NOOOO! Cant play wallace and Gromit!!!

edited March 2009 in Game Support
I am able to play the W&G demo, at first it froze up and didnt work, so i retryed and it worked perfectly, but the full game is having a boxing fight with my computer, I am able to get past the intro movie, but after controlling gromit for about 0.000000000001 seconds the game gets "DLL Error" "The Game must close".

I have encountered this problem in other games but they wouldve worked the second time I try, but for W&G Ive opened it 20 times but no dice.

Is there a way to fix this DLL Error without having to mod my computer more than a Wii, or having to cange computers, like a graphics upgrade or something?

Thank you in advance for responses,
Lachlan_is (human)

Comments

• edited March 2009
    I'm having the same problem: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8022

It works for me only if every time, at the beginning, I play the introduction, followed by the tutorial that I have to complete in order to gain access to saved games.

If I try to start the game or play the tutorial from the main menu, it crashes with a DX9 DLL error.
    Drats!
  • edited March 2009
    ZiglioNZ wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8022

It works for me only if every time, at the beginning, I play the introduction, followed by the tutorial that I have to complete in order to gain access to saved games.

If I try to start the game or play the tutorial from the main menu, it crashes with a DX9 DLL error.
    Drats!

Is there no room in this gaming world for primitive computer owners such as us?!?
  • edited March 2009
    Lachlan_is wrote: »
    Is there no room in this gaming world for primitive computer owners such as us?!?

he he, I don't know exactly what you mean. I've been playing graphic adventures since Zak McKraken and LSL1. But I've never had hardware fast enough for the current geneneration of games.
    I played Monkey Island 1 on an IBM laptop, weighing 7kg, with two 3.5''/720KB floppy drivers and with 640x200 (yep!) B&W CGA.
    What I also love about graphic adventures is that they're still enjoyable even on an old computer.
    Well, until: Wallace&Gromit 1 :-/
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2009
    Hey Lach, what kind of video card do you have? Have you tried updating the drivers?
  • edited March 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Lach, what kind of video card do you have? Have you tried updating the drivers?

I dont know, its pretty old, I can do some investigationing, and how do update the drivers? is that manual or can i do it via software of some sort
    edited March 2009
    To update the drivers, we first need to figure out what kind of video card you have.

Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
  • edited March 2009
    To update the drivers, we first need to figure out what kind of video card you have.

Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:

Name: SiS 661FX
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz
    Main Driver: SiSGRV.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.3611 (English)
    Date: 10/8/2004 11:08:16

Thanks for reading
  • edited March 2009
    SO... do I need to replace my graphics card or something? and if I do, can you reccomend a card that will give wallace and gromit a crystal clear image, cause with sam and max season 2 and sbcg4ap ive had lots of... whats the name......... image graphics problems I think its called, so the gameplay is fine but the images in the background, the walls and the characters themselves had terrible imagery with the images jumping alot
  • edited March 2009
    I need to keep this post alive! Clear...... Charging.... CLEAR!!!
  • edited March 2009
    Telltale support doesn't work weekends. I'm sure they'll get to this thread again ASAP on Monday. Chill. :)
  • edited March 2009
    .... cant let this thread die.....
  • edited March 2009
    Before considering a new graphics card, try a driver update first.

Go to www.sis.com/download/. There you agree that you want to use their drivers. You will then come to the download center where you first choose your operating system. As second step choose "IGP Graphics Drivers" and finally choose "SiS66x/SiS76x & Sis67x".

Click on "Go" and on the new page you can download the latest driver for your integrated graphics.

Install it and hope for the best. ;)

PS: Your current driver is from 2004 which is a joke to be honest. :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2009
    What you could also try is re-installing DirectX. Go to this link and get the latest DirectX Redist: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=886acb56-c91a-4a8e-8bb8-9f20f1244a8e
    Simply download, install and restart your computer. It did fix the problems I had with the game, it might help you too :D
    edited March 2009
    What Quanta and S3 said. We do actually do support on the weekends, it was just that there was a miscommunication this weekend.
  • edited March 2009
    S3BR4 wrote: »
    What you could also try is re-installing DirectX. Go to this link and get the latest DirectX Redist: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=886acb56-c91a-4a8e-8bb8-9f20f1244a8e
    Simply download, install and restart your computer. It did fix the problems I had with the game, it might help you too :D

Okay, I'll try, although, when I downloaded it asked me to check for the latest direct x
    Quanta wrote: »
    Before considering a new graphics card, try a driver update first.

Go to www.sis.com/download/. There you agree that you want to use their drivers. You will then come to the download center where you first choose your operating system. As second step choose "IGP Graphics Drivers" and finally choose "SiS66x/SiS76x & Sis67x".

Click on "Go" and on the new page you can download the latest driver for your integrated graphics.

Install it and hope for the best. ;)

PS: Your current driver is from 2004 which is a joke to be honest. :rolleyes:

Okay I'll try that, and if I can't do it, do you know a graphics card that will do crystal clear?

P.S I know, right
  • edited March 2009
    Okay I'll try that, and if I can't do it, do you know a graphics card that will do crystal clear?

Well, any suggestion depends on how much you want to spend and what other applications/games you run which would profit from an upgrade. W&G isn't demanding at all in comparison to many other games. So, if that game is the only or most demanding then a card around EUR 100 or even less is more than enough. nVidia GeForce 9600 GT / 9800 GT or ATi Radeon HD 4830 to name some.

