[W&G] Episodes no longer start

edited May 2009 in Game Support
Loved the first episode. Downloaded the second episode and installed it as soon as I got the email. Went to play the new episode and found that neither of the W&G episodes will start. When I try to open the launcher, the WallaceGrommit10X.exe process runs for about 10-20 seconds and exits without any output. The launcher never appears, I never get a chance to activate my download.

I have reinstalled several times, both after uninstalling and on top of; with several downloads of the files. I have attempted running W&G 102 after a clean boot with no change in behavior. I have even tried installing it in a clean boot, again with no change.

System information:
WinXP Pro SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
3.25 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7650 GT 512 MB
- Nvidia driver 6.14.11.7813
- DirectX 9.0c

2 displays:
- Samsung SyncMaster 245BW @ 1921x1200
- Sony SDM-HX93 @ 1280x1024

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Can you think of anything you've installed since the last episode? The more programs you can turn off the better. Assuming that you've done everything you can along those lines, let's try reinstalling your drivers. You can find the latest here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_182.50_whql.html
  • edited May 2009
    Same problem here. The episode executable runs momentarily but closes off (without changing the resolution, no sound, etc). I'm using Steam. Nothing's really changed since the last episode -- but neither of them run. I tried updating the video drivers and trying again -- no change. I also validated the files using Steam.

System Information
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0605&SUBSYS_C9733842&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.8250 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    edited May 2009
    Hey Graham, could you try running after a clean boot?

To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited May 2009
    I don't see why I should have to. I'm not going to disable everything every time I want to run the game. All my other games run fine. Not to mention I've already disabled all of the services/start up items I don't think are necessary.

Wouldn't it be more useful if you guys tried to collect information on exactly what is preventing the game from running? You know, actually collect lists of start up items/services/etc and try to find something in common.

Maybe you could tell me how to enable an error log or something?

I'm not going to reboot 50 times to try and find out for you.

EDIT: I should also note that the Sam & Max games no longer work, either. Season 1 Episodes exit with the "This Program has encountered an error" dialogue three times, while Season 2 behaves the same way as W&G.
  • edited May 2009
    Well, I reinstalled Windows (system was getting crusty anyways) and W&G works as expected. Only things I can think of that I installed between the first W&G episode and the second were a couple Big Fish and PlayFirst games. Sorry I can't point at anything more concrete.
    edited May 2009
    Hey Delta, sorry you had to go through all of that! But at least you got it working again.

Graham: the clean boot isn't meant to be a permanent solution by any means. If the game runs after a full clean boot, that means that one of your programs is interfering and we can start whittling away at them until we figure out which one is the culprit. If it doesn't run, then we are barking up the wrong tree and have to try a completely different solution.
  • edited May 2009
    Any word/ideas on this?

I ended up playing through on my laptop. Aw well.

I also grabbed Telltale Texas Holdem' while you were giving it out and it launches to a black screen on this computer (stays that way forever, you can alt-tab out or exit with alt-f4), if that's useful at all.
    edited May 2009
    Unfortunately, there is no debug output or error log or anything to turn on. The only real way to track down problems like this is through trial and error and experience.

I'd say about 50% of the time in cases like this, DirectX is the culprit (but that's less common now that we are running the DX updater on install), about 40% of the time it's a driver issue, and about 10% of the time it's another program interfering with the game.

Of that 10%, I've never really seen the same program come up twice. Sometimes it's anti-virus software, sometimes it's a cd burning program, sometimes it's something that's trying to actively use DX while you are trying to run the game, and sometimes it's just crufty old windows, like with Deltageek. It's pretty much just a crap shoot.
This discussion has been closed.