New version is available!

HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
edited November 2005 in Game Support
Hello all again!

There should be a new version of everything coming down the pipe in just a few hours which will hopefully solve many of the problems/confusions people are currently experiencing.

Thank you all for your patience while we get our feet wet with our new digital distribution system.

Heather

Comments

• HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2005
    Hooray! The new version is up! It is also 20mb smaller!

Hope this helps clear up some of those issues some of you have been experiencing.
  • edited September 2005
    Hi Heather. :)

What issues does the new version resolve? Is it just installation/key stuff, or also gameplay issues? If someone has already installed and successfully unlocked the game, is it necessary to download it again? (And if we did this, would saves from the old version still work?)

Thanks.

-emily
  • edited September 2005
    Hooray! The new version is up! It is also 20mb smaller!

Hope this helps clear up some of those issues some of you have been experiencing.

Is this new version out? I uninstalled the game, went to the account page to download the game files again (it downloads the small application, and then downloads the full installer), and not only does the game keeps installing in the same directory as before (no matter the directory I select) but also the file is still 70 MB (the same as before, right)?

Also, a small suggestion. The small installer file downloads the full installer to a Temp directory, and then deletes it. Why not put it on a "visible" place, so that people can easily find it and store it? The first 2 times I installed the game (I installed, uninstalled, and installed again to see if the game would install in the directory I selected) I was unable to find the file (I searched, but no results were returned for some reason), so I downloaded everything again...
  • edited September 2005
    At last!!! I have downloaded the new version and now I can install the game in my D: drive, and it has retrieved the key perfectly!
    Now I can play the full game!!!! :D
    Thanks to Telltale for the fast solution.
    Graphic Adventures forever!!!! :)
  • edited September 2005
    Hi All,

By and large, this new version addresses issues people are having with activation and purchasing. If you have already unlocked the game, there is no need to download this new version.

Here are the release notes on the new version:

- Addresses issues involving activation through modems or proxies.

- New installer.
    -- Now respects custom install path.
    -- Nearly 20 MB smaller download, thanks to improved compression.

- Improved messaging in the reminder page indicates various functional elements appropriately.

If you are having issues with activating your purchased product, please do the following:
    1. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs
    2. Delete the Download Manager for your computer, if you saved it.
    3. Download and run the latest Download Manager using this link. This the default link used by all our download buttons on the site.
    4. Install the new version and run it.
    5. If you have already purchased the game, in the resulting reminder screen, click on the words
      ACTIVATE A PREVIOUS PURCHASE - CLICK HERE.
    6. Enter the information requested.
    7. If you have not yet purchased the game, simply click on the "Buy Full Version" button to proceed.

Hope this helps!

Troy
  • edited September 2005
    I'm still at a loss. I bought the game, and got the email confirming the purchase. Yet my recent purchases shows nothing, and their hasn't been a charge to my credit card. I try writing to telltale, but don't get a response.
  • edited September 2005
    -- Now respects custom install path.

Like I mentioned above I downloaded the game again and did a clean install, but it installed (again) the files to the Program Files directory, and the directory I selected only got an Empty Folder.

This version is near 74 MB, is this the new version (downloaded less than an hour ago)?
  • edited September 2005
    Like I mentioned above I downloaded the game again and did a clean install, but it installed (again) the files to the Program Files directory, and the directory I selected only got an Empty Folder.

Make sure you're using the new installer (here , as Troy's post goes).

If it still keeps downloading the same archive, clean out your temporary internet files and try again.

I've downloaded the new install (it's about 54 mb) and it works perfectly.

Hope it helps.

All the best,

Michael.
  • edited September 2005
    The installer messed up AGAIN. I don't know what's wrong this time.

Downloading the new 50MB version.

Got to 35MB.

Sent a single email with 100KB of attachments (2) with Outlook 2003. I guess this used all my bandwidth and sent a timeout to the Bone downloader program.

See an NCIS or something error saything the download is corrupt, or virus, or anything could have gone wrong. Click okay, try the downloader program again, says 100% (SAME OLD ERROR!!) and then brings up the same error message.

Click okay, tried to run the 35MB downloaded program manually before seeing it is 35MB, get the same error message.

I deleted the 35MB program and tried the downloader again. It automatically overwrote the Boneville.exe file in temp/DRDld - starting again at 0%.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The joys. I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program. I sent Fileplanet a notification to update their link, but they only are contactable for tech support and they sent me a weird reply asking for my error message etc.

