loading new areas make the game slower

edited October 2006 in Game Support
I played the game on my PC flawlessly (except for one crash).

I played the game on my 1 year old laptop and eveytime I go to a new location, the game got slower and slower. Eventually it got so sluggish that it became unplayable and that my system warned me that I am low on virtual memory (which never happened on my laptop before).

I do not neccessarily want to assume "correlation implies causation" that:
Playing the game, low virtual memory warning.
Playing the game caused the low virtual memory warning

However:

What I noticed about playing the game on both systems is that when I entered a new area, the game takes about 15-20 seconds on average to load the new location. When I backtrack to previously visited areas, the load times drop significantly, if not instantaneously.

Do all loaded areas load from the hard drive to memory and remain in memory until I quit the game? If so, I guess the simple solution is quit and reload when the game becomes sluggish.

Perhaps I should increase my virtual memory (I think recomended is 1.5 times the amount of RAM in the system).

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    Do you have any programs running in the background while you're playing (besides GameTap)? Antivirus, IM software, etc? If so, you should turn these off.

EDIT: I checked around, and it turns out that when this happens, quitting and starting up again is the way to fix it.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks Emily

By the way, on my laptop, where I experience the problem, I only have the background programs that are there from startup running.

Am I on the track when I asked:
    Do all loaded areas load from the hard drive to memory and remain in memory until I quit the game?
This discussion has been closed.