help loading saved game

edited December 2008 in Game Support
I've checked everywhere I can think of, but I still can't find an answer, and I hope someone here can help me.

I can't seem to load a game I've previously saved. :confused: I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'm just missing it. Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Let's see, you did the obvious right? Clicked on the save/load button, then clicked on a save sl- oh wait, you're not playing the demo right? If you are, you're not allowed to save.
  • edited December 2008
    I purchased the real game, and played it, and clicked on save. When I save the game, it says "Game Saved," but when I try to load it, it looks like there's nothing there to load. When I try to load a saved game, The Paper always comes down saying, "Sorry, you can't save right now." I've gone through the tutorial, but it doesn't tell me about how to save or load.

There should be a simple answer, but I can't seem to find it. :(
  • edited December 2008
    Do you press Escape to bring up the menu and then select "Save\Load"?

(Also: Wii or PC?)
  • edited December 2008
    I do bring up the menu, by either clicking on the "main menu" button during the game or (after quitting the game), clicking on "go to main menu." And, yes, I click on save/load.

On a side note, I did download the demo and play it, but about a week ago I bought the full version (for PC) and played it.
  • edited December 2008
    Since you're in the PC version, I'd say make sure that the game is actually creating save points. First off, attempt to save again to try making a save point.

Go to My Documents/Telltale Games/ (*username*/Documents/Telltale Games in Vista.) And then into the episode that's not working. In there there should be a few files, those are the saves. If there's nothing in there, it's a bug.

If there is stuff there, the game just isn't handling them well. Then it's a bug.
  • edited December 2008
    Also, just to get some of the obvious problems out, you've entered the code for the game at the start up screen, right?
  • edited December 2008
    When you save, it should ask you which of the three available slots to save in. Is it doing that?
  • edited December 2008
    No, what code?

And, no, it doesn't ask which slot to save in, for some reason. :confused:
  • edited December 2008
    No, what code?

And, no, it doesn't ask which slot to save in, for some reason. :confused:

So.... if you entered no "code", then I'm guessing you're still demo'd?
  • edited December 2008
    No, I don't have the demo. Do you mean did I enter my Telltale Games user name? If you do, then I entered that.
  • edited December 2008
    Well, I said "ask", but that's not really accurate. The Save\Load screen should have four "slots". Each one will have a Load button off to the right and the bottom three will have Save button on the left.
    At (almost) any time during the game, you can click one of the "Save" buttons to save a game in that slot. The top slot is the Autosave slot and will automatically be populated with a save game when you pass certain points in the plot or go to the "home" area.

Does your screen look like this?

Now, I did notice on mine that if I click on a "Save" button immediately after the menu loads (before entering a game) I get an error message that says "That feature is not available in the Demo", even though I've got a registered copy.
  • edited December 2008
    Edit: You running vista? If so dig through here:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6081 (Seg starts the Vista answers)

Apparently SBCG4AP doesn't like limited user accounts in Vista.

Hey man, If I was you I'd post this in the game support forum. Something just doesn't seem right, and I'm sure a Telltalle employee could help you out better than us.

No offense ReverendTed and Holyxion...
  • edited December 2008
    I think I may know what I'm doing wrong now. I think I'm clicking on the "autosave" button.

ReverendTed, it does look kinda like that, only reversed: the blank box is full, and all the other slots are empty.

Thanks for all your help, I'll try your suggestions tomorrow and see if they work. :)
  • edited December 2008
    Yeah, that's what I meant, normally you would have to enter a code if you don't have a Telltale account.
  • edited December 2008
    I think he's stuck like this:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=85297&postcount=20

And in the thread I linked to earlier on pg. 2:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6081&page=2

There's a little discussion, and possible fixes for the guy.

I really need to turn the automatic e-mail notifications.... they're starting to get annoying.
  • edited December 2008
    poohead900 wrote: »
    I think he's stuck like this:
    That sounds likely. Good find. (I don't stray much from the SBCG4AP forums.)
  • edited December 2008
    That post you linked to is the exact same problem I'm having!
  • edited December 2008
    And, no, I think I'm running XP, but I know I'm not running Vista.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Are you running an administrator account in Windows, or a limited user account?

To find out, go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> User Accounts. What does it say in this window?
  • edited December 2008
    I'm running on a limited account.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure you're gonna wanna change that. Note: this is all for XP, which you said you had. I think Vista is the same way kinda sorta.

I dunno if you can change this without being an administrator, so if this won't work, you'll need to log out, then log back in as an admin and change it there. I'll explain that next.

1. Go to Control Panel -> User Accounts.
    2. Find your name, and click it.
    3. Then you will see "change account type" -- click that, that's what you want.
    4. Highlight the "Computer Administrator" bubble. If you can't, you'll need to be an administrator -- go to next batch of instructions.
    5. Save and voila, you're done.
    6. Fire up SBCG4AP and see if we've fixed the problem.

Now since I don't know if you can do this as limited, here's a workaround to get into an administrator account (assuming it has no password assigned to it, which is how most computerboxes come)

1. Log out of your limited account.
    2. At the "welcome screen", press ctrl+alt+del (you may have to do it slowly, hold ctrl, hold alt, press del, I always have to.) This will bring up a different log on to windows dialogue. If you use this method to log on anyways, you could have skipped this step.
    3. As a username, simply type in "Administrator" (without the "s).
    4. Assuming there's no password assigned, you'll get through. Then just repeat the first round of steps as administrator to adminify your limited account.

If the Admin account is locked, gimme a holler. (if you reply to this message, I'll get an email; or you can try to IM me, my stuffs always on.) I'll try to walk you through it a little better. There's about 5 ways I can think of to get around the limited account problem, This just seems like the easiest.

Edit: Sorry Telltale staff if I'm stomping on your turf.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I tried them all, but then I decided just to play the game on the administrator account.

Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.