The Wolf Among Us Episodes were too short?

Don't you all think that the episodes from the Wolf Among Us became increasingly shorter and less user interaction? with each installment of the game?

To me it was like an hour of gameplay per episode, that is too short to take a month for each delivery

Comments

• The only one that felt short to me was the fourth episode (Can't think of the name) other than that I didn't think they were short at all.

• TO ME WAS LIKE ONE HOUR PER EPISODE, MAYBE I'LL PLAYED TOO FAST :)

Tetra posted: »

The only one that felt short to me was the fourth episode (Can't think of the name) other than that I didn't think they were short at all.

• You were rolling around at the speed of sound? XD In all seriousness that's how I felt with TWD :p

LISSY18VZLA posted: »

TO ME WAS LIKE ONE HOUR PER EPISODE, MAYBE I'LL PLAYED TOO FAST

• YEAH IT'S THE SAME PROBLEM... "SHORT PLAY LONG WAIT"

Tetra posted: »

You were rolling around at the speed of sound? XD In all seriousness that's how I felt with TWD

• Episode 5 was definitely a short episode in my opinion, but at the same time, it jumped straight into the action and plot. Every moment that episode felt crucial to the plot, and the only downtime I felt was the final scene with Nerissa - which also became heavily important once you reached the end of the conversation.

I would've liked for Episodes 2-4 to be longer, but that seems to be more of a design goal for Telltale across all their newer titles. Various forum posts from Telltale Staff members indicate they want 90 minute episodes for one sitting playthroughs. I personally think that 2-3 hour long episodes are fine for one sitting, but one of the benefits of going episodic is that Telltale can listen to player feedback. I imagine that they've heard the feedback from Wolf and Dead Season 2, but only time will tell.

• The only episode that felt short was Episode 2 for me. Probably because of how long it took for the episode to come out.

• I was a bit ticked off on how short episode 4 was, but every other episode felt like the right amount.

• edited November 2014

Yeah that's because ep.2-4 went through a major rewrite, hence the story having to change heavily and since Telltale was on a tight schedule, they probably had to do their best which unfortunately resulted in shorter episodes. I don't mind a lot thought. Considering that all the episodes went through a rewrite, I thought they were fantastic.

• To me: Episode 1 was the longest, it took me just over 2 hours to finish at best, Episode 2 felt long but that's because it had SO much dialogue in it, Episode 3 was short but it intorduced us to fan-favourite Bloody Mary so I don't really care about it's length, Episode 4 was a disappointment to me because of it's Next Time trailer from Ep. 3 not living up to what it showed us and it seemed like filler, Episode 5 was the shortest by far, it took me barely an hour to finish it but the action and suspense was perfect, plus that cliffhanger ending... TWAU Season 2 (whenever it comes out) should have longer episodes; TWD Season 1 episodes all took more than 2 hours to do but that was because of the emphasis on exploaration, TWAU doesn't require exploration but it could give us more to do in each episode besides talking with characters.

• Yeah, Telltale probably could've chose a better time to start pushing for 90 minute episodes than right after a lengthy delay. :/

The only episode that felt short was Episode 2 for me. Probably because of how long it took for the episode to come out.

• Actually, Season 2 episodes were also 90 minutes. Puzzlebox and a few other Telltale Staff members mentioned that the shorter episodes were deliberate as they want episodes to be "one sitting entertainment." I think they have a good idea in theory as I usually have aimed to play past Telltale episodes in one sitting regardless of length, but I fell 90 minutes is a bit on the short end.

Not to overly rely on rose-tinted glasses for Walking Dead: Season 1 or anything, but I think that the 2-3 hour long episodes that game had were a good compromise for "one sitting playthroughs" in comparison to older Telltale titles that clocked in at 4-6 or so hours.

Yeah that's because ep.2-4 went through a major rewrite, hence the story having to change heavily and since Telltale was on a tight schedule

• Yeah, I think that Walking Dead Episode 5 and Walking Dead Episode 105 both prove that quality does not rely heavily on episode length. Both episodes were brief, but also very good.

TWAU doesn't require exploration but it could give us more to do in each episode besides talking with characters.

That's true of how Telltale designed the game, but I think more exploration like in Season 1 of Walking Dead would've benefitted the game. The atmosphere and characterization were strong, but I feel allowing the player to explore and get their hands dirty as Bigby would've helped them immerse themselves more in the choice making.

HazzatheMan posted: »

To me: Episode 1 was the longest, it took me just over 2 hours to finish at best, Episode 2 felt long but that's because it had SO much dial

• Problem with exploration in TWAU is that it doesn't fit in with the universe at all; TWAU is tailored towards hard-hitting action and secretive/interesting characters. TWD is meant to portray real people in a zombie apocalypse, they are secretive for reasons of not getting judged by others and are very vulnerable in fights, the apocalypse setting makes it perfect for exploration as it's what someone would do in that scenario. I guess if we could visit the various shops and buildingss in Fabletown to meet/talk with characters then that would work, but there would have to be purpose to it.

Yeah, I think that Walking Dead Episode 5 and Walking Dead Episode 105 both prove that quality does not rely heavily on episode length. Both

• Yeah I heard, the thing about the shorter episodes (I think thats a pretty bad move on Telltale's part tbh). Still, I felt like episodes like Smoke and Mirrors and In Sheep's Clothing were even shorter than scheduled because of the rewrite.

Actually, Season 2 episodes were also 90 minutes. Puzzlebox and a few other Telltale Staff members mentioned that the shorter episodes were

• Has anyone even bothered to ask TellTale exactly WHAT the rewrites were!?

