How to get Sam and Max To Work on XBLA

edited March 2009 in Sam & Max
Ever since Wallace and Gromit has been announced, I can't help but feel Telltale should release Sam and Max and Strong Bad for Xbox Live Arcade. I have come up with 3 ways or Telltale to release them.

1. Individually. (Doesn't need explanation.)

2. Individually and A Full Season single download for 2400 MS Points. (You can buy the 2400 one when first episode is released, re-download when Episode 2 comes out, Achievements added in addition to game.)

3. Retail Season and Individually online. (At Gamestop, EB Games, etc. you can buy the full season for 34.95. You send an activation code to an email @telltale.com. Every time an episode is released, Telltale sends an email containing a download code for the new episode.)

So Telltale, I would like to also thank you for taking 3 of my favorite media franchises and turning them into some sort of playable game. (I'm looking at you, Wallace and Gromit for the Original Xbox.

I also enjoy the Not-So-Subtle hint you put on Wallace and Gromit. It gives me a lot of joy.

Comments

• edited February 2009
    I have a bad feeling about this X-box thing, I mean, how do the controls work with an analogue stick? There's probably a reason theres no point'n'click games on consoles without a pointer.
  • edited February 2009
    I have a bad feeling about this X-box thing, I mean, how do the controls work with an analogue stick? There's probably a reason theres no point'n'click games on consoles without a pointer.

there were on the ps1
  • edited February 2009
    Was it good?
  • edited February 2009
    And Telltale's own CSI games have been on the 360 as well. I haven't PLAYED them on the platform, so I don't know how well they run, but they do.
  • edited February 2009
    Was it good?

it (bs2) was awkward to say the least
  • edited February 2009
    Thats freaky. In less than a week of saying this is announced. Now post a topic about how Sam and Max Season 3 could launch next week. In 5 days we could have some very good news...
  • edited February 2009
    Won't work with a gamepad.

The games not built for that control and substituting the analogue stick for a mouse is a lesson in frustration.
  • edited February 2009
    How to get Sam and Max to work on a gamepad:

Left Analog Stick Used as an Analog Stick: Move Sam/Wallace/Strong Bad
    Right Analog Stick Used as an Analog Stick: Move Mouse/Pointer
    Select Button: Inventory
    D-Pad: Alternate Inventory
    A: Select
  • edited February 2009
    Using a joystick to move a pointer is not fun.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Quuux wrote: »

And yet, you posted here that you prefer point & click over direct control. :confused:
  • edited February 2009
    I've seen point-and-click controls being translated well on the XBLA/PSN. For example, I played the Penny Arcade Episode 1 demo on my Mac before getting it for the 360. The Mac version (and I'm pretty sure the PC version did this as well) had point and click controls to move your character and interact with things. The 360 used the analogue stick and the buttons to do the exact same thing, and it translates pretty well.

So, making Sam and Max XBLA-compatible is certainly not impossible. It might be a little tricky to get everything functioning correctly, but it can be done.
  • edited February 2009
    Not without rewriting the game.

Direct control is fine, but it has to be designed from the start. Games like Grim Fandango or Broken Sword 3 or Dreamfall were designed spefically for Direct control and as such were pretty natural to use imo.

There are too many hot spots etc in the S&M games to make the walk over and interact with mechanic work which means you end up shoehorning mouse movements to the analogue stick and that is pants.
  • edited February 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    And yet, you posted here that you prefer point & click over direct control. :confused:

Heh well, yeah I should have specified mouse control; I was mostly concerned with the PC versions.
  • edited February 2009
    Quuux wrote: »

using a mouse to move a pointer too is boring... i've been doing it for too long
  • edited February 2009
    I still have my copy of Blazing Dragons on the first Playstation. It was a point and click adventure game, and you would just use the control pad to move the pointer and X to click. Triangle brought up the inventory, and O let you switch between your commands on your pointer (i.e. Talk, Look, Walk, Click).

So, I think Sam and Max will work just fine on XBLA. Now I just wish I had a 360.
  • edited February 2009
    Ooze33 wrote: »
    I still have my copy of Blazing Dragons on the first Playstation. It was a point and click adventure game, and you would just use the control pad to move the pointer and X to click. Triangle brought up the inventory, and O let you switch between your commands on your pointer (i.e. Talk, Look, Walk, Click).

So, I think Sam and Max will work just fine on XBLA. Now I just wish I had a 360.

they are pretty cheap now like the cost of a wii
  • edited March 2009
    This is a pretty important thing; what will the general range of pricing be? I am curious because I am going to purchase some MSPoints soon, and would like to know if I will have any free cash. Here is my ideal pricing: Season 1: 1600 Points ($20) Season 2: 2400 Points ($30), those are the current prices on the wii to my knowledge. As long as both seasons equal 4000, I will be happy.

Free would be nice too.
  • edited March 2009
    Good thing you made your text so big, otherwise I wouldn't have realized how important your post was.

I'm kind of curious if the seasons will be released all at once, or if they'll roll the episodes out one at a time on a weekly schedule or something.
  • ArtArt
    edited March 2009
    Maybe you can control Sam with the analog stick. No point and click.
    To get stuff... wait for it.
    Inventory: select and analog stick.
    A: select.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.