337MB download, 335MB install?

edited April 2009 in Wallace & Gromit
Did anybody else find this a little strange? Did TellTale master the concept of reverse compression?

Talk about breaking boundaries.

Comments

• edited March 2009
    My set up for the game is 336MB. :confused:
  • edited March 2009
    Krodge wrote: »
    Did anybody else find this a little strange? Did TellTale master the concept of reverse compression?

Talk about breaking boundaries.

I don't think you need the installer itself to play the game ;)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    I tjink it's because the installer contains some textures for signs and things in all of the subtitled languages, but it only installs the ones you need.
  • edited March 2009
    I think it contains the directX installer. Not the whole redist package, but the small version, that downloads needed components from the internet.
  • edited March 2009
    Yah Jake's explanation makes sense. I couldn't imagine the DirectX app takes 1-2 megs since all it does is scan your current DirectX configuration and download missing components.

I was just under the impression the installers were compressed. Is it my imagination, or was general compression more effective in the days of 3.5" floppy disks? Nothing ever seems to be very compressed anymore.
  • edited March 2009
    The DirectX web installer is only about 300KB if I download it from Microsoft, so I don't think that's it.

The game executable and DLLs are about 17 MB; the rest is data files distributed in pack files, which presumably are already compressed and hence cannot be compressed further. Add to that the installer program itself which takes up some space, and it makes sense that the installer package is about the same size or larger than the game.
    Jake wrote: »
    I think it's because the installer contains some textures for signs and things in all of the subtitled languages, but it only installs the ones you need.
    That would make sense, except that the game did install localized pack files even though I installed the English version. So I suspect the game always installs all data regardless of language setting.
  • edited March 2009
    Krodge wrote: »
    Is it my imagination, or was general compression more effective in the days of 3.5" floppy disks? Nothing ever seems to be very compressed anymore.

You will probably find that a lot more data runs directly from its compressed state these days. For example, an MP3 is a compressed audio file, but you don't have to decompress it before you run it in a player. So an MP3 will get a much lower compression ratio than raw audio data.
  • edited April 2009
    You have a good point there Shmeh. Believe me I'm slapping my forehead and feeling old right about now.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.