Wallace and gromit demo... (graphics problems)

edited June 2009 in Game Support
Is it just MY computer, or does everybody else have this problem: Things like: The Machine gromit was playing chess with, and the car, are all almost invisible, there are little chopped up parts of it, but not the whole thing...my computers not terrible, but its not high-tech. but I REALLY want the preorder deal!

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I have some graphical problems as well...sometimes the same thing happens to me. Also, I usually like to keep my game windows at 800x600 and not full screen (my monitor is 1024x768) but the game is choppy when I do that, even when I put quality to 1, which is really annoying,
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Sorry to hear about the problems. It would help if you could tell us some more about your computer (what type of video card you have, how much memory, DirectX version, etc.) Thanks!
  • edited March 2009
    Ok, so apparently I have a Radeon 9250, I looked on the Nvidia website for that, and it says I dont have any drivers installed if that matters, but it says I dont NEED any drivers to install. If I do need to install one, tell me if they're free and a link where I can get one.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    You mentioned checking the nVidia website. The Radeon is an ATI product. Perhaps you meant ATI, but just in case, the drivers you might need are here: http://ati.amd.com/products/catalyst/index.html
  • edited March 2009
    In the W&G demo there are widescreen bars present even when using widescreen resolution; that is, the picture never fills up the screen.

Is this part of the game design, or is this an issue with my computer? Thanks.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    The game always displays at an aspect ration of 16:9. Some widescreen monitors are not exactly 16:9 (My Dell monitor is 16:10). So this is part of the design of the game. What resolution are you running it at?
  • edited March 2009
    Hi Kevin,

I've tried running it at 1280X800 and 1440x900, and the black widescreen bars are still at the top and bottom of the screen. My monitor is a 20 inch widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 206BW. I think it's 16:10 aspect ratio.

Also, the black bars still show even when I'm in windowed mode using 1024x768 and other non widescreen resolutions.

The Sam and Max and Strong Bad games always filled up the entire screen for me, so is there anything I can do to not have the black bars?
  • edited March 2009
    No, sorry. As Kevin said, the game will always letterbox itself to run at a 16x9 aspect ratio.
  • edited March 2009
    Ok, thanks for the info. Running it at a higher res (1680x1050) makes the bars less noticeable.
  • edited March 2009
    Ok so I got a driver called ATI catalyst, I can go to the control center, but then what do I do to change it?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    You just need to install the driver. You shouldn't need to do anything else from there. If you are still having problems, could you take a screenshot of what you are talking about?
  • edited March 2009
    fred1712 wrote: »
    Ok, so apparently I have a Radeon 9250, I looked on the Nvidia website for that, and it says I dont have any drivers installed if that matters, but it says I dont NEED any drivers to install. If I do need to install one, tell me if they're free and a link where I can get one.
    Correct, if you don't have an NVidia card it'll say you don't NEED NVidia drivers. :P

But yeah, install Catalyst Control Center (it's not a driver, but it comes with one). It's quite a decent tool for tweaking your video card's settings, too.
  • edited March 2009
    DaVince wrote: »
    Correct, if you don't have an NVidia card it'll say you don't NEED NVidia drivers. :P

But yeah, install Catalyst Control Center (it's not a driver, but it comes with one). It's quite a decent tool for tweaking your video card's settings, too.
    I downloaded this, and do I need to do anything on that? Or should it fix the problem automatically?
  • edited March 2009
    fred1712 wrote: »
    Is it just MY computer, or does everybody else have this problem: Things like: The Machine gromit was playing chess with, and the car, are all almost invisible, there are little chopped up parts of it, but not the whole thing...my computers not terrible, but its not high-tech. but I REALLY want the preorder deal!

Hi, same problem here.

Here is my hardware configuration, I hope it helps:

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON 9250
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9250 AGP (0x5960)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB

The following screenshot comes from the "preview" but the bug shows up during the game as well. Lowering the graphic quality does not help:

wgbug2.th.jpg

P.S.
    This is the first time that i have problems with Telltale's 3D engine. S&M games work flawlessly on my PC.
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, that is definitely ugly. Unfortunately, the graphics engine for WG is drastically different from any of our previous games, so it's hard to compare the two. Lowlevel, are you on the latest drivers?
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Hmm, that is definitely ugly. Unfortunately, the graphics engine for WG is drastically different from any of our previous games, so it's hard to compare the two. Lowlevel, are you on the latest drivers?

Yes, I'm.

I really tried everything... tweaking the settings with the Catalist Control Center, reducing the quality with the in-game control panel...

Although my graphic card is quite old, this is the first time that I have experimented problems of this magnitude.

Tell me if there is anything I can do to help.
    edited March 2009
    The graphics guys are looking into it, but in the meantime, could you try using Omega's version of the drivers?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Lowlevel wrote: »
    The following screenshot comes from the "preview" but the bug shows up during the game as well.

I'm a programmer and not a tech support guy... but from the screenshot it looks like your graphics card is overheating and your VRAM is getting corrupted.

