A revisioning of a classic american institution...

I'm not one to beat around the bush, or other shrubberies, so here it goes; I'd like Telltale to bring back Sam and Max Hit the Road in redux form. That is to say, take the old scumm and make it scummier, the 1D and make it 7D, make whack a rat; whack all ugly and cute critters. Not to say I'd like a complete George Lucas (TM) Solo shoots second, super uber effects episode 4 type deal, but similar. Use the same original script and guts, but make it look like the new S&M episodes that TTG is doing. Add some bonus puzzles and locales to the game, however staying true to the original thematics and zaniness. Maybe throw a gag or two in from the comics or even the tv show. I just miss the original that much and would love to add more stuff to my crowded collection. Don't know what has to be done in order to facilitate my dream, but after all the hoop-la and delays, petitions, and stuff to get Sam and Max out of the moth balls and into new adventures it can be done. And so here we are reading messages and love letters to our favorite dog and rabbity thing. For the love of Pete, bring back to us, bring back to us

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Tell it to LucasArts, they own it.
  • edited January 2009
    If you miss the original so much, go and play it again. ;)
  • edited January 2009
    you really need to go read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_laws

then go and talk to Lucus Arts about HtR...
  • edited January 2009
    I'm not one to beat around the bush, or other shrubberies, so here it goes; I'd like Telltale to bring back Sam and Max Hit the Road in redux form. That is to say, take the old scumm and make it scummier, the 1D and make it 7D, make whack a rat; whack all ugly and cute critters. Not to say I'd like a complete George Lucas (TM) Solo shoots second, super uber effects episode 4 type deal, but similar. Use the same original script and guts, but make it look like the new S&M episodes that TTG is doing. Add some bonus puzzles and locales to the game, however staying true to the original thematics and zaniness. Maybe throw a gag or two in from the comics or even the tv show. I just miss the original that much and would love to add more stuff to my crowded collection. Don't know what has to be done in order to facilitate my dream, but after all the hoop-la and delays, petitions, and stuff to get Sam and Max out of the moth balls and into new adventures it can be done. And so here we are reading messages and love letters to our favorite dog and rabbity thing. For the love of Pete, bring back to us, bring back to us

The original game is perfect the way it is.
  • edited January 2009
    It was a great game. Now, does anyone know where I can find a copy that has SOUND? :D
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    It was a great game. Now, does anyone know where I can find a copy that has SOUND? :D

Do you run the game from Scumm VM?
  • edited January 2009
    Shauntron wrote: »
    Do you run the game from Scumm VM?

Not sure exactly what that is, so I probably don't. :P
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Well those old Lucas Arts games (among others with the same engine) don't run so well on modern computers. Especially when it comes to the sound, because sound hardware was all screwy back then. ScummVM is a program that takes care of all that and will probably let you run Hit the Road with sounds, voices and music.

http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php
  • edited January 2009
    I might add I've played on both high-end and low-end systems using ScummVM and had no problems with sound (and yes, what a PITA it was back in the early 90s to get sound working in games...)
  • edited January 2009
    DOSBox works too. It also lets you make videos, which I've found useful.

Does ScummVM do that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but I'm not certain.
  • edited January 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    I might add I've played on both high-end and low-end systems using ScummVM ...

I even played it on a Nokia E51 phone :D
  • edited January 2009
    I even played it on a Nokia E51 phone :D

Axim X51v PDA and eee pc 4g too ;)
  • edited January 2009
    I got ScummVM, and there's music, but still no voices. Any suggestions?
  • edited January 2009
    Might be a stupid question, but are you playing the Talkie or floppy disk version?
  • edited January 2009
    Floppy version. Does it make a difference?
  • edited January 2009
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    Floppy version. Does it make a difference?

doesn't have speech on for space reasons
  • edited January 2009
    Yup, you'll need the CD version to get voices. Try hunting it down on eBay or similar ^_^
Sign in to comment in this discussion.