Last Survivors (Walking Dead/We're Alive Crossover + Carley)

edited July 2014 in Forum Games

Well, I'm back. I apologize for being away for so long but real life hit me really hard. Fortunately things are back to normal and I finally have the time to start writing again.

The original thread where I first posted my story became corrupted for some reason and I decided that it was for the best to startup a new one. The old chapters are still posted on fanfiction.net.

*This is a crossover fanfic with the "Walking Dead" game/tv show and "We're Alive" a podcast show. Those who are not familiar with We're Alive, it is more like survivors battling the monsters from 28 Days Later and Left 4 Dead than facing the undead in a typical zombie apocalypse movie.

Unfortunately, the characters from We're Alive are all situated in Los Angeles and I had to move them into Georgia to make this work.*

We're Alive podcast: http://www.zombiepodcast.com

Fanfiction "Last Survivors" Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8603472/1/Last-Survivors

Chapter 19: The Nest and the Burrow

Outside of the furniture store, two warring sides were locked in a stalemate. Burt and Angel were cornered at a dead end street, unable to escape. On the other end, Rick and Daryl were doing their best to keep them there with extreme difficultly.

Angel was crouched behind the shot up vehicle as he was using for cover. "Carley and Lee are taking their sweet time," he said as he reached for a fresh a magazine. "They've got to be in trouble."

Burt was still in the shelter of the doorway to the bank. Along the wall, the brick work was cracked and pitted from bullet impacts meant for him. He popped out long enough to fire two more quick shots at their attackers. "I'm open to suggestions!"

Angel opened a small pouch on his vest, producing a fragmentation grenade. "Let's blast our way out."

Burt hated to use the last few precious grenades they had left but might as well use it while they could. "Do it!"

-

Seeking cover behind the bullet ridden truck, Daryl fired a quick burst back with his AK-47.

"Fuck you!" He shouted in frustration before ducking down next to Rick. The people they were facing were peppering them with bullets almost nonstop. It was impossible to move forward, so they settled on exchanging bullets.

Rick made sure the young southern next to him stayed focused. "Any signs of Glenn or Michonne?"

Daryl shook his head. "I swear that I heard a single shot from a shotgun from in the store. If they're in trouble, we could be flanked any moment."

Rick looked down the street they'd just come from. There wasn't enough cover to offer any meaningful protection for a retreat and the idea of leaving Glenn and Michonne did not sit well with him either.

He looked across the street to the furniture store where Glenn and Michonne had just gone to, "Think we can make it?"

Daryl glanced at him in disbelief. "I'm not planning to become swish cheese."

"We need to get off this street and as you said, Glenn and Michonne might be in trouble." Rick explained before adding. "I'll go first and you cover."

"You won't get five steps against these guys."

Daryl had a point but if they stayed here they might as well start carving their own tombstones. "Just do what you can. Got enough ammo for that thing?" Rick pointed to his rifle.

"Enough," The young southern replied confidently before placing a fresh magazine in his weapon. "I'll give them a haircut if they try to take a shot at you."

"That's all I ask," Rick said getting himself ready. "On three."

Daryl nodded.

-

Angel prepared himself to prime and throw the grenade. He glanced at Burt who was ready to cover him, "On three."

Burt nodded.

-

One...

Two...

"STOP SHOOTING!"

A surprised Rick and Daryl looked over of the doors to the furniture store to see Glenn and Michonne shouting at them.

"Hold your fire!" Glenn pleaded to his friends.

-

On the other side, bewildered Burt and Angel stared at Lee and Carley as they also hollered to them to cease firing.

Burt and Daryl had the same reaction. "What the fuck is going on?"

-

A few minutes later...

Thanks to Glenn, Michonne, Lee and Carley's intervention, a cease-fire was called. Both sides were holding their positions as Rick and Burt met halfway in the street to discuss ending hostilities. So far, it was going well.

"Well, this is awkward." Burt quipped.

Rick carefully regarded the older man before him. "Were any of your people injured?