There's a free program out there called SpeedFan that will monitor the temperature of your graphic card and other internals. You might consider installing it and seeing if W&G is causing your computer to run too hot.
  • edited March 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    There's a free program out there called SpeedFan that will monitor the temperature of your graphic card and other internals.

Hi Yare, thanks for your advice. I already have SpeedFan installed and the utility doesn't detect any anomaly; the temperature is not too high.
    Will wrote:
    The graphics guys are looking into it, but in the meantime, could you try using Omega's version of the drivers?

I just tried them and the graphics problem is still there. :(
    edited March 2009
    Ok, well Carlo our graphics guy is looking into it, but at the moment I'm out of ideas I'm afraid.
  • edited March 2009
    Lowlevel wrote: »
    Hi, same problem here.

Here is my hardware configuration, I hope it helps:

Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM

Card name: RADEON 9250
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9250 AGP (0x5960)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB

The following screenshot comes from the "preview" but the bug shows up during the game as well. Lowering the graphic quality does not help:

wgbug2.th.jpg

P.S.
    This is the first time that i have problems with Telltale's 3D engine. S&M games work flawlessly on my PC.
    Sam and max AND strong bad work flawlessly, we have the exact same problems.
  • edited March 2009
    A quick follow-up: I just installed and launched "Video Memory stress Test 1.7.116" and my VRAM passed the memory test.
  • edited March 2009
    Downloaded and played the demo, it worked OK, but I had to dial the graphics down to 1 to avoid too many weird artifacts... I'm used to seeing these on occasion in S&M and SBCG4AP too, but I was hoping they'd be gone eventually.

I notice the System Requirements page lists Directx 9.1. I've got 9.0c and yet I couldn't seem to find a legitimate (Microsoft) Download site for 9.1.... can anyone direct me to the right page?
    edited March 2009
    Erm, our page says 9.1? Because Dx9.1 doesn't even exist.
  • edited March 2009
    Yep, on http://www.telltalegames.com/store/wallaceandgromitsgrandadventures
    under System Requirements.
    System Requirements:

Operating system: Windows XP / Vista
    Processor: 2.0 GHz or better (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB recommended)
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB recommended)
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    DirectX®: Version 9.1 or better

Good to know I'm not going crazy :)

Still... I was hoping a DirectX upgrade would get of the ridiculous pipe coming out of Wallace's head... (you know, one of those weird "long line" things that happens occasionally... I've seen it sometimes in other TTG products, but it's distracting rather than terrible... In Portal, sometimes the graphics errors were so bad I had to quit and restart the game just because otherwise I couldn't see what I was doing!)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    Still... I was hoping a DirectX upgrade would get of the ridiculous pipe coming out of Wallace's head...

If you get random long triangles and spikes coming off meshes in the games you play it really does sound like your computer is overheating.
  • edited March 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    If you get random long triangles and spikes coming off meshes in the games you play it really does sound like your computer is overheating.

Yeah, you're probably right. It all started when I played Portal last year, I think it's killed my video card. Might be time to get a new one...
  • edited March 2009
    I'm having this problem too... I did some updates and it didn't help... here is my driver information:
    Machine name: USER-737A973129
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Latitude D600
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A16
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 284MB used, 964MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

I want to play this game so badly!
    edited March 2009
    Hey Max, what kind of video card do you have? I think you mentioned somewhere else, but I'm blind.
  • edited March 2009
    For what it's worth, Google pegs the integrated graphics as "ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 AGP 4x"; I'm not certain that will have the psychotic strength needed to ring the bell. :)
  • edited March 2009
    How do I find out what my graphics card is?
  • edited March 2009
    I'll quote myself from a different thread:
    Quanta wrote: »
    I'm not from Telltale, but it would be really helpful to tell them what graphics card/chip you have and if you use a recent driver.

If you don't know and don't know how to find out:
    Click with the right mouse button on the desktop and choose 'properties'.
    In the new window choose the 'settings' tab. There you click on 'advanced'.
    In the new window choose the 'graphics card' tab. There you can read the name of your card. Click on 'properties' and choose the 'driver' tab in the new window. There you see the 'driver version'.

Some of the terms may not be the precise ones of your windows. I'm using Win XP in german and just translated them.
  • edited March 2009
    It's a mobility radeon 9000
  • edited March 2009
    ack! it's the eve of the premiere!!
  • edited March 2009
    my graphic card is a mobility radeon 9000.
  • edited March 2009
    I found out that the latest driver supporting the 'Mobility Radeon 9000' is the Catalyst Mobility 6.5. It's from May 2006 apparently, but the most recent for your product. If you don't have it installed already, give it a shot.

EDIT:
    You can download it here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/ATI/ATI-Catalyst-for-Mobility-65.shtml
  • edited June 2009
    I am experiencing the same graphic issues as fred1712. I also have a Radeon 9250 card so I am assuming this is an issue related to that particular graphic card. All drivers are up to date and I've tested my graphic card to know that it's not overheating. I know it's not the fanciest graphic card, but I haven't had any problems running Telltale games (or any other games) on it before.

The game itself plays fine, though, it just looks ugly in spots because of the graphic issues (e.g. the toaster is invisible but I can see the toast popping out of it).
This discussion has been closed.