Please work these things out and fix with a patch, I can't keep downloading this whole file!!
  • edited September 2005
    I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program.

It's worth it. ;) I remember I often used to get time-outs whenever I tried downloading more than one task at the same time with dial-up.

All the best,

M.
  • edited September 2005
    I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program.

It's worth it. ;) I remember I often used to get time-outs whenever I tried downloading more than one task at the same time with dial-up.

All the best,

M.

I just tried again. Same error at 35-40MB. I just got an email from service@digitalriver.com saying:

"In order to fully license Bone: Out from Boneville, please open the application and click on the `Enter Key Manually' option.
    Please copy the below information exactly as you see it here and then click the `OK' button."

I don't have this in the old version.

I used to be able to get a screen saying 'enter key' after clicking 'finish' on the invoice, then it would try to get the key through the net, fail, then give me the dialog box. Not so anymore after uninstalling for the new version as Troy said - now I reinstalled the old version and it doesn't bring up the box.

ARGH this is very painful.
  • edited September 2005
    Ben - Navigate to the Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\DRDld and remove the installer from there. Then redownload the file and use the key I sent. It'll work. I understand that you are on dial up and that's a hassle. However, the download speed is something that's throttled by the ISP and the download server when they talk. I'll be checking email again throughout the day to ensure your issue is resolved.

Thanks.

Paresh

Downloading the new 50MB version.

Got to 35MB.

Sent a single email with 100KB of attachments (2) with Outlook 2003. I guess this used all my bandwidth and sent a timeout to the Bone downloader program.

See an NCIS or something error saything the download is corrupt, or virus, or anything could have gone wrong. Click okay, try the downloader program again, says 100% (SAME OLD ERROR!!) and then brings up the same error message.

Click okay, tried to run the 35MB downloaded program manually before seeing it is 35MB, get the same error message.

I deleted the 35MB program and tried the downloader again. It automatically overwrote the Boneville.exe file in temp/DRDld - starting again at 0%.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

The joys. I will now reconnect for my next 4 hour limited session of dialup and spend the entire time not doing ANYTHING but downloading the boneville.exe installer through the downloader program. I sent Fileplanet a notification to update their link, but they only are contactable for tech support and they sent me a weird reply asking for my error message etc.

Please work these things out and fix with a patch, I can't keep downloading this whole file!!

I just tried again. Same error at 35-40MB. I just got an email from service@digitalriver.com saying:

"In order to fully license Bone: Out from Boneville, please open the application and click on the `Enter Key Manually' option.
    Please copy the below information exactly as you see it here and then click the `OK' button."

I used to be able to get a screen saying 'enter key' after clicking 'finish' on the invoice, then it would try to get the key through the net, fail, then give me the dialog box. Not so anymore after uninstalling for the new version as Troy said - now I reinstalled the old version and it doesn't bring up the box.

ARGH this is very painful.

______

Patience is a virtue but mine is wearing thin.

After all my forum posts and emails to various people, I get one single response from Paresh, stating basically he didn’t read my email.

I KEEP REMOVING THE FILES IN THE DRDld folder.

I keep trying to REDOWNLOAD THE 50MB version.

IT KEEPS STOPPING AT UNDER 40MB.

IT GIVES ME an ERROR about NCIS, the downloader says 100 %.

It’s been 10 hours since I emailed you, I hope you check this – I have to sleep sometime. I spent ALL last night with these problems.

AS STATED MANY MANY TIMES – THIS IS BELOW IN THIS EMAIL:

____

“I just tried again. Same error at 35-40MB. I just got an email from service@digitalriver.com saying:

ARGH this is very painful.”

If you read above this you will see this is my THIRD attempt to download the NEW File. I spent four goes doing the 70MB file yesterday.

So basically, I’ve spent maybe…20-24 hours of internet connection DOWNLOADING THESE UNWORKABLE FILES???

I have paid for the game. MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO PLAY.

________

WHAT WORKED LAST TIME WITH THE 70MB version: some nice person sent the actual BonevilleInstaller.exe file through www.yousendit.com last time. If you were understanding of the issues I am having something like this could perhaps be offered – or a new version placed on Fileplanet or another mirror.

It would be most appreciated, if I REALLY have to download another 50MB on top of the half gigabyte or so I have attempted with Bone…perhaps you could ASSURE my download will work by circumventing the STUPID STUPID downloader program so that it WILL ACTUALLY DOWNLOAD.

