BSOD and graphics issues

edited April 2009 in Game Support
I'm having some weird issues with the game that are preventing me from playing it. I can get into the title screen just fine, but once I click the tutorial and it starts up the 3d rendering, things go south in a hurry. Sometimes it goes to the tutorial, which only renders Wallace, Gromit, the robot, the chessboard, and other interactable objects- Wallace makes reference to being in the dining room, but they appear to be outside, as all the background there is is a prop in the back.

After a minute or so of this, I go to a weird BSOD where the text is broken up and scattered in bits and pixels around the screen in an odd pattern. Usually I don't get the aforementioned errors and go straight to the BSOD.

I've updated all my drivers, and I continue to have this issue. My specs:

1.73 GHz processor
2GB RAM
Radeon X300 Mobility (128 MB video RAM)

I'm skeptical of the idea that this is a hardware issue, since it runs Sam and Max Season 1 just fine.

Comments

• [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    BSOD is (almost) always a driver or hardware failure.
  • edited March 2009
    But why would this happen specifically in Wallace and Gromit, and not, say, World of Warcraft, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, or even Sam and Max?
    edited March 2009
    But why would this happen specifically in Wallace and Gromit, and not, say, World of Warcraft, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, or even Sam and Max?

It's certainly not very intuitive, is it? But different games ask your graphics driver to do different combinations of things. Every renderer is different!
  • edited March 2009
    I had the same problem except I didn't get the BSOD. When you get to the title screen, go to settings and then to Graphics Settings and set the graphics to 3 (mine was on 5). Once I did that I was able to play the game fine.
  • edited March 2009
    Same thing here. I played the demo just fine (the graphics settings had been set to 4 then for some reason), but when I started up the game proper it got through the whole first cut scene without any of the dining room visible. All I saw were the titles and credits, the honey pot and spout and Gromit and Wallace hovering in limbo in West Wallaby street. I set the graphics setting down to 3 from 5 and Presto! The dining room popped up. And I played Sam and Max season two on this same machine, no problems. Weird.
  • edited March 2009
    The exact same thing happened to me as well, Lena p
    edited March 2009
    What's the message you get on your BSoD? It usually lists which driver DLL died somewhere in the message.
  • edited April 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    What's the message you get on your BSoD? It usually lists which driver DLL died somewhere in the message.

Usually the BSOD is scrambled; the white text is broken up into little strips of pixels all over the screen. Other times, it's just plain blue.
  • edited April 2009
    Just updating to note that Lena P's suggestion of setting the graphics to 3 fixed my problem; the game runs smashingly now!
This discussion has been closed.