Chariots of the Dogs...

edited June 2009 in Sam & Max
I just wanted to write and say that Chariots of the Dogs was the greatest S&M game since Hit the Road... You guys hit the nail perfectly on the head. Not only were the puzzles ingenious and awesome, but the humour was absolutely perfect: You captured the necessary brevity and inspired spontaneity that makes Sam & Max's humour work. I laughed out loud more than with any other episode. I don't know what you guys did differently, but somehow everything was amazingly better than before.

I loved seeing Bosco's from earlier in history. I loved learning about Bosco's heritage. I loved seeing the original Stinky. I loved working a case with Flint Paper. I loved seeing the young Sam & Max. I loved the old Sam (so sad!). I loved future Max's visor. I loved how everything tied together. I loved the past versions of Sam & Max -- so many clever little bits of dialogue ("We just keep asking until we get an answer"). I loved the simple, yet ingeniously clever puzzle structure and brilliant reusing of old locations. The game felt massive and yet manageable -- and there was no need for a "zany" location like Easter Island.

It's sad to say, but I didn't miss Cybil at all... She's a bit too normal for the world of Sam & Max, I guess. Certainly not as interesting as someone like Old Stinky, for example.

I'm just amazed that you managed to capture the humour so well. There were so many hilarious moments. Instead of jokes just falling on one beat, they would keep going: "Why Sam, I had no idea you felt that way about me." / "Time course altered." / "Shut up! What I meant to say was..."

Rolling the comedy into little "bits" (instead of singular jokes) was just perfect. There were so many throwaway lines that caught me off guard and, like I've already said, the humour was pitched perfectly. I don't know what was different, but Chariots of the Dogs was just inspired.

As a ridiculous fanboi nitpick; I was also a bit disappointed to see Max's sex drive re-awakened. I can see why he was asexual before -- lust really doesn't suit his childish anarchic nature! (Plus, I kind of liked the unspoken idea that he was gay -- quite a subversive trait for a much-loved hero, and exactly the type of thing that S&M should be turning on its head (in a subtle way, natch).)

Outstanding work! Every adventure game fan should play Chariots of the Dogs!

Looking forward to playing Episode 5! :D

Comments

• edited May 2009
    In my opinion, episode five is even better. Not exactly sure how they managed that.
    As a ridiculous fanboi nitpick; I was also a bit disappointed to see Max's sex drive re-awakened. I can see why he was asexual before -- lust really doesn't suit his childish anarchic nature! (Plus, I kind of liked the unspoken idea that he was gay -- quite a subversive trait for a much-loved hero, and exactly the type of thing that S&M should be turning on its head (in a subtle way, natch).)
    It wore off. If you talk to Max in Bosco's after breaking up with Bosco's mother, you get this:

Sam: It's gonna be tough getting used to you as a sleazy Lothario, Max.
    Max: I can already feel it fading, bro! I mean, Sam. I bet that by next month, I'll be completely back to normal.
  • edited May 2009
    Have to say i agree, I was going along with season 2 like yup this season is really good then got to Chariots of Dogs and was like woah this made me want season 3 bad as these games keep getting better.

Good Job TT
  • edited May 2009
    I laughed more during this game than any game I've played in the last 10 or so years.. Kudos to Chuck & anyone else involved in the writing
  • edited May 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    It wore off. If you talk to Max in Bosco's after breaking up with Bosco's mother, you get this:

Sam: It's gonna be tough getting used to you as a sleazy Lothario, Max.
    Max: I can already feel it fading, bro! I mean, Sam. I bet that by next month, I'll be completely back to normal.

Ha! I'll check that out, thanks for alerting me to it!
  • edited May 2009
    It's sad to say, but I didn't miss Cybil at all... She's a bit too normal for the world of Sam & Max, I guess.

The words "Sybil" and "normal" in the same sentence? I wonder how your post didn't explode, actually :D I think the girl is on par with Max for craziness - just check out her relationship prospects.

On the whole, though, I agree about CotD - best game in Season 2 (although by not far as the rest are also excellent), and probably the funniest game I've ever come across.
  • edited May 2009
    Did you see how Superball acted, I bet that his new job will be very important in S3.
    Can you imagine him saying: Well hello sir! Prepare for your destruction, sir!
    With some deep voice, that doesn't even sound like him.
  • edited June 2009
    Ah! Well I finally finished Season Two and "What's New, Beezlebub?" was indeed very satisfying! (I especially liked the big ending during the credits.) Great job guys!
  • edited June 2009
    I agree. Chariots of The Dogs was awesome! I really loved the whole time traveling and meeting little Sam and Max and Stinky. But I did like when Max started liking girls and he hit on Momma Bosco, it was really funny.
    And the end of the episode was awesome. And also when Sam & Max had to go through the entire year and a half again!
    Sybil by my opinion isn't normal, but she's normal in Sam & Max's crazy world. I mean, compare a talking rabbit and dog that travel in time to a woman dating a giant stone head. Plus the rabbit is the president.
  • edited June 2009
    I thought 204 was the best episode so far. You can't go wrong with time travel as Day of the Tentacle proved, but this went above and beyond what had been previously done with similar comic adventure games.

As a whole, Sam & Max series two is easily up there with the best adventure games I've played in its humour and ingenuity. If TMI manages to match the bar set high, I doubt I'll be disappointed.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.