Jurgen on Twilight - What are his thoughts?

edited January 2009 in Sam & Max
Okay, TTG Staff. Get your writing team over here now before we start hypothetically putting words into Jurgen's maw.[/emptythreat]

Ever since the damn move came out, I have had the unfortunate pleasure of being a witness of sorts to many Twilight debates about vampire lore. Things like how you can't reinvent vampires or change things and other things. My personal opinion on the matter has shifted over the time, and now I currently don't care. It's a creative property, and if people are willing to buy into it (which some are), then more power to you.

But I can't help but wonder what Sam & Max's own vampire would think about it. How do you think he would react to the whole franchise?

Comments

• edited December 2008
    I read a lot of Twilight snark at around the time I played Night of the Raving Dead. As a result, when someone says Edward, I often see Jurgen. Which is hilarious.

I don't know what Jurgen would think about it, though. Probably that they make a mockery of the darkness and despair of a vampire's life with their romance and their sparkles.
  • edited December 2008
    Shwoo wrote: »
    they make a mockery of the darkness and despair of a vampire's life with their romance and their sparkles.

Someone get William to record this line in character. I bet I'd get a really big laugh from hearing Jurgen say "sparkles." :D
  • edited December 2008
    That would be so brilliant!
  • edited December 2008
    Jurgen would probably hate it, but I truly don't mind. I'm currently racing through Eclipse, and I think the series is genius. Everyone seems to think that vampires are copyrighted, and, like songs, can't just be stolen and used as people please. But, since they are part of ancient superstitions, they are nowhere near being copyrighted. I personally think that creatures like vampires and werewolves can be changed to fit with an author's story. My personal favorite vampire interpretation is Stephen King's, introduced in 'Salem's Lot and completed in The Dark Tower.

I'd also like to point out that vampires aren't all romance and sparkles in this series. They're now much tougher to kill (being ripped to shreds and burned, as opposed to a simple stake through the heart), and all of them, even Edward, have a pretty gruesome past. There's quite a bit more blood-sucking in this series than people give it credit for.

And that's all I have to say on that.
  • edited December 2008
    ಠ_ಠ

I greatly disliked everything about it...
  • edited December 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    Someone get William to record this line in character. I bet I'd get a really big laugh from hearing Jurgen say "sparkles." :D
    "They make a mockery of the life of the vampire with their 'romance' and their 'sparkles'," would probably work better for Jurgen's speech patterns, now that I'm trying to imitate them.

And now I'm imagining the Monster being really into the books and Jurgen being irritated and sulky about it. It's pretty funny.

Metalkombat, most people with a problem with Twilight dislike the books for other reasons. In addition to the flat characterisation and unoriginality things Zootch mentioned in the Xanga post he linked to, their romance is quite unhealthy, with Edward being very very controlling and Bella very very passive. The imprinting thing that werewolves do is kind of creepy, and the characters irritate some people.

And about the gore, I won't dispute you, but read Breaking Dawn. The birth scene there is extremely gory, especially for an author who doesn't watch R rated movies and is writing for teenage girls. Speaking of Breaking Dawn, the fact that
    Bella and Edward's half-vampire daughter is named Renesmee, and Jacob imprinted on her as soon as she was born,
    is another thing I've seen a lot of complaints about. It didn't help that
    she almost killed Bella before she was born, and she'll grow to adulthood in seven year's time
  • edited December 2008
    This comic pretty much sums up my opinion of the series: http://nonadventures.com/2008/11/08/lady-and-the-vamp/

That said, I can't wait to see how they handle the 4th film, if they ever make it, and what age rating it gets.
  • edited December 2008
    Shwoo wrote: »
    "They make a mockery of the life of the vampire with their 'romance' and their 'sparkles'," would probably work better for Jurgen's speech patterns, now that I'm trying to imitate them.

And now I'm imagining the Monster being really into the books and Jurgen being irritated and sulky about it. It's pretty funny.
    The only thing that would make that scene better is if the Monster had an animation loop where he pulls a new book out of his head to read. :D

I like what Moonlight said about how the steaking a vampire's heart only paralyzed them and didn't actually kill them. Of course, this is coming from the TV series that says contemporary vampires no longer sleep in coffins but in giant freezers AND have an endurance to sunlight before suffering from extreme dehydration...
  • edited December 2008
    *sigh*

I have to wonder how many people who posted on this thread have read the books? It's pretty obvious that some of you have, but the majority of guys dislike the books without ever having read any of them. If you haven't read the books, don't be idiots and put them down just for fun.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm female, and I'm not interested in the book nor the film. I won't put it down, but I will say that if there's a hugely popular piece of pop culture whose demographic consists largely of the under-17 crowd, I'll assume I'm not going to like it.

