Wallace and Gromit shuts down at beginning of game

edited July 2009 in Game Support
I can watch the opening sequence, but when the game itself begins, the game shuts down without warning after a few seconds. :(

I run it in Windows XP. Graphics set to 1. On an older IBM Thinkpad laptop.

How can I fix this? Anyone? :o

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2009
    You might want to write in to support@telltalegames.com. It's the weekend so there aren't a ton of folks around, but someone there will try to help you out as soon as they're able.
  • edited April 2009
    meretchen wrote: »
    I can watch the opening sequence, but when the game itself begins, the game shuts down without warning after a few seconds. :(

I run it in Windows XP. Graphics set to 1. On an older IBM Thinkpad laptop.

How can I fix this? Anyone? :o

Hi, with my old laptop I experience the same.
    But I can successfully start the game if I always play the demo/introduction first. I can also load the automatically saved game after that.

My theory is that some graphics elements are loaded in a different order or settings are applied in a different way when playing the introduction so that the DLL crash is avoided.
  • edited April 2009
    ZiglioNZ wrote: »
    Hi, with my old laptop I experience the same.
    But I can successfully start the game if I always play the demo/introduction first. I can also load the automatically saved game after that.

Do you mean the "Tutorial"? Because that does nothing for me. :(
  • edited April 2009
    Do you mean the "Tutorial"? Because that does nothing for me. :(

Ok, in order to play for the very first time, it works for me if I play things in this order:
    1 - intro (the animated sequence)
    2 - tutorial

Next time, when I launch 'fright of the bumblebees' and there's an automatic saved game to load, I have to do:
    1 - play intro
    2 - load automatically saved game

Hope that'll work for you too
  • edited May 2009
    ZiglioNZ wrote: »
    Ok, in order to play for the very first time, it works for me if I play things in this order:
    1 - intro (the animated sequence)
    2 - tutorial

Next time, when I launch 'fright of the bumblebees' and there's an automatic saved game to load, I have to do:
    1 - play intro
    2 - load automatically saved game

Hope that'll work for you too

No, it didn't work. :(
  • edited May 2009
    No, it didn't work. :(

rats! :cool:
  • edited May 2009
    @meretchen What are your laptop specs? Video Card, CPU speed, RAM?
  • edited May 2009
    @meretchen What are your laptop specs? Video Card, CPU speed, RAM?

I run it in Platform: Win XP
    Graphics set to 1.

PC: IBM ThinkPad R51

PC specs:
    Processor: Intel Pentium M
    Processor clock speed 1500 MHz
    Processor front side bus 400 MHz

Disk drive
    Hard disk drive type
    ATA-100 (Enhanced IDE)
    Total storage capacity
    40 GB

Display: XGA TFT
    Contrast ratio (typical) 750:1
    Display resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels

Memory
    Internal memory: 1.2 GB

Video
    Graphic adapter
    Intel Extreme Graphics 2
    Video adapter resolution
    2048x1536 65536 colors
    Video adapter, bus
    Direct AGP

Audio
    Audio system: SoundMAX
  • edited June 2009
    hi - i have the same set up (ibm thinkpad r51) and have exactly the same problem - does anyone have an update?
  • edited June 2009
    I am having this same problem. Did you guys ever get a solution?
  • edited June 2009
    I have both Episodes of Sam and Max and they all run fine. I have a radeon 7200 video card. This is my free game that I received from pre-ordering Monkey Island and I am nervous that I will have the same issue when it comes out. If anyone can help me out that would be great.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2009
    I think some of these questions were answered in support emails. So first of all, if for some unfortunate reason we can't get Monkey working for you, we will of course be happy to provide a full refund. In the meantime though, let's see if you can get Wallace working.

First and foremost, I would suggest turning down your graphics settings as low as they can go then updating your graphics drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

and your DirectX: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
  • edited June 2009
    I have done those things. Half of the time when I try to launch the game, the menu with the W&G picture appears but no buttons to press and I will get an Internet Explorer script error. The other half the time, no W&G picture will come up, but there will be launch game button available. When I can finally launch the game, I can get through the intro, but right when I am about to control, I get a crash. "DDL has encountered a problem and needs to close..."
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, well the IE script error changes things a bit. Let's try this:

To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited June 2009
    The script error did not occur after those steps were followed, there was a launch button on the menu, but no art (except on the side there was a promo for the realease of Monkey Island). But I am still getting booted out of the game at the exact same spot, right before I am to play. It is actually quite frustrating.
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, well I'm afraid the 7200 may just be a bit too old to run WG. If you write in to support (support@telltalegames.com), we should be able to set you up with a replacement free game. And then when Monkey comes out if that doesn't work for you we will deal with it then. Or you can just cancel and refund everything now if you would prefer.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi,

I also have this problem, with an R51 thinkpad (1.5GHz) and intel integrated graphics. Interestingly, my slower vaio tx notebook (1.2GHz), also with integrate inetl graphics, doesn't have this problem. Any progress on solving this for the r51 with intel card? (updated to most recent drivers, windows update and sp3 and no change... 8-( )

Thanks,
    Martin
    edited July 2009
    The problem with integrated cards in general and laptops specifically is that they usually have terrible driver support. You might have an older intel graphics card on an older laptop, but your new laptop may have some crazy power-throttling stuff built into the driver. Or simply bad drivers.

Pretty much when they are making those drivers, they are assuming that 90% of their users will use the laptop for spreadsheets, simple web browsing, and occasionally a game of solitaire if they are feeling frisky.
This discussion has been closed.