"Carley received a nasty cut on her leg but Lee is looking after her. How about yours?"

"We got lucky," Rick replied. "Sorry for thinking that your people were responsible for that fire. The last thing we need was for our two camps to go to war over a mistake."

"You'll get no argument from me." Burt agreed. "To be honest, if the situation were reversed, I would probably have jumped to the same conclusions. Part of me was out for blood after seeing what happened in that church."

"So, what happens now?" Rick asked.

"Try and forget this incident ever happened and move on," Burt replied before carefully adding. "We have been trying to make peaceful contact with other survivors to exchange any information and resources."

Rick cautiously considered it. This could help both of them. "We could work something out."

"What do you need?"

Rick hesitated. "I would like to ask you three questions, first about your group."

Burt nodded. "Okay."

"How many walkers have you killed?"

The former marine laughed. "Serious? Enough to form an army."

Rick looked serious before asking the next question. "How many people have you killed?"

Now, Burt paused for a moment and answered grimly. "A few."

"Why?"

"It's not like we can pick up a phone and call the police when we're threatened. We kill when we don't have a choice," Burt replied firmly. "Probably just like you."

"Okay," Rick nodded accepting the answer. "I believe you."

"Those were good questions," Burt finally commented. "We should use them ourselves."

"Glad you understand," Rick said. "We just survived a fight with another group and we're careful who we let in to join us."

"This group you fought, is this someone we should be concerned about?"

"It was a place called Woodbury."

Burt frowned. "We exchanged bullets with those people too. What happened?"

"We won and drove off the Governor's people. Most of them are dead but we took a few of them in that were left behind."

"Any of them happen to be named Lilly?"

"No," Rick said. "The Governor shot most of his people when they refused to keep fighting and we didn't bother to get all the names of the dead. Who is she to you?"

*The fucker shot his own people? *Burt thought darkly before he glanced briefly back at Carley who was sitting on a bench as Lee helped to bandage up her leg. "She's no one now."

"What are we going to do with this place?" Rick asked. "Obviously it will have things we both need to survive."

Burt jabbed his thumb towards the bank behind him. "That place has a vault filled with supplies and food, more than we hope to carry back in one run. I propose we split everything down the middle."

"Very generous and what do you want in return?"

"Normally, I would be insulted by someone thinking I might have some interior motive but you are right. If our leader Michael was here, he would want to maintain some sort of line of communication with your group."

Rick briefly looked over the weaponry Burt's people were packing. "Despite what Glenn says, I can't tell you where we live. Not yet."

"And I don't expect you to. We can communicate through radios to arrive at neutral meeting points or something. I know Michael would have my hide if I let you go without trying to get you to agree to this."

"I need to talk to the others before we agree to anything."

-

Angel watched as Burt walked back towards them. "Well, how did it go?"

"He's suspicious but he seems smart and reasonable. He's going back to his people to discuss our proposal."

"Good, the last thing I want is to go back to shooting at each other."

"Just the same, keep an eye on them."

"Like a hawk."

Burt then moved to check on Carley and Lee.

-

Lee felt her glaze upon him as she watched him work. The wound on Carley's leg was messy but thankfully was not deep and cleaned ut easily. It might require stitches but Lee decided to try a couple of small clean thin strips of cloth and a bottle of crazy glue to close it. He glued one end of cloth on one side of the cut before pulling the wound closed. Once that was done, he glued the other end of the cloth into place. He did it three more times to close the wound shut.

"So, how am I doc?" Carley playfully asked.

Lee reached into their medic kit for some bandages to cover her wound. "You'll have a bit of limp for a day or two."

"So, dancing is out of the question?"

"Slow dancing maybe." Lee suggested.

"You need a partner for that." Carley suggested with a wink.

Lee chuckled slightly. "I like the sound of that."

Lee finished tying off the bandage around her leg when he looked up to her with a warm smile. It was then he noticed the narrow cut on the center front of her carrying vest, close to the zipper. It was definitely new and not there before today. Carley looked after her gear, patching and fixing it constantly. Whatever did it was sharp enough to slice through the strong material of the vest.

