W&G - Ep 2 - Not launching correctly (Steam)

edited June 2009 in Game Support
When I attempt to launch Ep2 on steam roughly 1/4 of the screen turns white. I waited about 10 minutes hoping that it would launch but it didn't.

During that time I heard music playing which I assume to be the main menu. I started it again a few times but nothing happened. Just so you know Episode 1 worked perfectly, as has the other Telltale games that I received when I bought the W&G season.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Hey Wakacha, once you have the game opened up, try hitting alt+Enter. That should take the game out of full-screen and hopefully fix the problem. If not, please let me know.
  • edited May 2009
    I've just tried what you said, but unfortunately the window remains white. The game has definitely loaded up, I was randomly clicking and managed to start the game. For some reason there just isn't a picture.
    edited May 2009
    Hmm, try unzipping this file to \My Documents\Telltale Games\wallace and gromit ep2. You will likely have to replace the prefs.prop that is currently there. Then try starting the game up.
  • edited May 2009
    I've replaced the file but it's still doing the same thing.
    edited May 2009
    Could you try deleting the game and redownloading?
  • edited May 2009
    I'll give it a try.
  • edited May 2009
    Deleted, redownloaded and it's still doing the same thing.

This is really getting annoying.:(
    edited May 2009
    Could you send me some information about your computer?

Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
  • edited May 2009
    I hope this is what your looking for.

Name: ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60hz)
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.6891 (English)
    Date: 01/12/2008 21:51:31
    edited May 2009
    That's what I needed, thanks! Also, I completely forgot to ask which operating system you are on, could you let me know?
  • edited May 2009
    Windows XP Home Edition SP3
    edited May 2009
  • edited May 2009
    I click on the link and I was instantly greeted with 'unauthorized download'. All that it shows following that are links for information about services and products.
    edited May 2009
    That's my fault. Apparently you can't link directly to the download, sorry! Anyway, try this URL: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/integrated_mce-xp.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.5.3.4.3.1&lang=English

The download you want is "Option 1"
  • edited May 2009
    I've installed it, but it's still doing the same thing!

I'm starting to get a feeling that there's not much left I can do.
    edited May 2009
    Well, we can still try a clean boot. It's unlikely, but it is at least worth a shot.

To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited May 2009
    Still nothing.

By any chance would there be something wrong with the game it self? Seeing as the first episode worked perfectly as has every other game.
    edited May 2009
    There have been a very small number of people who have one episode work and not the other. I'm thinking if it were something specific to the episode, it would be affecting more than this tiny handful. You may have to ask Steam for a refund at this point.
  • edited May 2009
    Well I greatly appreciate the help you've given me, pity it didn't work.

I'll contact steam and see what happens.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm having the exact same problem, but I'm not using Steam. If it helps, I have the same video card the original poster has -- a Radeon Xpress 200.

This card has given me grief with other games too, it never loads textures right in Team Fortress 2 for instance.

I had no problems running episode 1 of Wallace and Gromit though, nor the entirety of Season 2 of Sam and Max, so I thought I'd be fine just getting all the W&G episodes at once.
  • edited May 2009
    Card name: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5954)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5954&SUBSYS_2A26103C&REV_00
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 2/25/2009 17:41:10, 325120 bytes

Misc. information on my video card. I'm posting in this topic because I'm having the exact same problem rather than making a second one (further, nothing in this topic worked for me). Only difference is that I'm using the official launcher, not Steam.

Like the original poster, I have no problems with other Telltale games, including Fright of the Bumblebees. I do want to note that there were graphical anomalies the first time I ran FotBB, and the preview images had lots of torn images and blackspace, but the problem permanently resolved itself after I changed the graphical quality (literally, had nothing to do with the quality setting itself, just the act of doing so).
    edited May 2009
    Hey Midnight, would you try copying the prefs.prop from C:\Documents and Settings\Will Armstrong\My Documents\Telltale Games\Fright of the Bumblebees to The Last Resort?
  • edited May 2009
    It still gives me a white screen, unfortunately. Shame, I thought that might work too.
    edited May 2009
    Man, these Radeon xpress cards have been causing a lot of trouble recently. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? If you have and it still doesn't work, you can send an email to support@telltalegames.com and ask for a refund. Tell them I sent you.
  • edited May 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Man, these Radeon xpress cards have been causing a lot of trouble recently. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers? If you have and it still doesn't work, you can send an email to support@telltalegames.com and ask for a refund. Tell them I sent you.

Luckily, I found the game works fine on my laptop. I get some graphical glitches during cinematics (harmless texture blinking) if I run it in fullscreen instead of a window.

I'm also a big fan/supporter of Telltale Games, have been since Culture Shock, so I don't need a refund. :)
  • edited May 2009
    Still not working, even with the newly updated driver, the fact that Fright worked fine makes it even more annoying in a way :(
  • edited May 2009
    I've been battling with the same Steam error code for a few days. After a fair bit of fiddling, the problem in my case was a clash with the browser security component of Zone Alarm (ForceField). Frustratingly, turning ForceField off in the Zone Alarm user interface did nothing. To stop the programs clashing, I had to go to Start > Run, then "services.msc", stopping the service named "ForceField IswSvc". Hope this helps.....
  • edited June 2009
    I have the same problem (same card,) and I fixed it by uninstalling ATI Catalyst and all the updated drivers. Unfortunately, the Xpress doesn't support my monitor's wide screen resolution without the updated drivers.
This discussion has been closed.