W&G - Multiple saves

See title. Are they possible without shuffling files around manually? I always like to keep a couple so I can quickly go back and try other dialogue options and such, and I can't see how to do that in W&G.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Yes. On the save/load screen, select Bookmarks - these work like traditional saved games and you get three (or four?) of them.
  • edited May 2009
    You can indeed set four of these "bookmarks", but I wonder why the number is that limited. - If you want to save often to replay certain scenes individually later, you quickly run out of empty bookmarks. And an additional picture (screenshot) for the bookmark would be worth a thousand words...

I also wonder why it it is that complicated to save a game in W&G: Press ESC, then click "Your Game -> Bookmarks -> Bookmark X -> Save -> Yes (confirm overwrite) -> Cancel -> Resume." - That's 8 steps overall.

As a comparison: For Sam & Max the same action takes you 4 clicks only: "Open Menu -> Load/Save -> Save -> Close Menu"; and you do not even need the keyboard to get this done.
  • edited May 2009
    Wow, how did I miss that?

Thanks though. :)
  • edited May 2009
    if the opinion is that the saves are dificult to handle think of it from a videogame aspect, some file management on consoles are difficult, the will be released on the 360 soon.
  • edited May 2009
    jared25 wrote: »
    if the opinion is that the saves are dificult to handle think of it from a videogame aspect, some file management on consoles are difficult, the will be released on the 360 soon.
    As a customer I frankly do not care about the attempt to minimize the effort of converting the game to different platforms, but I want to see the best possible adaptation for the platform I buy the game for. - I really love the implementation of the user interface in Sam & Max (that was by the way also converted to a video console), where you need nothing else but to move the mouse and press the left mouse button for any action, so I consider Wallace & Gromit to be a step back in several aspects. - I know that others think differently and maybe I am just getting too old for this kind of "innovation", but if Telltale moves forward in this direction for future games, I will at least think twice before buying anything else from them.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    The original intent was to make the auto save so transparent that people wouldn't have to interrupt their play time to save the game all the time (think of how it works in CSI, where you never have to save your game at all), but we still wanted to include traditional saves for people who preferred that. We're aware that the execution is a little clunky. ;)
  • edited May 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    The original intent was to make the auto save so transparent that people wouldn't have to interrupt their play time to save the game all the time (think of how it works in CSI, where you never have to save your game at all), but we still wanted to include traditional saves for people who preferred that. We're aware that the execution is a little clunky. ;)
    The auto save idea is great, but I would like to suggest a little improvement (for future games): Why not have different auto saves, one that tracks the actual game (as implemented for W&G already), and one that saves the game at the beginning of each new act and does not get overwritten (similar to the bookmarks)? - Thereby you always have the latest status available (if you have to interrupt the session or the game crashes) and you could also replay your favorite act without having to start from the very beginning. - There are games from other companies where this concept is implemented already.

By the way, CSI is the only Telltale game I so not know, so I cannot comment on that.
  • edited May 2009
    ...one that saves the game at the beginning of each new act and does not get overwritten (similar to the bookmarks)? - Thereby you always have the latest status available (if you have to interrupt the session or the game crashes) and you could also replay your favorite act without having to start from the very beginning...
    I think this would be great, but maybe when we get to the start of an act we unlock that act to be skipped to at any time in a 'scene select' thingy.
  • edited May 2009
    Yellowtail wrote: »
    but maybe when we get to the start of an act we unlock that act to be skipped to at any time in a 'scene select' thingy.
    That would be another option. - The only disadvantage would be that every act must be 100% independent from the others.
    Example from "Fright of the Bumblebees":
    The tea bag in the kitchen can be taken either by Gromit in the first act or by Wallace in the second act. (In both cases it gets stolen by the squirrel.)
    So what would you do if you unlock a scene selection for "act 2"? Do you place this item at its original location or do you assume that Gromit has taken it already? - Therefore I think that individual "new act tags" would be a better solution.
  • edited May 2009
    there is no "save option.
  • edited May 2009
    johngall wrote: »
    there is no "save option.
    Yes there is. - It it just not called "save" but "bookmarks":
    While playing press ESC, then click "Your Game -> Bookmarks -> Bookmark X -> Save -> Cancel -> Resume." (X = 1 .. 4)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Yellowtail wrote: »
    I think this would be great, but maybe when we get to the start of an act we unlock that act to be skipped to at any time in a 'scene select' thingy.

I like this idea a lot. It gets sort of complicated with all of the game states we have to manage (compared to say, Half-Life 2), but it would be pretty neat.
  • edited May 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    It gets sort of complicated with all of the game states we have to manage
    That's why I suggested to just use "auto save bookmarks" instead (a different one for each act), which can be different for each player then.
  • edited May 2009
    OK,if I go to Esc,I cant select Your game. if I cant save games then whats the point in having it?
  • edited May 2009
    johngall wrote: »
    OK,if I go to Esc,I cant select Your game. if I cant save games then whats the point in having it?

Could you please be a bit more precise?
    If you press the ESC-key while playing, the option box gets displayed (unless a cut scene is shown), and the second menu item from the top is "Your Game". You first click on that entry, then click on "Bookmarks". Now you should see a new menu with 4 items labeled "Bookmark 1" to "Bookmark 4". Choose one of these entries, press "Save" to save your game, then "Cancel" to exit this menu and finally "Resume Game" (to continue playing) or "Exit Game" to leave the game. - I am not sure what exactly your problem is!?
  • ScottAlexanderScottAlexander Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Yo johngall,

Are you in the demo version of the game? If so, we don't allow saving in the demo, and Your Game should be grayed out. If you're in the full product and Your Game is grayed out, it means you're at a point in the game where saving is disabled for whatever reason.

Hope this helps you out!
  • edited June 2009
    My search of the forums only yielded this post concerning saved games so I hope this is not unrelated. Unfortunately, my PC died but I have access to the hard drive thru Windows Safe Mode. I want to save my W&G games so when I have to move to another PC, I can continue where I left off. I don't know where to find the saved games directory. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    ---greybeard
  • edited June 2009
    to find your saves (and preferences file) go to My Documents-->Telltale Games-->'episode name here'
  • edited June 2009
    Of course. I hate Vista. I was looking in AppData instead of Documents. My bad. Thanks for info.
    ---greybeard
  • edited June 2009
    Emily wrote: »
    The problem with the autosaves isn't that they happen, but that if you get a bug that freezes the screen in the Zoom view (which happened to me at the end of Episode 3, near the end of rescuing the dogs) the autosave is no good, because when you exit the bad bit goes into the autosave. And the bookmark save system is a bit awkward and I'd only tried it a couple of times near the beginning of the game, so had to start from the first scene and replay all the way through the fairground scene. It was a lot quicker once I knew the puzzle solutions, but still annoying.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.