W&G Last Resort: Can't Escape Dog Costume Screen

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Hopefully there will be some way to escape this insidious problem besides replaying the entire episode. I exited the game while in "dog-costuming" mode (with the close-up of the dog costume trunk). Now when I load the game, I can neither right-click to escape, nor select costume pieces to continue with the game. Can't move forward; can't move back. And when I exit the game again, it helpfully saves again, exactly where I'm stuck at.

What gives?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I know this does not help, but similar problems are also described here.
    Personally I had the opposite problem that I got out of a zoomed view somehow, but the notice to press the right mouse button to escape that view did not disappear. Later, I could not click on any object in the zoomed view any longer. This seems similar to a question in the "hints"-forum, where somebody cannot click anything in the zoomed news stand view. So it seems there is generally something buggy with switching back and forth between the standard and the zoomed views. :(
  • edited May 2009
    So if W&G doesn't allow you to save separate games ... and there are bugs within the game that will permanently stop you from proceding ... this means that if you exit in the wrong place, you will have to play the episode over from the beginning.

?!

I'm essentially a patient guy, but I'm playing with my five-year old, who was quite dismayed to find that we couldn't continue with our game yesterday.
  • edited May 2009
    serfmonkey wrote: »
    So if W&G doesn't allow you to save separate games ...
    You can save up to 4 games manually: See 2nd and 3rd posting of this thread.
    (This should not be an excuse for Telltale to have a closer look at the general problem with the "zoomed views" though.)
  • edited July 2009
    Just wanted to add that I experienced a similar problem. After selecting costume pieces before
    finding the sailor hats
    , Ms. Flitt told me that her dogs needed privacy. I left the room and returned (possibly doing other things in the meantime).

When I returned to the living room, I looked at the costume box again, and the costume items were selectable, but none of them elicited any responses, nor could I leave by right-clicking. I could leave the screen by manually walking Gromit using WASD, but on every future visit to the screen I couldn't select the costume box again. The three costume pieces I originally selected (fez, piece-nez glasses, and spiked collars) were selectable, but only made Gromit shake his head when I tried using them. Looks like it didn't exit properly from the costume selection screen the first time. Her dogs were in the costumes I picked out upstairs, by the way.

This happened in my first run of the game. I did not exit the game at any point until after I saw the bug. The bug persisted when I loaded the autosave when restarting the game. I'm not entirely sure what puzzles I had solved prior to that point, since I continued with the game hoping the living room screen would reset itself.

Using the Steam release build if that makes a difference. Looks like I'll have to restart. Haven't been making manual saves. :(
This discussion has been closed.