Wii version of 8-Bit is Enough keeps crashing.

edited December 2008 in Game Support
Here is my problem: in Extended Play, the game crashes every time I want to save my game. This includes both the normal save slots as well as the auto-save that happens when going to Strong Bad's house. The Wii just makes a strange buzzing noise and the game freezes upon saving, each and every time I try this. I know it's 100% for sure not the Wii's fault as my other games can save just fine.

I don't know what else to say other than I'm running in widescreen with 480p. I suppose I could try running it in crappy fullscreen to see if that solves it, like the inexcusable lock-ups in Homestar Ruiner.

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Update: Playing the game in crappy, squished 4:3 mode seems to have fixed it.
  • edited December 2008
    Did you try redownloading the game and reinstalling it?
  • edited December 2008
    I just tried that. The game is still broken.
  • edited December 2008
    This is getting strange... now the game *will* let me save in Extended Play in widescreen mode. Both the House of Strong auto-save and manual saves work...

I'm not sure if it was the re-download that did it because right after I did that, the game still froze upon saving, but a few hours later when I tried again, it worked. And I never deleted the save file.
  • edited December 2008
    I've just had a similar issue as well (Wii version), but not in Extended mode. I was running around doing some stuff, went to go back to Strong Bad's house, and when it would normally autosave, it just froze. I had gone back to the house before and played the Gel-arshie game before, and I hadn't had an issue, but for some reason it froze this time. I'll post about where I was (from what I can remember) in the game in a spoiler box below. I don't know how helpful it will be, but I might as well put it down just in case:
    I know I was about to go back to play the Gel-arshie game after setting the fruit thingy to "high" and the red fruits. I had finished the ghost raid, and had found 3 other ghosts after that (photo booth and 2 in SB's house). Before that, I had just broken the light gun crate for the second time. I had gotten Strong Mad, the Algebros, Boxer Joe, and the Bear in my group (I think that's it). I didn't do anything with Marzipan yet.
    I think that's it, if there's anything else you need to know, let me know.

I wonder if this is the same bug that was in Strong Badia the Free, since that had save issues as well. I haven't had issues with any other episode since then, though, so I'm not sure, unless there's differences between the saving in those episodes.

I am enjoying the game so far, though. I think that so far it's funnier than the 1st 3, and will probably be funnier than Dangeresque 3 by the end.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Hey CK, that's definitely not an issue we have experienced around here so hopefully it is just a fluke. If you get it again though, please let us know.
  • edited December 2008
    Will wrote: »
    Hey CK, that's definitely not an issue we have experienced around here so hopefully it is just a fluke. If you get it again though, please let us know.

OK, hopefully I'll have nothing else to report.

One oddity, though, is that even though my game data went back to my last save, I still had the three pictures of the
    ghosts
    , even though I got them between saving and crashing. So I had the pictures themselves, but not the Awesomeness stuff. I'm guessing they are saved differently somehow?
    edited December 2008
    hmm, yeah, it could have crashed after saving that data? But I feel like the wii reverts to a backup if saving fails. That could be completely made up though. Anyway, here's hoping.
  • edited December 2008
    I think the Wii version saves pictures independently of the other information, like how far you are in the story or your awesomeness. I know for sure that the same four Snappy pictures are available for any save slot, in each episode of the series (for example... if I booted up Baddest of the Bands right now and took a pic with the snappy, I could reload an older save from October and the picture I took today would be there).

I did have an experience in one of the older episodes (I think it was Strong Badia the Free) where the game crashed, but when I reloaded, the Snappy pics I took during that play session were still saved. So I'm guessing that whenever you take a picture, the game autosaves just the fact that that picture was taken.
  • edited December 2008
    I think the Wii version saves pictures independently of the other information, like how far you are in the story or your awesomeness. I know for sure that the same four Snappy pictures are available for any save slot, in each episode of the series (for example... if I booted up Baddest of the Bands right now and took a pic with the snappy, I could reload an older save from October and the picture I took today would be there).

I did have an experience in one of the older episodes (I think it was Strong Badia the Free) where the game crashed, but when I reloaded, the Snappy pics I took during that play session were still saved. So I'm guessing that whenever you take a picture, the game autosaves just the fact that that picture was taken.
    Really? Thanks, I didn't know that. That would have stunk for my brother, since it would spoil the locations ghost locations a bit, but I deleted those pics now.

And Will, I was able to beat and 100% the game without any more issues, so hopefully it was just a fluke. I'll see if my brother has any problems when he plays through, though.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh, as an update... I started over a new file in a new save slot, and this time I had zero problems saving in extended play at all. Maybe the redownload did fix it...

I have a hypothesis that maybe the game will freeze up depending on how much "extra" stuff is unlocked (as when the game constantly locked up on me I had finished standard play with very little awesomeness, but the next two times I played I got as much awesomeness points as I could during standard play and the game never once froze...). However... I'm not actually willing to test that out, and I'm not even sure how that would affect the game anyway...

But yeah, as far as I know now, it was a fluke the first time, and the game is fine.
    edited December 2008
    It *shouldn't* be that, because that's one of the scenarios we test the most, both on wii and pc. Just in the course of testing multiple things at once, we usually end up doing a complete awesomeness pass when playing though. Still, stranger things have happened.
This discussion has been closed.