That being said, I'm sure that Jurgen would be a welcome and hilarious addition to any vampire-centric debate.
  • edited December 2008
    I have to wonder how many people who posted on this thread have read the books? It's pretty obvious that some of you have, but the majority of guys dislike the books without ever having read any of them. If you haven't read the books, don't be idiots and put them down just for fun.
    While I have not read the books, putting it down for fun was not the reason. Initially, I was upset with the way vampires and sunlight interacted in the book, albeit word of mouth is how I found out. However, having nerds friends helped a lot, who pointed out all the changes in the vampire myths leading up to Twilight's changes/additions.

And now it makes sense to me.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Vaguely relevant: Target Women: Vampires
  • edited December 2008
    I have legitimately read it, and it's just... bad writing.

I mean, the characters are such Mary Sues and most of the book is Bella gushing about how perfect Edward is and how overprotective he is.

A minor annoyance: How she couldn't find a better adjective than "sparkly" and "dazzling" for vamps in sunlight

I didn't everyone gushing over his actor when he was Cedric Diggory!
  • edited December 2008
    Daxxglax wrote: »
    I didn't [see] everyone gushing over his actor when he was Cedric Diggory!

That is my one problem about this series, which actually kind of turns out to be 2 problems.

Girls who've read it and love it can not shut up about it. They're either talking about the books constantly, or talking about Edward Cullen constantly. I agree, Daxxglax; I didn't hear anyone mention how incredibly, unavoidably sexy
    Robert Pattinson was when he played Cedric in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I've read (most of) the series, and I thought it was great, but I don't find it necessary to gush about it 24/7. The only time I ever really talk about it is when guys needlessly give it a bad stereotype without having read it.
  • edited December 2008
    http://shinga.deviantart.com/art/Head-Trip-Twilight-Sucks-85504254 sums it up totally

But no, in all seriousness... I tried to read the first chapter of twilight on Amazon just to see what the fuss was about. OH GOD it's horrid. Someone needs to explain to Meyers a couple of important details about writing, characters NEED DEPTH AND MOTIVATION DAMNIT!
    They have neither of these things, they're flat cardboard cutouts. It's lame.

Does no-one else find the "I like to watch you sleep" thing creepy as all hell? I mean, you wake up, some guy is standing over your bed.. I don't care how hot he is, he's broken into your house to watch you sleep! that's restraining order, NOT ROMANTIC!

I'm writing a romance story on and off at the moment actually and to prepare for this, read a few articles on how to write modern romance. Oh it's hilarious to see how many of the cardinal rules have been broken by Twilight. Instant falling in love without any chemistry, over possessive male and female lead being totally dependent on him, damsel in distress syndrome... the list goes on. What is this teaching young girls about relationships? that women need men to survive? that it's ok if he's a shallow, over protective jerk who wont let you go out with your friends so long as he's pretty? Riiight.

The less said about Renesmee and the c section with teeth the better I think. What WAS the author smoking?
  • edited December 2008
    What WAS the author smoking?
    DO Mormans smoke?
  • edited December 2008
    I dunno, I lost my pet Mormons or i'd ask them...
    Maybe i'll ask the ones in town heh.
  • edited December 2008
    Sam: "That's strange. I never pegged Jurgen as one of them "Sparkly" vampires."
    Max: "He's not. I'm taking this arts and crafts seminar and he "volunteered"."
    Sam: "Really? where'd you get all that glitter?"
    Max: "Oh, I couldn't find any, so I improvised."
    Jurgen: "EVERY INCH ON MEIN BODY STINGS!!!"
  • edited December 2008
    I've read (most of) the series, and I thought it was great, but I don't find it necessary to gush about it 24/7. The only time I ever really talk about it is when guys needlessly give it a bad stereotype without having read it.

Lol same here! I read all four (before the movie came out) and I loved them, but I'm not a crazy screaming fangirl. I just like em is all.
    And it's not all fifteen-year-old girls reading them. College girls love them too :). (. . .sometimes)
    Badwolf wrote: »
    This comic pretty much sums up my opinion of the series: http://nonadventures.com/2008/11/08/lady-and-the-vamp/

That was pretty much awesome :D.
  • edited December 2008
    KayJay123 wrote: »
    I read all four (before the movie came out) and I loved them

Huh. Turns out I'm not the only one on these forums who likes this series.
  • edited December 2008
    Huh. Turns out I'm not the only one on these forums who likes this series.