I am getting more angry all the time. I say over and over, I CAN’T DOWNLOAD THIS. You keep telling me to download it again.

Make it easier for me to download, bring out a patch, or just plain help me.

It is not feasible to constantly re-download a file THAT NEVER COMPLETES.

Please get back to me ASAP. My partner Leah is doing a post-graduate university presentation on how computer and video games can promote reading.. Bone is a major part of this speech so it would be great if we could try the game we BOUGHT before her presentation on Tuesday. I figured, since we paid on Friday that this wouldn’t be unreasonable!!!

If these teething problems occur for each new release, I will be waiting at least up to a week before getting anything else through Telltale.

HELP. ASAP.

Sincerely

Ben
  • edited September 2005
    Ben,

Sent you an email. Let me know if it can be of any help asap and I'll send it out straight away. That does, however, involve downloading another 50 megs... :(

Regards,

Michael.

PS: Thank you for the cards!
  • edited September 2005
    Thanks dude, I am so frustrated and silly I forgot I am going to a place with 1MB cable for the next few hours...was more thinking about seeing the new Wallce & Gromit and how to fix this thing than the fact that I could get the new version without any worries..

However I really really hope the 'finish' button where I can put in my key works..as another user is having this problem again with the new version!!!
  • edited September 2005
    Let us know once you get it working. Let me know if the Curse of Were-Rabbit is worth watching! :)

All the best,

Michael.
  • edited September 2005
    I thought the working title "The Great Vegeatable Plot" was better :)
  • edited September 2005
    Hi Teapot, I got the game working - was wonderful!!

Also Wallace & Gromit was the best yet...longer too!!!

Now I'm just waiting a couple of months for the Australian release of Corpse Bride...!
  • edited September 2005
    Hi, I tried to download the game, and the link just seems to do nothing. Pretty weird and I have no idea why, so I had a friend download it and send to me. I played the incredibly short demo, but it had issues with multiple lines of dialog being spoken/displayed at once. I want to get this new version, so hopefully the dialog will work correctly and I can justify paying for the full version, but this link isn't working for me either

http://drh.digitalriver.com/activationserver/servlet/DownloadServlet?productID=1402273&siteID=69099&platformID=atlantic&CID=0

When I click on it, it just opens a blank window with that url in the location bar, not loading or anything. What should I do?
  • edited September 2005
    got a friend to send me that one too, it's just the digitalriver crap that doesn't work for me, because that file downloads the game just fine. Once it's all here, I'll see if the dialog is fixed.

Edit: I played the new version of the demo, and this time didn't turn on "laptop mode" (despite the fact that this is a laptop...) and didn't have the dialog issues, so I've ordered up the full game.

Not so much because the demo was any good (I thought it sucked), but because I want to support the adventure game community. Hope the rest of the game is better than the demo, and hope that telltale keeps working on more adventure titles.
  • edited October 2005
    but because I want to support the adventure game community.

Now that's the spirit! Although I liked the demo (can't play the full game until there's an option of paying via direct debit) - especially the 3-person dialogue.
    Now I'm just waiting a couple of months for the Australian release of Corpse Bride...!

I dunno, the majority opinion seems to be that the visuals rocked, but the plot fell short of expectations. I'll wait for the DVD release, maybe.

All the best,

Michael.
  • edited November 2005
    corpse bride was a fun movie.
    I think with a film like that you arn't looking for a really deep plot. Lots of songs and jokes to go around. Nightmare is still better. If your looking for the best animated film of the year look to the wallace and gromit movie.
  • edited November 2005
    I received email notification that there is another new version (including the option to skip mini-games etc), but the DigitalRiver download system still doesn't work for me. Can someone provide me a direct link to the new version? Thanks.
  • edited November 2005
    Still waiting for a reply! Do you guys want to get paid or not?!
  • edited November 2005
    Hi Ira.

Did a quick search, and it seems like gamespot has the newest version for download. Looks from the filesize to be the full file, not the digital river installer aswell. Looks like you'll have to register for free at their site, to be able to download it, but atleast you'll get it!

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/bone/downloads.html?part=rss&tag=gs_pc&subj=6139697

Hope that helps.

-apignarb
  • edited November 2005
    Thanks for your help apignarb, but shouldn't TellTale be providing help? Kinda reduces my faith in them...
This discussion has been closed.