Gifted season 2, ruined a computer, and christmas.

edited February 2009 in Game Support
For my sister's cristmas present i sent her a copy of s&m season 2, what a great gift,... Thank you telltale and especially SECUROM for making her christmas memorable. Now she has frequent problems with her computer, and it won't even let her play the game(double bonus) . And what a thoughtful person i am, my presents are always the best, they leave lasting impressions, much like securom's effect on her computer. All i can say is if season three or any more of the games here have this helpful little gadget hidden within the program, i won't be buying it. Maybe i'll gift it to Joe whom i work with, i hate that guy.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Wow. That is unfortunate. What compute does she use? Is it a compatible one?
  • edited January 2009
    i don't think there's a "compatible" computer out there for securom. it's all about what programs you have. All i know is it's running on windows xp, not sure the brand or what. She's just going to have to reinstall windows to get rid of it, as she's not that computer literate.
  • edited January 2009
    We bought Spore a couple months ago and it had Securom installed in there too. Yes, it was a terrible, terrible three days. Wouldn't let us install anything at all.
  • edited January 2009
    After buying DeadSpace, wich has Securom, i decided never to buy an EA product ever again for 2 reasons.

1) Over the top intrusion of my computer.
    2) No support for the customers. They have like, zero ways of getting reached, refuses to patch the game despite some easy to solve issue... And they don't make DLC available for the pc users.

However, TellTale's Securom is set on like the lowest settings and never caused a problem for me. + they have awesome service for the fans. I'm quite sure they can help you out if indeed Securom is the issue.

Sorry you had these problems :( Maybe even i could try to help out if you give more details.
  • edited January 2009
    I didn't even know Telltale had SECUROM........
  • edited January 2009
    I didn't know that eather.
    I just checked my regestry... and jep! It's there.
    I'm a bit disapointed, but I have to say, that it didn't cause any troulbes on my mashine
  • edited January 2009
    Yep, we do use it, but as PatsDark said we use the most minimal implementation in both the disc and download versions. It doesn't install anything to your system outside of the game .exe and leaves nothing behind when the games are uninstalled.
  • edited January 2009
    EA has securom? Dang. EA is one of the few companies making mac os ports...:(
  • edited January 2009
    I run spore... and sims 2... and S&M season 2 with no problems. *shrug* Securarom doesn't seem to have done much to my pc aside from annoy me with EA's downloader occassionally...
    There is a way to disable it you know, just look it up on the net if it's causing that much of a problem. I know it can get pissy about certain DVD and CD burning software, it doesn't like even legit ones.
    As I said, i've not encountered any particular problems (yet) so I can't offer that much sympathy.

I've also never had a problem with EA. But then i've not needed to contact them about any sort of support. Atari yes, EA no. (and for the record, Atari are very good at replacing faulty cd keys, oh yes)
  • edited January 2009
    I did have a Securom problem once when playing Season 1 off the (real, legal) DVD. It wouldn't start the game, and told me to visit a URL to find out why. When I looked, it was just a site explaining what Securom was. Anyway, I rebooted, and the game worked fine after that, so I didn't need to bug Telltale Support that time around.
  • jmmjmm
    edited January 2009
    I'm not playing devil's advocate, but maybe the problem was triggered by Securom, but it was not the cause. Maybe the computer had malware, Trojans or viruses or it just had, and I'm very confident that this could be the real problem, configuration problems (Corrupted registry, bad drivers, etc.)

I only had one problem with Securom, but was resolved after a reboot (It complained I had Process Explorer in memory)
  • edited January 2009
    jmm wrote: »
    I'm not playing devil's advocate, but maybe the problem was triggered by Securom, but it was not the cause. Maybe the computer had malware, Trojans or viruses or it just had, and I'm very confident that this could be the real problem, configuration problems (Corrupted registry, bad drivers, etc.)

I only had one problem with Securom, but was resolved after a reboot (It complained I had Process Explorer in memory)

The version of Securom that installs a driver has tendency to conflict with other device drivers, yes. It can be even useful if it hits a skulking rootkit on your PC, but it can be a severe annoyance if you have CD/DVD emulation software like DaemonTools - as it was in my case, I was cleaning up the ensuing mess for quite a few hours.

It's good news that Telltale doesn't use the device driver version, though - it makes it quite unlikely that OP's problems stem from installing Sam and Max.
  • edited January 2009
    Sprry i was away for a bit, i never realized i had securom running on my comp either, but there it is. must have got it from season one or two, but i'm running windows vista (supposedly unstable) with no virus protection of any kind, and i download alot of stuff off p2p sites, and i've had no problem with it securom being there.. My sister on the other hand runs xp (quite stable) along with a good antivirus program, and it wrecked havok on her machine,....? i can't say exactly what she is running as she's in another province, it's just plain unfortunate i guess.
    General question: if securom causes a major problem on your computer requiring some sort of tech assistance (for those of us not very computer literate) could securom be held responsible, seeing as how there was no agreement on their software being installed in the first place?
  • edited February 2009
    maybe JUST maybe it had nothing to do with telltale and had alot to do with either
    1. your sisters general pc knowledge her pc setting and the fact that she downloads 500 virus's of Myspace and habohotel.com

2. the computer is so cloged up with sick photo's of her friends it doesn't have enough room for the game left on the hdd after installing the game to run it
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Let's not jump to conclusions, on either side. It's unlikely that SecuROM caused the problems on the computer -- we have been using it in our games for several years without reports of problems like this -- but without knowing more about the computer setup and the problems she's having, none of us are really in a position to say what the problem is.

duanegraham, it sounds from your post like your sister was never able to get Sam & Max running, and I'm sorry to hear that. She's certainly welcome to email us at support@telltalegames.com for help with that if she wants to. If she can't get the game working, we can refund the order.
This discussion has been closed.