If we work together, we can create an unstoppable force of awesomeness! :D
  • edited December 2008
    <_< >_> I'll just sit in my grouchy OLD person corner cradling a copy of Stardust or something then.. lol.
  • edited December 2008
    KayJay123 wrote: »
    If we work together, we can create an unstoppable force of awesomeness! :D

Deal. I've always wondered what being an unstoppable force would be like... it must feel like being a bulldozer with nothing but fluffy cotton balls in front of you. I'm already convincing people to read Twilight; I suppose this would be a great added bonus.

If that doesn't work, I can always opt out for the Green Lantern Corps. I just need to convince the Guardians of the Universe to send a Power Ring, and I'll be all set.
  • edited December 2008
    i liked twilight!!!!
  • edited December 2008
    If that doesn't work, I can always opt out for the Green Lantern Corps. I just need to convince the Guardians of the Universe to send a Power Ring, and I'll be all set.
    The only way you can be true member of the Green Lantern Corp is to not want to be one. It's like of like the whole "how do you get to Narnia" catch.
  • edited December 2008
    The only way you can be true member of the Green Lantern Corp is to not want to be one. It's like of like the whole "how do you get to Narnia" catch.

That's quite inconvenient. Well, if the movie's bad enough when it comes out I'm sure that I'll loathe the Green Lantern Corps.
    2dsgurl wrote: »
    i liked twilight!!!!

Join the club. Actually, there isn't a club.... yet. I think I'll have to start one. Anyone who reads this post and enjoys Twilight, just look up the Twilight Fan Club and feel free to join!
  • edited December 2008
    Anyone who reads this post and enjoys Twilight, just look up the Twilight Fan Club and feel free to join!

I'll be there like shareware! :D
  • edited January 2009
    Joined.
    I LOVE the books. But, I don't gush about them constantly. And I'm not really sure WHY I like them either. They're like... hypnotic or something. When I read the first one, it took me a couple tries to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put them down.
  • edited January 2009
    Max> It's like those really bad corndogs you get at funfairs.. you know there's nothing good in em but for some reason they're really damned tasty.

That said, I read the first chapter of Twilight and wanted to stove Meyer's head in with a brick so yeah.... I'm gonna avoid teen fiction heh.
  • edited January 2009
    l would imagine that Jugen would say how the male actor is hawt and that the actor looks much like him.
  • edited January 2009
    doom saber wrote: »
    l would imagine that Jugen would say how the male actor is hawt and that the actor looks much like him.

Only Jurgen has the better hair. :p
  • edited January 2009
    Come on. We all know Jurgen is reading the books under his coffin lid, dreaming about "his Edvard." Or at least that's the opinion I get after reading the wikipedia article on Twilight. Sorry fans of the series! I, a female person, have also not read the books and have no interest in doing so, but you have to realize, I didn't like Buffy the Vampire Slayer either. And the only romances I ever liked were by Jane Austen.
  • edited January 2009
    You were in love with gorillas?

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Jane Goodall.
  • edited January 2009
    Max> It's like those really bad corndogs you get at funfairs.. you know there's nothing good in em but for some reason they're really damned tasty.

That said, I read the first chapter of Twilight and wanted to stove Meyer's head in with a brick so yeah.... I'm gonna avoid teen fiction heh.
    LOL to the made-up Max quote.
    And, I really didn't like the first three chapters. Stephenie Meyer even said, those were probably the worst ones in the book. You have to get to the forth chapter before it really gets good, trust me.
    Took me a few tries before I got into it.
  • edited January 2009
    You were in love with gorillas?

Oh wait, I'm thinking of Jane Goodall.

Not in love love, you know, it was more a "friends with benefits" kind of thing. Also, I enjoy reading Jane Austen's works,but that does not mean I would want to live them. Besides the whole lack of indoor plumbing thing, not a single Austen hero is described as wearing glasses, and I don't think they had even heard of video games. I could never love a man who didn't cry when Aerith died.
  • edited January 2009
    Damn, this Twilight-thing is becoming an epidemic...
    Fairy tales, I mean, really! Don't you people have anything smarter to read OR watch???
  • edited January 2009
    zozenka wrote: »
    Fairy tales, I mean, really! Don't you people have anything smarter to read OR watch???
    What do you have against Ron Perlman?!
  • edited January 2009
    Er... You're obviously here because you like Sam & Max, which is pretty close to a fairy tale.
  • edited January 2009
    zozenka wrote: »

In fact, I do.

*holds up copy of On Writing by Stephen King*

*alternatively, holds up The Dark Tower Series, also by Stephen King*

*if you don't think either of those are worthy of "smart(er)", I hold up a Webster's Unabridged Dictionary*
  • edited January 2009
    Webster's Dictionary! I keep one of those with me all the time!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.