Steam Strong Bad (all episodes) Crash on start up

edited August 2010 in Game Support
I just purchased the Strong Bad Season 1 pack through steam. It has successfully downloaded all episodes. When I attempt to run any of them, the game begins to load (e.g. the screen flickers, presumably from a resolution change) and a few short seconds later, crashes tossing out the following:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Homestar101.exe
Application Version: 2008.7.31.11017
Application Timestamp: 48922878
Fault Module Name: Homestar101.exe
Fault Module Version: 2008.7.31.11017
Fault Module Timestamp: 48922878
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001cf478
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

I have reinstalled, restarted and updated DirectX. I'm running an ATI X1950 card on Vista 32, 3.2 gHz Pentium 4, using an onboard Intel sound card. I'm also running in 32bit depth color.

I have downloaded a demo episode and attempted to play that as well, but as soon as I click "play the demo," the exact same issue arises. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Have you tried updating your video card drivers? The latest for your card should be located here: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-3_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe
  • edited May 2009
    I have all of the games and have played them but now, I'm having the same problem. Everytime I launch Episode 5, it crashes. I've tried reinstalling, re-downloading and updating DirectX, but nothing works. The only message I get is that it is no longer working. I'm running Vista 32.
  • ScottAlexanderScottAlexander Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Hey Death, when you uninstalled your various episodes, did you elect to delete your saves and everything as well?
  • edited May 2009
    I did the first few times, then tried deleting them and still have the same problem.
  • ScottAlexanderScottAlexander Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Here is a preferences file for you. This is a "hopefully this works" situation. Help me Prefe-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Just unzip the file and drop the prefs.prop into this directory, then boot the title. It should have every graphics setting at the lowest level and hopefully it will work!

\Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 1 - Homestar Ruiner

Good luck!
  • edited May 2009
    That seemed to do the trick. Thanks.:)
  • edited May 2009
    Spoke too soon. It's crashing again. I don't understand why I'm having this problem all of a sudden. I played through both seasons of Sam & Max and the first four episodes of Strong Bad. I was actually almost done with Episode 5 when this happened.:confused:
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Where is it crashing now? Did you change any of your settings after dropping in the prefs.prop?
  • edited May 2009
    I tried it again and the game worked. But then I tried to load it again, and it crashes. I haveen't changed any settings but I have a save file that I saved and than imported once the game was fine. That's probably what is causing my current proble. I'll probably have to restart the game from the beginning.
  • edited August 2010
    I tried unzipping the file you gave, but windows is calling it "invalid or corrupt".
    could you post it again?
  • edited August 2010
    Elsonine wrote: »
    I tried unzipping the file you gave, but windows is calling it "invalid or corrupt".
    could you post it again?

I just downloaded and extracted it; it's fine. You may have to redownload it or use something other than the built-in Windows ZIP extractor.

Also, if you're using the Steam version of SBCG4AP, shouldn't you be putting your prefs.prop files in (for example) "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\homestar ruiner"?
This discussion has been closed.