Hit the road on PC.

edited July 2009 in Sam & Max
Looking over 'summer of sam&max' , it got me wondering, why doesn't telltalegames re-release 'Sam & Max hit the road' for PC? I mean, it will make a boatload of money, and im sure that we the fans will truly enjoy the wonders of Sam & Max's first big adventure.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Telltale don't own the rights to Hit the Road. It's Lucasarts who do.

And most game shops here in Britain seem to have copies of it that are new, some of them bundled with Day Of The Tentacle. Look about on the interwebs and you're sure to come across one for a good price (and shiny and new too). :)
  • edited May 2009
    RobD wrote: »

And most game shops here in Britain seem to have copies of it that are new, some of them bundled with Day Of The Tentacle. Look about on the interwebs and you're sure to come across one for a good price (and shiny and new too). :)

Dude, I wanna go to Britain!
  • edited May 2009
    Oh, right.
  • edited May 2009
    Lucas is still getting the money from it and its unlikely it would ever happen.

but if it did happen i would love it very much as i could see TT doing a good job with it but that would be a big project as the game would be big as, but would love to see that game in the new graphics :)
  • edited June 2009
    I'm curious, now that LucasArts is remaking Monkey Island, is there any chance that they'll remake Hit the Road, or some other classic LucasArts adventures, like Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle? My mind would implode even more than it already has if any of those happened, something I didn't think possible.
  • edited June 2009
    _oMeGa_ wrote: »
    I'm curious, now that LucasArts is remaking Monkey Island, is there any chance that they'll remake Hit the Road, or some other classic LucasArts adventures, like Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle? My mind would implode even more than it already has if any of those happened, something I didn't think possible.

now TT has Monkey island under their sleve i now have a change of faith and agree that maybe TT could remake it :).
    best day ever tbh come on Monkey island :D and hopefully hit the road ;)
  • edited June 2009
    Please, for the love of god, Telltale, talk to Lucasarts and MAKE IT HAPPEN!
  • edited June 2009
    I think it'd make just as much sense for LucasArts to remake it themselves. Just make sure they get Purcell to show them how to make not-terrible character redesigns and it could look very good.
  • edited June 2009
    RobD wrote: »

Oh, you mean like mine?
    dottsammax.jpg
    Sorry, looks like some jerks drew all over it. This is why we can't have nice things.
  • edited June 2009
    AllenB wrote: »
    Oh, you mean like mine?
    dottsammax.jpg
    Sorry, looks like some jerks drew all over it. This is why we can't have nice things.

wow, does that CD pack a lot of punch or what? :D
  • edited July 2009
    With the Steam announcement... has there been any talk with LucasArts regarding a rerelease?
  • edited July 2009
    I have an orignal box for hit the road ;)

And I don't want Tell Tale to remake Hit the Road. That would be terrible, the main reason is because tell tale games are terrible, sorry... but episodic gaming is crap, a waste of time, it's the worst idea ever to be thought up.

I played the tell tale versions, but after the first two episodes in season 1, I realised that there was an intense lack of magic and wonderfulness. The story was really dull and the idea of the episodes joining up to one big story was a pretty fantasic idea, but on the play through.... Nah, it doesn't work. Probably the lack of imagination when it comes to the old, oh everyone's being hypnotised, each episode is about some alternative way to hypnotise people and... Man I dunno. You're drawing too much from the fox cartoons and not enough from the original game.

Now I'm a 90's gamer, and I'm a huuuuge fanboy for games like Beneath a steel sky, The Dig, Full Throttle, Monkey island, grim fandango, the legand or Kyrandia and so on. But for me, tell tale games are not cutting it, there's something missing, there's alot missing. Please stop episodic gaming, please for the love of Atilla!

Think about the differences, An epic hunt for sasquatches across the whole of america whilst disposing of the evil villian Conroy, and visiting the most wackyest locations like the Giant Ball of twine, or the mystery Vortex! Or Walking up and down the same old street, with months in between each event, speaking to the same old people, working on the same old case, Sigh. Man Doesn't sam and max's life suck right now. The Writing is fantastic, the jokes are great don't get me wrong. Some of the actual puzzles are genius too, but episodic gaming? Nahh....

Now when a "sequel" was announced and then abandoned, you could only imagine the excitment I was in when Tell Tale took up the rights to make the games. But after the first two Episodessssss I didn't like them. I played the rest of season 1... At perhaps a disputed price... Bu I just didn't have the same sense of accomplishment at the end of the TT Games as I did with the Lucasarts Games. Another major problem with this so called episodic gaming is the high prices the entire game will cost you. And it ain't even that great. I can pick up Hit the Road for £2 and play through it every day and love it. So there's a lot of competition to compete with there ;)

And now I hear word of Tell Tales rights to monkey island. STOOOOPP!!!! Do not put Monkey Island into Episodes! OMG I will stab all of you if you do!!!

And that concludes my rant, sorry for overtaking your thread, but it was relevant until I went off on one ^_^

Epic Gaming is good, Episodic Gaming is Fail. Enough said.
  • edited July 2009
    Wow, you're all over the place with the trolling, eh? For somebody who hates TT's games so much, you spend a lot of time on their site.