A more powerful card is nonsensical anyways i guess, as it's likely that your CPU and memory are also too outdated to benefit much from it.
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I wouldn't suggest shopping for a new video card just yet.
  • edited March 2009
    Well, any suggestion depends on how much you want to spend and what other applications/games you run which would profit from an upgrade. W&G isn't demanding at all in comparison to many other games. So, if that game is the only or most demanding then a card around EUR 100 or even less is more than enough. nVidia GeForce 9600 GT / 9800 GT or ATi Radeon HD 4830 to name some.

A more powerful card is nonsensical anyways i guess, as it's likely that your CPU and memory are also too outdated to benefit much from it.

Well the only games I play on computer are telltale games games, World of Goo and... thats about it, but if it comes to video card updating I only need it for ttg games, most of my action goes on a wii :D

By the way, how much is a video card, 50 bucks or so? I wont spend over 80 as I only use it for ttg games, most of them are coming out on wii anyway, but I dont care, its worth it.
  • edited March 2009
    I installed the SiS update, I reconfigured the game settings, I did everything possible , and IT STILL DOESNT WORK!!!!! The only reason I could see is that the game is 64bit not 32bit, but I highly doubt it, I'll either have to change gaming computers or buy a new graphic card
    edited March 2009
    Hey Lachlan, I'm afraid you may just be out of luck. That's definitely an old video card and is below system requirements, but like I said earlier, I'm not sure it is worth buying a new video card if your entire computer is that old. You just wouldn't get any benefit out of it. If you write in to support@telltalegames.com, we can toss you a refund. Just tell them I sent you.
  • edited March 2009
    I have the same exact problem. I start the game, and this DLL error appears (found this topic by trying to google the problem).

I am a bit distraught! I really want to try this game out. The demo worked perfectly, but the actual game won't work.

For video card I'm using (I think...) ATI Radeon HD 4800 series.

This computer can run Left 4 Dead, and any other modern game at max settings with minimum to no lag time, I'm not entirely sure why it won't work on this! ):

Err... only I can't even get to the intro screen, this error just appears before the game can even appear.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Doubt this will help at all, but this is basically what happens when I try to get it working. The message just appears immediately http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMurpTy4v1A&feature=channel_page
    edited March 2009
    Hey Sonic, your best bet is to update your graphics drivers and your DirectX
  • edited March 2009
    a refund? then I wont have any refun! *sigh*, It looks like I'm gonna have to wait until either I get a new computer or it comes out on wii.
    Will, I have two questions, about how much is a video card, like generally?
    And if I did get the refund, would I be refunded for the whole price, or for the 26 dollar deal (i got the pre-order 26 dollar deal), cause if I got a new computer/card and bought wallace and gromit again it would be more expensive, eh?

How current does a computer have to be to meet these requirements? Mines about 2002, but when playing it on 2007 laptops and such I get the same results, is it a coincidence or one big coverup?!?
  • edited March 2009
    Lachlan, you seem to be the guy who rather buys a new pre-configured computer in a store, rather than fiddling with the hardware of your current one.

It's not very helpful to buy a new graphics card and put it into a computer from the ancient world (aka 2002 and before).
    How current does a computer have to be to meet these requirements? Mines about 2002, but when playing it on 2007 laptops and such I get the same results, is it a coincidence or one big coverup?!?
    What result exactly? Graphical glitches or error message (DX9 DLL)? Do all machines you tested it on have the latest DirectX and up to date drivers?
  • edited March 2009
    Lachlan, you seem to be the guy who rather buys a new pre-configured computer in a store, rather than fiddling with the hardware of your current one.

It's not very helpful to buy a new graphics card and put it into a computer from the ancient world (aka 2002 and before).

What result exactly? Graphical glitches or error message (DX9 DLL)? Do all machines you tested it on have the latest DirectX and up to date drivers?

Both, graphical glitches with sam and max and sbg4ap and dll for W&G
    And it does have the latest direct x

I'll get a new computer soon anyway
  • edited March 2009
    Oh, and as for updating the drivers, I can't do that on the laptops as I'm not trusted with computers ;)
  • edited March 2009
    Hey Sonic, your best bet is to update your graphics drivers and your DirectX

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I just tried updating Directx and the video driver.

This has yielded no different results. The same message appears as soon as I try to start the game. What a bummer :(
  • edited March 2009
    Whoops! Tried to post, and it didn't appear. Sorry if this appears as a double post.

Will, thank you for taking the time to respond. I just reinstalled directx, and updated my video driver, and the same exact problem occurs. Not really sure what else to try :(
  • edited March 2009
    sonic_13 wrote: »
    Whoops! Tried to post, and it didn't appear. Sorry if this appears as a double post.

Will, thank you for taking the time to respond. I just reinstalled directx, and updated my video driver, and the same exact problem occurs. Not really sure what else to try :(

How old is your computer? Like 4 or 5 years?
    edited March 2009
    Hey Sonic, could you try going to this thread, grab the first file and follow the steps.

Your video card should be able to handle the game just fine, but something weird might be happening.
  • edited March 2009
    Hey Sonic, could you try going to this thread, grab the first file and follow the steps.

Your video card should be able to handle the game just fine, but something weird might be happening.

Perfect!

It works now, thank you very much :)
  • edited March 2009

Would that link work for me?
  • edited March 2009
    The intagrated graphic cards usually suck... sorry mate, but really that's a fact. Manufacturers don't really keep these cards up to date with new drivers, therefore graphical glitches are a common thing. You can buy some kind of used agp video card like geforce 4 ti 4200 or radeon 9600 series. They are quite cheap, and there's no need to buy a more powerful card, 'cause chances are your other computer parts are outdated as well. Such a card won't cost you more than 30$
  • edited March 2009
    Noted, thanks barnaby, I wonder whether I can put that on my school supplies rebate :)

Edit: Oh wait you mean american dollars right? thats a bit more expensive :eek:
This discussion has been closed.