Strongbad Ep 5 game won't run

edited October 2009 in Game Support
Whenever I try to open the game on my PC I get this error

DLL has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall but keep getting the same result. Could it be a memory issue? I haven't had any issues with the other episodes.
I'm currently running windows xp

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried redownloading the game? Also have you tried opening one of the older episodes to see if they are still working properly?
  • edited December 2008
    As I said above, I tried to uninstall and then re-download the game but the same thing happens. I just launched episode 4 with no problems. Any other suggestions?
  • edited December 2008
    I've been having the exact same problem. When I start the game, it gives me the splash screen, but when I click on "Launch Game", it crashes.

Same error: DLL malfunction.

I also have tried reinstalling the game, and it still doesn't work.

And yes, the older games still work.
  • edited December 2008
    I have the same problem. It worked fine on my other computer but I am at a different house and I want to play the game, but I got that error.
  • edited December 2008
    I'm also having this problem. I'm running Windows XP.
    edited December 2008
    Hey Pizzadude, when you transfer your save from the other computer, could you also copy the 105 installer from that computer and try it on your computer?
  • edited December 2008
    I might not still have the installer on that one. If I do, I will. But will it work if I copy the game data from C:\Program Files\TellTale Games\ also? But, I can't do that today. I would have to do that some other time this week.
  • edited December 2008
    Here's things I've tried that do not work:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

2. Reinstalling from a fresh download.

3. Updating DirectX.

4. Updating and/or reinstalling video drivers.
  • edited December 2008
    Awww, crapsicles.
  • edited December 2008
    Here is what the error report says, if that helps:
    AppName: homestar105.exe AppVer: 2008.12.12.16293 ModName: homestar105.exe
    ModVer: 2008.12.12.16293 Offset: 001fa0b8
    It might be just saying which program crashed, but I don't speak computer very well so I can't tell.
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, there is definitely something strange going on here. Could you guys post your system specs and general geographic location? Country/state is all I really need.
  • edited December 2008
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3. Administrator Account. 101 GB Free Space. Total hard drive size: 149 GB. Computer: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2.51 GHz, 2.00GB of RAM. Graphics card: NVDIA GeForce 8400 GS. I have the latest version of DivX, I'm pretty sure. Country: Canada. My other computer which this worked on is the exact same computer.
  • edited December 2008
    Southeastern Australia
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    1.8 GHz CPU
    1.00 GB RAM

I've forgotten how to find out what my video card is.
    edited December 2008
    Wait, the working computer has the exact same system specs as the non-working one? Talk about complicating things...
  • edited December 2008
    I did have to change some things about screen resolution in the registry, but... I don't think that's a problem because all the other SBCG4AP games worked.
    This is confusing. Sorry Will!
  • edited December 2008

System Information
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs)
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

• edited December 2008
    I just changed my screen resolution from 16 bit back to 32 bit and now it works.
  • edited December 2008
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Southeastern Australia
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
    1.8 GHz CPU
    1.00 GB RAM

I've forgotten how to find out what my video card is.
    Right click My Computer, click Properties. Click the Hardware tab. Click the Device Manager button. Click the plus icon next to Display Adapters. It will show you your video card is.
  • edited December 2008
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I just changed my screen resolution from 16 bit back to 32 bit and now it works.
    Hey, it works for me too! :)
    Since I have my save also with me, I can play!
  • edited December 2008
    how do you do that?
  • edited December 2008
    Never mind, I figured it out. It worked for me too! Thanks!!
  • edited December 2008
    Worked for me too. Ta.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm having the same problem with Sam'n'Max Episodes 103, 105 and 106 and this resolution change doesn't work (trust me, trust me). I downloaded installers again yesterday. I've also tried different VGA driver versions.

Specs are:
    Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3
    Asrock 4coredual-sata2 R2.0
    Intel core2duo E7200
    Sapphire Radeon X1650 with driver version 8.360.0.0

With Windows 2000 there was no problems.

Edit: Running as an administrator helped.
This discussion has been closed.