"What happened here?" Lee said, touching the spot on her vest.

Carley paused before shrugging, trying to sound nonchalant. "Michonne was going all revenge of the ninja on me but missed."

Reaching up, she unzipped her carrying harness, showing the bulletproof vest she wore underneath. Added to it was large 1/4 thick plate of steel sewed securely to the front for additional protection. It was well known that an arrow fired from a high powered bow had little problem penetrating regular body armor. After getting shot twice, Carley was no longer taking any chances and adding that steel plate probably saved her.

Looking at her makeshift ballistic armor, Lee saw the fresh silver nick that Michonne's sword left on the darken plate of steel. He touched the metal that saved her before uttering lowly. "Bitch."

Carley's eyebrows shot up before she smirked. "Love you too."

"Ah," Lee shook his head. "Not you, her."

"I know," Carley softly spoke when she saw Burt approaching. "Everything went well?" She asked him.

"As well as I can hope," Burt answered. "I think we can come to an agreement."

"Do you trust the rest of them?" Lee asked, standing up as the former marine finally stopped before them. Lee still trusted Glenn but the rest of the group he's with were still a big question mark.

"This Rick fellow seems okay." Burt said. "Do you trust this Glenn?"

"Of course, he stopped this Michonne from trying to use me as a pin cushion." Carley replied.

"I think if this group was a threat to us, he would have warned us." Lee added.

Burt nodded. "I put an offer on the table to split everything we find here 50/50 and to maintain some form of contact between us."

"That's pretty risky," Carley disagreed. "Playing devils advocate here. What happens if we try to hold a meeting and they turn the gathering point into an ambush?"

"You don't think that thought has crossed my mind?" Burt replied. "I think it's dumb but for once I have to agree with Michael. We'll stand a better chance with others, sharing resources, information and skills. What do you think Lee?"

"Trust is a dwindling commodity," Lee said. "But yes, we still stand a better chance if we come together than remaining apart. I agree."

Burt nodded and looked to Carley. "What do you say, Rooster?"

"I'm not in a trusting mood after someone tried to dice me up," Carley rose to her feet, testing her bandaged leg. "But I agree with Lee. We could use more friends."

-

"They're willing to split everything we find here," Rick announced to his friends. "All they're asking is to form relations between our camp and theirs."

"Do you actually trust them?" Daryl questioned. "We were exchanging bullets and insults with them just ten minutes ago."

"We still might but for now, we're talking," Rick then looked to Glenn. "How much do you know of them?"

"Just Lee and Carley," the young Korean replied. "I don't know the rest of them."

"For how long have you known those two?" Daryl asked.

Glenn hesitated before admitting. "Maybe a day and a half," He saw the looks of disbelief on everyone's faces and added quickly. "Lee had me at his mercy but he didn't kill me. If I have to give a straight answer then I still trust him and Carley."

Daryl shook his head as Rick pondered their situation before looking to Michonne, asking for her insight. "What do you think? Do we trust them?"

The sword wielding woman looked down the other end of the street to their opposite numbers. They were all questions marks. The young looking blond soldier, the tough old but bearded man, the one eyed woman who fought back like a survivor but the last one in the opposing group was easy to pin. His face was in the papers and news sites, Lee Everett who was convicted of murdering a state senator before everything happened.

Although the way the trial was held stunk, Michonne considered telling Rick this when she watched Lee and Carley interact from a distance. Lee had his arm around her, supporting her as Carley tried to walk on her bandaged leg. You would have to be blind not to see the affection they shared for each other. The glances, the subtle touching of the hands and if it wasn't clear enough, they shared a quick kiss.

It brought back memories to Michonne of the people she once loved and lost that felt so long ago. Quickly, she pushed the thoughts aside as she looked back at Rick to answer his question.

"We all have dark secrets in our past but they may not be so different from our own. We might find some common ground."

