W&G stuck in screen . XBLA ver.

edited August 2009 in Game Support
So I bought the game today and everything was going great. Other than a couple framerate issues and Wallace missing his pupils after saving Ms. Flit from the bees (Thought it was funny even though he looked demonically possessed).

Right after Gromit arrives in the truck and I turn the auto-pilot on, I'm stuck at the dashboard screen. There's a prompt, press B to exit, but it doesn't work. I've tried every combination of button presses to no avail. I tried the pause menu and exiting the game. But nothing works and now all I have is an unplayable save.

I don't want to restart my game, and there might be the possibility that it could happen again. Just hoping I'll get to play your game again sometime in the future, and I hope you'll fix this in an update. Cheers.

Comments

• edited May 2009
    I am having the exact same problem as you in the same location of the game. After Gromit looks closer at the dashboard I am unable to exit back to the normal view. The "B" button is doing nothing. I have tried pausing and exiting the game also and this has not helped. This scene worked fine in the demo but not in the Full Version. Any help would be wonderful since I am now basically stuck on that screen and my 800 point game is unplayable.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Have you tried clicking on either the sunroof button or the horn? Either one of those *should* restore control to you.
  • edited May 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Have you tried clicking on either the sunroof button or the horn? Either one of those *should* restore control to you.

I have tried both of those and the wipers, radio, and glove box with no luck.
    edited May 2009
    When you press the buttons, is Gromit actually responding and pressing them?

According to Andrew (programmer) if you click on the sunroof or horn, it should restore the B button to functionality (but doesn't necessarily bring up the "B to back out" text). But that assumes that the chore is actually playing and Gromit is actually responding to input.
  • edited May 2009
    When you press the buttons, is Gromit actually responding and pressing them?

According to Andrew (programmer) if you click on the sunroof or horn, it should restore the B button to functionality (but doesn't necessarily bring up the "B to back out" text). But that assumes that the chore is actually playing and Gromit is actually responding to input.

When I press the buttons Gromit responds and presses them and then the action occurs. The only button that doesn't seem to respond is the B button. I just tried again to confirm.
  • edited May 2009
    parkds wrote: »
    When I press the buttons Gromit responds and presses them and then the action occurs. The only button that doesn't seem to respond is the B button. I just tried again to confirm.

Same here, is it because I touched the Gorgonzola?
    edited May 2009
    Ok, I've got some people looking in to this, so hopefully we will have some information soon for you guys. Sorry!
  • edited May 2009
    Ok, I've got some people looking in to this, so hopefully we will have some information soon for you guys. Sorry!

Thanks
  • edited May 2009
    I've run into the same problem, and no it's not because you touched the gorgonzola lol, I didn't and am still plagued by this bug.
  • edited May 2009

I'm having the same problems. I've tried almost every possible combination and I'm still stuck at the dashboard. The exit message appears every time but I'm unable to leave the screen. All the accompanying scenes play when I hit the buttons as well.
  • edited May 2009
    Same problem here, stuck at the the dashboard. I have tried everything short of deleting my saved game. I played through the demo with no problems. Shooting bees with a porridge gun is fun..., but i would rather not have to start over.
  • edited May 2009
    So any update on this?
  • edited June 2009
    I'm another one with this problem.

I also played through the demo okay. I wonder if the demo is the problem? Do we have any instances where this gamebreaker occured to someone who did not play the demo?
  • edited June 2009
    Once Wallace was by the police station/newstand and he performed the action to look at the sign between the two and the game locked up, though the Xbox itself did not.

The other time was when Wallace used to the map. He was in the basement talking to that military guy (sorry, don't remember his name) and he used the map. The entire screen went black.

This makes me a little frightened to play the game as I don't want to lose progress.

Gary
  • edited June 2009
    Dustybug wrote: »

I also played through the demo okay. I wonder if the demo is the problem? Do we have any instances where this gamebreaker occured to someone who did not play the demo?

Yeah, I didn't play the demo. I just bought the game outright. That's how much I love W&G. :-)
  • edited June 2009

I bought the game outright, sight unseen. I've not tried the demo.

Gary
  • edited June 2009
    Well, if they don't fix it soon, I for one will not be bothering with the next three episodes.

As a 360 gamer I am not used to gamebreaking crashes and am very disappointed with this obviously rushed effort.
  • edited June 2009
    ...at least a bit of feedback would be nice from the team, so we at least know you are still looking into it!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    Hi, I signed up to let the developers know I'm also having a problem with the XBLA version in the same section. Gromit responds when I click the buttons for autopilot, horn and wipers, but trying to exit the dashboard area by pressing B isn't working. I have a bookmark saved just before I enter the dashboard and I've tried multiple times in getting past the dashboard but it just isn't working.
    Just wondering if this is still being looked in to?
  • edited June 2009
    I've had a little breakthrough here, i've managed to get out of the dashboard screen!

