I'm having an error when I try to play...

edited January 2009 in Game Support
Hi! Can anyone help me? When I try to play 8-Bit Is Enough, I get a .dll error. "DLL has encountered an error and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

The technical specs are: AppName: homestar105.exe AppVer: 2008.12.12.16293 ModName: homestar105.exe
ModVer: 2008.12.12.16293 Offset: 001fa0b8

This problem doesn't happen for the first four episodes. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and restarting, to no avail. Any ideas?

Comments

• edited December 2008
    Does it also specify which DLL causes the error, perhaps on the error message title? Some companies also add that information, for bug testing.

Anyway, two DLLs could be the problem. Either the FMod DLL (for the sound handling, I suppose) or the DirectX DLL supplied give a conflict. It could be that this DLL conflicts with one in your System(32) folder in your Windows folder.

I'll be running tests to see if certain things are safe, as a temporary measure.

EDIT: So it's moderately safe to delete the D3DX9_27.DLL (although it's safer to rename it to something like D3DX9_27.BAK or something, just to be absolutely safe). If that doesn't solve the problem, it might just be the FMod DLL.

EDIT2: Replacing FMODEX.DLL with the FMODEX.DLL of another episode also seems to work, although it's very unlikely that's the problem.

If it still doesn't work, I suggest downloading the latest DirectX from the Microsoft site.

That'll be five bucks.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Ringcaat, try changing your computer's color quality from 16-bit to 32-bit and see if that makes a difference. To do this - right-click the desktop, select Properties, and go to the Settings tab.
  • edited December 2008
    Thank you very much, Emily! As your suggestion was simple, I tried it and it worked! How ironic is it that to play a game called "8-Bit is Enough", even 16 bits isn't enough? :)

Thanks to you too, Gary, for being smart! Here's your fee: $$$$$ And a tip: $
  • edited December 2008
    YEAY! That worked for me!!! But ... in that case... I guess 8 bit isn't enough at all. :D
  • edited December 2008
    :confused:I'm having a problem,too. when i try to play #4, it says it can't log me in. i've tryed it on the other 4 games, but they work. i've reinstalled it 3 times! PLEASE HELP!
  • edited December 2008
    I am having the same error, with "8-Bit is Enough".

My color is set to 32-bit, always has been.

First time I played the game, it was playing just great. I played for a few hours and then, in the middle of gameplay, I got the "DLL has encountered an error" message. The game closed. When I opened the game again to see where I had last saved, the game started up just fine.

Now, every time I try to open the game, I get the DLL error. All the details exactly match those posted in the original message.

D3DX9_27.DLL is not present in the Episode 5 folder. I copied it there from another episode, it did nothing.

I backed up FMODEX.DLL and brought in a copy of FMODEX.DLL from another episode. It did nothing.

Help!!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Strobro, try using your serial number instead (click "No thanks, just take me to the demo" then click "Already Paid" and go to the Serial Number Unlock tab). If that doesn't work, go to the Manual Unlock tab and follow the instructions to get an unlock code from us.
  • edited December 2008
    Thanks,Emily! now i need to find my serial number! :D

It didn't work, but i sent an email and now i can play the not demo! :)
  • edited January 2009
    Can someone help with my problem? A reinstall didn't help.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Hey Skankin', when you reinstalled did you update your directX? Also, have you tried updating your graphics drivers recently?
  • edited January 2009
    Hey, it worked! I completely uninstalled Episode 5 (backing up my saved game) and reinstalled, and let DirectX update. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.