"I'll take that as a cautious yes then." Rick said.

-

Angel saw Rick approaching before calling out behind him. "Burt! It's for you."

The old marine stepped towards the sheriff with Lee and Carley moving to stand next to Angel and the three watched the two men meet each other halfway.

"I talked it over with the others," Rick said to Burt before extending his hand. "We agree."

The two men shook and Burt replied. "Pleased to meet you all."

"Thanks." Rick was praying this won't lead to another Woodbury.

-

Needless to say, it was still an awkward moment when the two sides finally all came together and introduced themselves after trying to kill each other. Thankfully, everyone was willing to bury the hatchet and trying to move on. Regardless, Carley kept her good eye on Michonne. After Lilly, she wasn't turning her back on anyone who tried to do her harm.

Burt soon led everyone back to the bank and the treasure trove of supplies which they all needed.

"These people here had it better than we ever did." Daryl commented while holding his flashlight looking over the shelves of supplies and vault filled with food. "Why would the fuckers murder their own?"

"Feeding two dozen people, the food they had could last a few months but feeding just four, it would last a year." Burt said.

Rick stepped closer to the vault, his flashlight catching the blood spatter on the inside vault door and stains on the floor. He gave Burt a questioning look.

"We didn't do that, although I wish we had. They turned on each other." The old marine said.

Rick stepped into the vault avoiding the blood on the floor and inspected the can goods on the shelves. On one shelf all he saw were cans of peaches and beans, lots of cans of peaches and beans. After splitting everything with Burt's group there might be enough to help keep them going until their crops take hold at the prison.

"We can load the food into boxes and divide everything outside." Rick suggested.

Burt nodded. "I spotted some trucks outside we can use to help us haul everything."

"I haven't seen any fuel in here," Daryl said still searching the place with his flashlight. "It might be kept somewhere else. I'm going to take a look around in the other stores."

"Someone should go with you." Angel warned.

"What are you, my dad?"

"Touche." Angel said. "They must have a place for their armory. It'll go faster if we work together."

Daryl considered it for a moment. "Okay, let's go GI Joe."

As Daryl and Angel left, the bank, Burt, Rick, Michonne and Lee helped to box up the food. Carley and Glenn were searching for things in the rest of the building that could be of some use. Glenn was checking over another roll of shelves when he found what he was looking for. "Jackpot! I got batteries over here."

"You can have them." Carley said as she checked more shelves thoroughly.

"Don't you need them too?"

"We use rechargeable batteries." Carley answered him.

"That's just a waste of fuel to use generators to charge them."

"We have a wind turbine to help keep the lights on." She told him.

Glenn looked at her, quite excited. "You guys were able to tap into one?"

"Actually, we were able to make one." Carley said. "Took some doing but we figured it out."

"Sweet! Do you think you can show us how to make one?"

Glenn missed some of the simplest luxuries, like having electricity just to power a light bulb at night. Meeting Lee and Carley again could be the best thing that ever happened to them since finding the prison and making it a home.

"I'll have to talk to Michael about," Carley thought about it. "I sure we can hammer out an agreement."

Maybe, just maybe things are looking up for them, Glenn hoped.

-

Three Months Later...

Carley was a bit surprised that Michael called for a meeting in the Nest's cafeteria. It was in the middle of afternoon and to do this at odd hour usually means bad news.

Entering the large room filled with rows of tables and chairs, people were mingling about either sitting or standing. Carley looked over the sea of familiar faces who were chatting amongst themselves as they waited patiently for whatever announcement that was coming. Nearly everyone was there as far as Carley could tell, with the exception of Burt and Lee who were out on another food and fuel patrol.

Finally, Carley spotted Clementine who was sitting at a table with Pegs. She approached the two with a warm smile before taking a chair next to them.

"Do you know what is going on?' Carley asked the two.

Clementine shrugged. "No idea."

"I heard we received a radio call from the Burrow." Pegs answered.

Rick's camp, Carley thought. "Something happened?"

