Sir Richard Attenborough has died at 90

edited August 2014 in Jurassic Park

I posted this here because he was in the film He was one of the great actors of our time RIP

Lord Attenborough began his carer as an actor in the early 1940s, making his first screen appearance in In Which We Serve in 1942, and five years later had his career breakthrough in Brighton Rock.

His career blossomed in the 1950s and beyond, as he became a fixture of the cinema with roles in The Great Escape, Doctor Dolittle and Ten Little Indians.

Lord Attenborough also gained acclaim for playing Kris Kringle in the 1994 remake of Miracle on 34th Street, and for portraying bioengineering magnate John Hammond in the Jurassic Park series.

His work as a director began with Oh! What a Lovely War in 1969 and Young Winston in 1972.

Gandhi earned Lord Attenborough two Academy Awards - for Best Picture and Best Director - in 1983.

Alt text

His other high-profile directorial credits include A Bridge Too Far, Cry Freedom, A Chorus Line and the biopic Chaplin.

Lord Attenborough also served as the fourth president of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts from 2002 to 2009.

The BAFTA organization said of his passing: "Lord Attenborough occupies a special place in the hearts of so many and will be missed enormously. Our thoughts are with his family, to whom we offer our deepest sympathy at this sad and difficult time."

The BFI has released a statement as well, writing: "The world has lost a very, very special person. Dickie was multi-talented as an actor, producer and world-class film director, but he was also a warm, compassionate and empathetic man and a friend to all those who met him.

"He loved the art and culture of film and was a tremendous advocate for every part of it, not least for the BFI where he was chair for 13 years, as well as for the British film industry, playing a major part in enabling it to attain and hold the position it has today as a world-leader.

"His support for individuals whether they were starting out in the industry or accomplished professionals such as himself, knew no bounds and his legacy will continue to be an inspiration for generations to come. We are all saddened."

Prime Minister David Cameron paid tribute to Lord Attenborough's life and legacy on Twitter, writing: "His acting in Brighton Rock was brilliant, his directing of Gandhi was stunning - Richard Attenborough was one of the greats of cinema."

Jurassic Park director Steven Spielberg added: "Dickie Attenborough was passionate about everything in his life - family, friends, country and career.

"He made a gift to the world with his emotional epic Gandhi and he was the perfect ringmaster to bring the dinosaurs back to life as John Hammond in Jurassic Park.

"He was a dear friend and I am standing in an endless line of those who completely adored him."

Attenborough is survived by his wife of 69 years Sheila Sim, their children and his brother Sir David Attenborough.

Comments

• Damn, He was a great Actor and Director, RIP

• edited September 2014

R.I.P

I hope he will from now on stand in front of the heaven gate, and to everyone who enters, he will say:

'My dear name, welcome...to heaven.'

Sign in to comment in this discussion.