Who do you think is funnier?

edited May 2009 in Sam & Max
Who do you think is funnier? Sam with his witty dialog, long words and pop culture refrences, or Max, with his just plain craziness? I seriously do not know, but I would like to see a solo series of Max, without Sam restraining him all the time.

(WHOOOO!! First post on a forum ever ever ever ever...)

Comments

• TorTor
    edited May 2009
    I think that it might be the dynamics between the two characters that make the whole thing work. The differences between their personalities make their interactions interesting and funny as we all know. It's hard to tell how well either one of them would work on their own - but it's an intriguing thought.
  • edited May 2009
    Tor wrote: »
    I think that it might be the dynamics between the two characters that make the whole thing work. The differences between their personalities make their interactions interesting and funny as we all know.

I second this!
  • edited May 2009
    If I had to drop one of them, it would be Max. Sam works with his one-liner observations. If you give Max nothing to bounce off of, his humor degrades to the level of the kind of person who thinks that speaking nonsense is the greatest form of humor.

There's a reason Sam is the one to generally comment on items and make conversation, with Max playing off that occasionally. Max's insanity does not work outside of a structured environment humor-wise.
  • edited May 2009
    I still think that if somone was really clever they could make a series with Max taking center stage.

But they would have to really really really really clever to pull it of. Hey, that's right. I'm really clever.

The key is to reverse Sam and Maxs role. So it's more like Sam is Maxs partner, not the other way around, as is the norm in the videogames. That way, Max would still be playing of Sam, it's just there would be more Max jokes and less Sam jokes, but still the same amount of them playing of each other.
  • edited May 2009
    Tor wrote: »
    I think that it might be the dynamics between the two characters that make the whole thing work. The differences between their personalities make their interactions interesting and funny as we all know. It's hard to tell how well either one of them would work on their own - but it's an intriguing thought.

Agreed! :D As much as I like Max's craziness the most, it just wouldn't be as fun if Sam wasn't there to give some balance with his great lines. :) He's the one who leads the group and has a conscience, while Max could be considered the "crazy little kid" who just jumps into things and needs to be looked after. XD It's the combination that is hard to set apart.

Yes, if I really had to choose only one of them, I'd probably say Max. But really, I love Sam just as much. :D
    But I'd agree, at least a small minigame sequence with Max alone would be lovely in the future games.
  • edited May 2009
    YEAH TELLTALE!!! You reading this? WE WANT MORE MAX!!!
    Actually, i'm hoping that new announcement you said you would be making in July is Sam and Max season 3, so you're probably already pretty far in the devolpment process. You might just be able to slip in a new idea though. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge;)
  • edited May 2009
    They're equally funny in different ways, and when you put them together, they compliment each other and become even funnier.
    The key is to reverse Sam and Maxs role. So it's more like Sam is Maxs partner, not the other way around, as is the norm in the videogames. That way, Max would still be playing of Sam, it's just there would be more Max jokes and less Sam jokes, but still the same amount of them playing of each other.
    You mean like, Sam and Max are both there, but only Max can influence their environment? Because that would make a pretty fun game, especially if you were still playing as Sam, and you had to tell Max what to do.
  • edited May 2009
    Being Sam and telling Max what to do would be a very fun mini game, but depending on how it's handeled, it might get frustrating for a whole game. Telling someone what to do instead of actually controlling them just doesn't offer the same freedom.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.