"Don't know but Michael has been talking to Dr. Cottle before he called for this meeting. It can't be good."

Over the last few months, one of the first things they did was help to provide a new wind turbine to Rick's group (the Burrow) and the plans how to install it. This permitted them to be able to generate power for lights or anything else they needed, including a small radio tower they also constructed, allowing two way communications between the Burrow and the Nest.

Even with this generous gift, both sides were cautious of each other. The Burrow saw the amount of firepower they had and she couldn't blame them for preferring to meet in neutral locations to trade.

Finally, Michael, Angel, Saul and Dr. Cottle entered the cafeteria. The chattering died down when the army Sergeant held up his hand for silence before speaking.

"Just about an 30 minutes ago we received an urgent radio message from the Burrow. They have a medical emergency. A deadly strain of the flu has broken out and it has already taken several lives there. They are requesting for any help we can provide."

"What kind of help, Michael?" Datu asked.

"Antibiotics," he answered. "In fact, everything we have in stock to help fight it."

Around the room, Carley heard mutters of surprise and anger.

"And what if we need that medicine for us?" Someone demanded.

"The Burrow is trying to find more medicine but there is no guarantee they will be successful," Michael explained. "Anything they do find, they will give it to us if we help."

"How will they find anything?" Lizzy asked. "The hospitals and clinics were stripped clean a long time ago."

"Maybe not the veterinary clinics," Michael replied. "That's where they are looking."

There were more surprised gasps of disbelief and mocking laughter.

Now Dr. Cottle spoke up sternly. "Don't laugh and in fact it is brilliant! I spoke directly a Hershel Greene who happens to be a vet and the medicines we give to our pets is exactly the same we use for ourselves. This gives us new places to search for medicines which we would have stupidity turned our noses up at."

"They still might turn up empty handed and their people who are sick may not last the night," Michael said. "This decision affects us all and we need to put it to a vote if we're going to help or not."

"We're sticking our necks out for people we still barely know," Kelly asked. "It's one thing to make a wind turbine for them but to give up all of our antibiotics?"

Carley heard mummers and nods of agreement but Michael wasn't fazed by it.

"I know its asking a lot," Michael said calmly, making sure he made eye contact with everything in the room as he spoke. "It has been nearly two years since that day when the world we knew ended. When we found each other, I promised to you all that I would keep you safe. However, we don't even know what is happening to the rest of the world, let alone outside the state of Georgia. The Burrow is the first friendly community we came into contact with since everything started and they're asking for our help." Michael then gestured to Saul and Angel. "If you remember, the three of us came to your aid without hesitation even though we knew that every bullet we fired in your defense would one less for us to save our asses with later. It's a decision we don't regret." He paused for a moment. "The simple fact is that we need the Burrow to survive because one day we might need someone to come to our aid."

Michael paused before stepping into the middle of the room. "If that is not enough, don't forget the Burrow has children living amongst them. I say we help them."

Michael asked for a show of hands as whether to aid the Burrow or not. Michael, Saul, Angel and Dr. Cottle immediately raised their hands. Carley, Clem, Pegs and Lizzy also joined them. Datu and Kelly also put their hands up in support, followed by a few others. The final vote was eighteen for and five against. Pleased, Michael thanked them and left for the radio room to tell the Burrow that help was on the way.

-

Relief. That's what he felt, honest to goodness relief.

Rick exited the radio room in the prison's administration building with the first bit of good news they'd had over the last two days ever since the deadly flu virus hit. The Nest was sending help and more importantly, medicine. Giving the location of the prison to another community was a dangerous risk but after trading with them in neutral locations over the last couple of months, Rick felt he could trust them. It either take a leap of faith in asking for help or let the disease destroy everything they built here.

Thankfully, Michael had the foresight to provide maps with grid coordinates written on them to make setting up at neutral meeting points safely and easily without the threat from anyone eavesdropping in on their radio chatter. Giving the location of the prison was simple enough but can help arrive in time without anything else going wrong.