Makes me wonder exactly how you could be a "90's gamer" when your rants about stabbing people for not making a game to please your exact tastes and your obvious attempts to rile everybody up sound suspiciously like what a person who was too young to even remember the 90s would do.
  • edited July 2009
    I'm surprised Sam & Max isn't in the first batch of Steam games. hopefully it's still coming, though!
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    _oMeGa_ wrote: »

Get out. Now.:mad:
  • edited July 2009
    TheJoe wrote: »
    Get out. Now.:mad:

what did he say wrong? what's with attitude? :confused:
  • edited July 2009
    Tyranin wrote: »
    I have an orignal box for hit the road ;)

And I don't want Tell Tale to remake Hit the Road. That would be terrible, the main reason is because tell tale games are terrible, sorry... but episodic gaming is crap, a waste of time, it's the worst idea ever to be thought up.

I played the tell tale versions, but after the first two episodes in season 1, I realised that there was an intense lack of magic and wonderfulness. The story was really dull and the idea of the episodes joining up to one big story was a pretty fantasic idea, but on the play through.... Nah, it doesn't work. Probably the lack of imagination when it comes to the old, oh everyone's being hypnotised, each episode is about some alternative way to hypnotise people and... Man I dunno. You're drawing too much from the fox cartoons and not enough from the original game.

Now I'm a 90's gamer, and I'm a huuuuge fanboy for games like Beneath a steel sky, The Dig, Full Throttle, Monkey island, grim fandango, the legand or Kyrandia and so on. But for me, tell tale games are not cutting it, there's something missing, there's alot missing. Please stop episodic gaming, please for the love of Atilla!

Think about the differences, An epic hunt for sasquatches across the whole of america whilst disposing of the evil villian Conroy, and visiting the most wackyest locations like the Giant Ball of twine, or the mystery Vortex! Or Walking up and down the same old street, with months in between each event, speaking to the same old people, working on the same old case, Sigh. Man Doesn't sam and max's life suck right now. The Writing is fantastic, the jokes are great don't get me wrong. Some of the actual puzzles are genius too, but episodic gaming? Nahh....

Now when a "sequel" was announced and then abandoned, you could only imagine the excitment I was in when Tell Tale took up the rights to make the games. But after the first two Episodessssss I didn't like them. I played the rest of season 1... At perhaps a disputed price... Bu I just didn't have the same sense of accomplishment at the end of the TT Games as I did with the Lucasarts Games. Another major problem with this so called episodic gaming is the high prices the entire game will cost you. And it ain't even that great. I can pick up Hit the Road for £2 and play through it every day and love it. So there's a lot of competition to compete with there ;)

And now I hear word of Tell Tales rights to monkey island. STOOOOPP!!!! Do not put Monkey Island into Episodes! OMG I will stab all of you if you do!!!

And that concludes my rant, sorry for overtaking your thread, but it was relevant until I went off on one ^_^

2 episodes? Big fail. The first 3 episodes are incredibly weak compared to the later episodes. You missed out on the some great episodes. Many that are superior to hit the road in plot, characters and humor. Your loss.

Do yourself a favour and play at least the fourth episode of the first series (it's free after all.) It may not be the strongest but it gives you a sprinkle of an idea of the awesomeness your missing.
  • edited July 2009
    what did he say wrong? what's with attitude? :confused:

He has some sort of problem with SoMI:SE - probably something to do with the fact that it cramps on the speech project I assume he's involved in. Check his sig.
  • TeaTea
    edited July 2009
    He has some sort of problem with SoMI:SE - probably something to do with the fact that it cramps on the speech project I assume he's involved in. Check his sig.

It's a remake. I am generally negative about remakes as a whole.

I'm no longer involved with the speech project.
  • edited July 2009

Alright, dude, calm down for real. Tales of Monkey Island is not episodes. They're chapters. It's different than Sam & Max. They actually do make up a single, epic story.

Sam & Max, on the other hand, you may remember from the classic LucasArts game, but before that, it was a series of comics, each of which was an episodic story of about 20 pages. So for that franchise it makes sense to do smaller stories, and fans of the comics probably appreciated that. Monkey Island is different and Telltale knows it's different, so it's not being handled the same way. It will be epic.

Tales of Monkey Island is actually very close to the classic games, and incorporate gameplay and design elements, original voice actors and all the classic touches you'd expect. The Sam & Max seasons were never really meant to imitate Hit the Road, and that's why they don't.
  • edited July 2009
    Er.

Episodes, chapters, those are just words. Chapters are just being used at the word now because Monkey Island has always been told in Chapters.

You can use the word "episodes" and still incorporate them into a larger story. It is still premature to say whether or not Tales is "epic", I think the full scale of the story needs to be seen before it's decided whether or not the product truly has an epic scope. I think it probably will, mind you, but I don't think the change of wording is the indicator here.
  • edited July 2009
    You're drawing too much from the fox cartoons and not enough from the original game.

I would've thought it it would be more important to draw from the comics than Hit the Road.
  • edited July 2009
    but episodic gaming is crap, a waste of time, it's the worst idea ever to be thought up.

Your opinion has been heard and noted a dozen times over. I say opinion but you don't really present it as such which makes "discussion" difficult. Change the record.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.