but this game probably isn't it.

My personal bet on what the game is? I'd like it to be Monkey Island 5. The shadow shown could be a monkey...however, it could be anything, because that's a pretty generic-shaped shadow...
  • edited October 2004
    The shadow shown could be a monkey...however, it could be anything, because that's a pretty generic-shaped shadow...

Some things point towards there beeing a monkey in the game...
    There's this on the Secret Page:
    team.jpg

Notice the monkey in the middle of the picture?

But then again, the shadow of the "waving" guy looks to me like the Bone character...
  • edited October 2004
    If it is that little caveman.....then where does it fit into the license they purchased from LucasArts?
  • edited October 2004
    Perhaps LucasArts had PLANNED to make a game based on that character, but decided not to, since "there was no market for adventure games" X-( [-X

But then TellTale bought the license from LA.

But they(TellTale) also said that it would be something we already knew and loved...

I'm stumped... :-?

If it IS Monkey Island 5, maybe he's just a new character...
  • edited October 2004
    I think Monkey Island 5 would be a bad idea. I think that 3 and 4 had so many plotholes that to try to continue the series would be disatrous.
  • edited October 2004
    Personally, I'm praying for Forever Worlds 2!
  • edited October 2004
    monkey island 3 was great

i think they will call it MI5

Her Majesty's Secret Service wouldn't be delighted about that name... Can you copyright a government institution's name?
This discussion has been closed.