Standing outside in the doorway of the admin building, Rick saw Carol carrying two buckets of water pumped from the stream to be boiled for drinking.

He watched her for a moment before finally saying. "That was a stupid thing you did."

Carol stopped and the two made eye contact. When she didn't reply, he continued. "Going out there like that."

"Yes, it was." Carol finally admitted. Going outside of the fence to clean the clogged pipe to the water pump alone was foolish but they were so short handed and the sick need water.

"Michael gave us his answer, they're coming and with antibiotics. They might be here in a few hours." Rick said.

"That is good news." She said thankfully.

Rick nodded and walked down the buildings steps towards her, saying. "I know you do a lot for us, for the kids. You sufficed a lot. Is there anything you wouldn't do for the people here?"

"No." She answered and started to walk away to get back to work.

"Carol," Rick called to her. When she stopped and looked back again, he could barely meet her glaze, dreading in asking his next question. "Did you killed Karen and David?"

The answer came with little hesitation. "Yes."

He suspected her but Rick never dreamt she would admit it so freely. Her response caught him so unprepared, he let her walk away as his mind raced on how to handle this new dangerous situation before Tyreese returns. The man was on a mission to find Karen's killer and deep down, Rick knew what he had to do before Tyreese finds out.

-

At the Nest, Michael and Saul were dressed in their well worn BDUs and gear. Michael wanted to give a good impression when they arrived at the prison. Carley tried to looked sharp too, dressed in olive drab pants, t-shirt and a black ball cap. Ironically, Saul thought that she looked like she belonged in a Quentin Tarantino movie when she got all geared up. Carley wasn't sure if she should be offended or just take it as a compliment.

The two men were busy trying to load up the blue Ford Escape, all the while Dr. Cottle was busy stating his displeasure with Michael.

"I should be going with you. The only real doctor they have has fallen ill and you will need me there."

"And you're the only real doctor we have," Michael retorted. "Its easier to put a bullet into someone than it is to take it out. We can't risk you."

"Just giving the injections won't do," Dr. Cottle insisted. "Some of them will be in critical condition."

"I got this doc," Saul interjected. "If anything serious happens, you can help us over the radio."

"I don't like sitting this one out." Dr. Cottle admitted.

"You're too important to lose." Michael told him again.

"And apparently too important to use either." The doctor finally grumbled before storming away.

They watched him leavewhen they spotted Angel cautiously approaching after witnessing the exchange between the three men from a safe distance. "Ah, he'll be okay. Just remember to bring back some cigarettes."

Michael doubted it'd be that easy. "Hate to leave you short handed but Burt and Lee will be back in another hour."

"I'm more worried about you, we've never been that far north in nine months," Angel confessed. "Anything could be waiting for you between here and there and lets face the facts, this could be a trap."

"If they wanted to screw us over, they had almost a half a dozen chances to do it during our meetings." Saul said.

Michael tapped the small sachet under his arm. "We've got some added insurance if it does happen."

Angel agreed. "That thing will ruin anyone's day but I hope you don't have to use it."

"Me too," Saul said. "We'll be up shit creek if we need to let that thing loose. Where's Carley?"

"Saying her goodbyes." Michael told them.

-

Not far off.

"You understand why I have go, Clementine?"

"Michael needs you." The little girl said.

"That's right, I'm straightest shot here next to Burt," Carley tried to joke. "Lee will be back soon."

"I don't like staying behind. I always worry."

"Don't, I'll be fine. I'll be with Michael and Saul and we look out for each other. Be a strong girl, Clementine."

"But not strong enough not to come with you or Lee."

Carley looked sadly at her before kneeling down and giving Clementine a tight hug. "Leaving you isn't easy for me either."

-

After saying their goodbyes, Michael, Saul and Carley were on the road, heading for the prison. The last time they headed this far north was when they were responding to a mayday call from that Atlanta News helicopter which lead to their confrontation with Woodbury.