Pause the game and go into options menu.
    Make sure you change the Give Hints to 'often' and subtitles are ON.

Next go into the leaderboard menu. flick around the leaderboards for a while changing the category, and moving up and down the leaderboards with LB and RB.

After a while hopefully you will see the background screen change (keep your eye on the edges where part of the paused game screen can still be seen.)

When you unpause the game you will find yourself in the 'through the passenger window' screen.

This has worked for me twice now, but unfortunately the first time I got stuck a bit further along underneath the queen bee (same problem, B for exit does not work).

Luckily when you come out from that it says it is unable to save at that point in the game. Therefore I was able to try again at the dashboard screen.

However, if I can't find a way around the second gamebreaker it might be to no avail! B to exit might not work for the remainder of the game!

If you cannot get the same result as me, just keep doing a mixture of changing the options and flicking around the leaderboards.

Let's hope the developers fix this properly soon!

good luck, everyone.
  • edited June 2009
    I've got through the section now!

Avoid the problem with the quen bee by ensuring you have the feather before climbing the (broken) ladder.

You will have to do the workaround from the dashboard screen a second time to get the feather. This is not a problem though as I have had this work for me a third time now.

The key seems to be having the hints at often and the subtitles on.

When you go to the leaderboards, go to one of the 'full' leaderboards and move up or down the leaderboard with LB and RB. It is when you press B the first time after that to exit the leaderboard that you should notice the background game screen change.

In the next section (where wallace is driving) the B button to exit seems to work fine, even from the dashboard screen!

Hopefully that wil be the end of the gamebreaking bug!

I hope you have all found that helpful.
  • edited June 2009

Hopefully that wil be the end of the gamebreaking bug!

I hope you have all found that helpful.

GENIUS! Thank you, Dustybug! And thanks for the PM headsup to this!:D:D:D
  • edited June 2009

The key seems to be having the hints at often and the subtitles on.

When you go to the leaderboards, go to one of the 'full' leaderboards and move up or down the leaderboard with LB and RB. It is when you press B the first time after that to exit the leaderboard that you should notice the background game screen change.

Sidenote: When you're cycling through the leaderboard, the screen tends to freeze for a second (around the 3rd cycle with the LB or RB). If you can hit B as soon as it freezes, it'll take you to the screen change.

Thanks again Dustybug!
  • edited June 2009
    LeeTsa wrote: »
    GENIUS! Thank you, Dustybug! And thanks for the PM headsup to this!:D:D:D

It's nice that we can fiddle with the controls and settings to get it to work, but I was hoping for a fix. It doesn't sound like Telltale is doing anything about these problems? Man, I gotta say that probably means I'll skip the rest of the games they publish on XBLA...
  • edited June 2009
    As a further note, I have since played through the whole game again to mop up achievements, and the problem did not happen this time!

Funnily enough, if you watch the preview, right at the end Wallace says:

'Perfect, apart from a minor technical hitch at the end'

Oh, the irony................
  • edited June 2009
    glucero0 wrote: »
    Man, I gotta say that probably means I'll skip the rest of the games they publish on XBLA...

I don't think it'll keep me away from the rest of the W&G episodes. I just love them too much, but here's hoping for some intense UAT. :)
    edited June 2009
    This is being looked in to, but we do not have a solution yet I'm afraid. I'll pass along this new info to the programmers. Sorry for the trouble!
  • edited June 2009
    This is being looked in to, but we do not have a solution yet I'm afraid. I'll pass along this new info to the programmers. Sorry for the trouble!

I would love to play W&G again, but to be honest, I don't because I know it will lock up on me. I also won't spend $20 on Sam & Max until I'm reasonably sure these games will be generally bug free.

I buy and play a ton of Xbox 360 games, including LOTS of XBLA games and DLC, and I don't think I've run into these sorts of problems before. I won't waste anymore money until this game works.

Thank you,
    Gary
  • edited July 2009
    Ditto. I have the same issue. Super annoying.
  • edited July 2009
    I ended up buying S&M and so far it's bug free but I have yet to play W&G again. Is it ever going to be fixed? Let's hope so.
  • edited August 2009
    Is there any new updates on this bug? I only got the game a few days ago on Xbox Live and now stuck in the car with the B Exit problem.
    Don't know if there's been a more recent version added to Xbox Live but the leaderboard advice is not working! This game is impossible to complete.
This discussion has been closed.