Thankfully, according to Rick, Woodbury wasn't a problem anymore but Michael was still thinking of every possible thing that could go wrong when they do finally arrive. What if this was indeed a trap or if the disease was real and has worsened to the point that only the dead was left manning the gates when they arrive.

In the passenger seat next to him, Michael heard the conversation that Saul was having with Carley in the backseat.

"It's not hard. What do you miss the most?" Saul asked, looking back at her.

Carley leaned into her seat, in deep thought. "Doritos."

"Chips?" Saul laughed. "Come on, you're thinking small."

"Okay, what food do you miss the most since the zombie apocalypse?"

"Pizza!"

The former reporter giggled. "What's so special about pizza beside its ability to go straight to my waist?"

Michael shook his head. If only I can relax like those two.

"Hey, don't mock pizza. It is the greatest invention ever and you can put anything on it that you like." Saul replied.

"There is something else that can do that and its called the hamburger."

Saul laughed again before continuing their game. "I miss Mountain Dew."

"Coffee. I missed not having it every morning." Carley admitted.

"Spaghetti."

"French fries."

"Oh, I'd give anything for bacon." Saul sounded like he was about to drool before looking at the sergeant in the driver's seat. "What food do you miss, Michael?"

He paused before saying. "Lobster. I never had a chance to try it."

"Why's that?" Carley asked.

"Well," Michael hesitated. "Before everything happened, I'd just got back from overseas and I... I had problems adjusting to normal civilian life. There was this girl living in an apartment down from me. We knew each other and I guess she was trying to help and kept trying to invite me to this seafood restaurant but I kept turning her down. She meant well but I just didn't feel ready. Now, every once and awhile I think of her and where she might be."

Michael kept driving as Saul and Carley looked at Michael sadly. Then the sergeant glanced at them, apologizing. "Sorry, I didn't mean to be a downer."

"Hey, it's alright." Saul said.

"Regrets," Carley said quietly. "We all have them Michael."

Michael just nodded in agreement when up ahead he saw a railway crossing, and he slowed down cautiously. There was no power for the warning signals at the crossing but didn't mean that someone couldn't have a functioning train, especially after Lee told them they used one to get to Savannah. He had no desire to discover someone with a working train by getting t-boned by it when crossing the tracks.

He stopped short at the railway crossing, looking both ways when his eyes caught something on the side of the right warning signal.

"What's that?" He said aloud.

Saul spotted it immediately. "Hello." He muttered before opening the car door.

"What is it?" Carley asked in curiosity as to what the two men spotted.

Michael put the vehicle in park and they all got out with assault rifles ready. Saul approached the right warning signal first and the large wooden sign mounted on it. He read it out loud.

"Terminus. Sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who arrive survive. Hmmm, they've got a map and everything pinpointing it."

Carley was hopefully. "More survivors! Think they're still around?"

"I have my doubts." Michael said.

Carley looked at him. "Why?"

"Advertising themselves like this is stupid," Michael explained. "We don't post signs pointing to the Nest and I know Rick's group sure doesn't. Might as well add the line, come and pillage us."

"Think this might be a trap?" Saul asked.

"Anything is possible but if they survived for this long, they must be doing something right," Michael admitted. "But to do this, broadcasting themselves like this. If something is too good to be true..."

Carley nodded. "Remember when I told you about a month into the outbreak that we were approached by these people from a dairy farm?"

"The family of cannibals." Saul winced, remembering Carley's story in disgust. People eating people was too hard to believe for him. As if walkers weren't bad enough.

"Yeah," Carley said. "What should have tipped us off was that they were too damn nice and inviting. Meanwhile we were so hungry and desperate that they lured us so easily to their farm."

Michael stepped closer to the map, eyeing it intently. Terminus. The way they highlighted all the roads on the map leading to it looked like that of a spider web. Terminus was off in the wrong direction and making any effort to investigate it difficult without wasting more fuel.

"Regardless what that place might be is not our concern," Michael decided. "We might check it out one day but for now we've got people in that prison depending on us. Let's get back to the vehicle."

TBC...

Sign in to comment in this discussion.