Yeah I heard, the thing about the shorter episodes (I think thats a pretty bad move on Telltale's part tbh). Still, I felt like episodes like Smoke and Mirrors and In Sheep's Clothing were even shorter than scheduled because of the rewrite.

• Yeah, and I can tell you. Brace yourself for a lengthy explanation:

The original original plot was to involve Cinderella's stepsister, and to investigate her death. Some screenshots of that plot, plus the model of Cindy were released, but the plot was dropped because of unknown reasons. I have a feeling it was because it was too short to be dragged upon a whole season.

The next original plot was also very different. The killer of Faith and Lilly was to be an actual serial killer, not some underground organization. There was also going to be a unique twist. About one to two episodes were also going to involve the Mundy cops showing an interest in Bigby, believing he is a suspect in Snow White's "death", and eventually having them discover Fabletown. This plot was dropped because it went against canon and the writers of the comics didn't like it. The serial killer plot was then dropped because it didn't have enough story in it to be taken across the full season.

Hence, the Crooked Man plot was born. I still love the final product, but I think the Cindy plot would be really nice to see. Not the Mundy cop one, because it goes against canon, but the Cindy one would be really interesting if Telltale executed it properly.

Has anyone even bothered to ask TellTale exactly WHAT the rewrites were!?

• Actually, when I said exploration, I was focusing more on the noir detective trope. I agree with what you said in that that Telltale prioritized character relationships over what I described as "getting your hands dirty" and sleuthing around, but I think that adding some more gameplay around the detective portions of the story would've immersed me more in the choice making.

Problem with exploration in TWAU is that it doesn't fit in with the universe at all; TWAU is tailored towards hard-hitting action and secret

• Oh yeah I definitely agree with that, sorry you had to spend so long explaining it to me

Actually, when I said exploration, I was focusing more on the noir detective trope. I agree with what you said in that that Telltale priorit

• So the very first plot involved Cindy... Does that mean that the Next Time trailer for Ep. 2 was the one meant to be used for the 'Mundy Cop stroyline' and that the original screenshot for Ep.3 involving Brannigan was from that same stroyline?

Yeah, and I can tell you. Brace yourself for a lengthy explanation: The original original plot was to involve Cinderella's stepsister, an

• No worries! It actually makes for better discussion as I get to explain things in more detail. :)

Oh yeah I definitely agree with that, sorry you had to spend so long explaining it to me

• edited November 2014

Yeah, ep.1 was the only episode not effected by the rewrite I believe.

Addition: the Cindy plot died early in production, it never made it into the final game in any way (other than seeing Cindy's model a few times throughout the game).

So the very first plot involved Cindy... Does that mean that the Next Time trailer for Ep. 2 was the one meant to be used for the 'Mundy Cop stroyline' and that the original screenshot for Ep.3 involving Brannigan was from that same stroyline?

• Tbh I was expecting there to be at least 2 fights and 1 chase scene per episode like 1 and 5 did... Season 2 to be more action-oriented anyone?

No worries! It actually makes for better discussion as I get to explain things in more detail.

• Chase scenes, no. In the comics Bigby states "the amount of times I actually had to chase a suspect on foot can be counted on one hand." So in other words, 5 or less. If there is a s2, the chase scenes will still only be 1 or 2 throughout the entire season.

Tbh I was expecting there to be at least 2 fights and 1 chase scene per episode like 1 and 5 did... Season 2 to be more action-oriented anyone?

• Sounds like a really bad move on TellTale's part tbh; either way the series is amazing and at least Ep. 1 still fits in with the rest...

Yeah, ep.1 was the only episode not effected by the rewrite I believe. Addition: the Cindy plot died early in production, it never made it into the final game in any way (other than seeing Cindy's model a few times throughout the game).

• We don't know who the other 3 chases were with in the series though... Also a contradiction of sorts in the comics is how Bigby and eventually Snow state that he has never fired a gun before; if that's the case then how did he fight in the Civil War and WW1 without drawing unwanted attention to himself (assuming he didn't go lone wolf during those two wars like he did in WW2)

Chase scenes, no. In the comics Bigby states "the amount of times I actually had to chase a suspect on foot can be counted on one hand." So

• Likely he did go "lone wolf" in both. Going to fight on the front line but not shooting a gun would not only draw attention to him, but certainly raise questions if he gets shoot in the chest and just walks it off.

We don't know who the other 3 chases were with in the series though... Also a contradiction of sorts in the comics is how Bigby and eventual

• I'm really glad they dropped the serial killer/mundy investigation plot line. It felt awkward as hell that episode 2 was clearly cobbled together to bridge the existing plot from episode 1 to the Crooked Man story in episodes 3 to 5 but I think it was ultimately the right move to make.

I paid money to see FABLES not boring no name Mundy cops (although a little more Mundy action would have been nice). Plus the Crooked Man plot was a clever way to have a cool story build over the season that manages to be independent while still showcasing a unique Fables story that can comfortably sit alongside the decade worth of comics.

Yeah, and I can tell you. Brace yourself for a lengthy explanation: The original original plot was to involve Cinderella's stepsister, an

• My feeling with the wolf episodes is yes, they were short but they never dragged and they feel way more replayable than the sometimes overlong walking dead episodes.

Plus episode 5 could have been ten minutes for all I cared so long as they let Bigby go full on wolf (a scene that instantly redeemed every minor thing the series did wrong in my opinion).

• My thing about this shit is that yea I get the only hour and a half 'one sitting playthrough' but really was disappointed with the shortness in TWD 2 and as for one sitting I play season 1 Nd 2 in one sitting, because we are nerds and we love these games I'm sure alot of us do that too, I plat a whole series one sitting once it's out, and waiting a month for only an hour ofa ppoor excuse for a game really sucks, I hope season 3 of TWD is close to as long as season 1, because 1 is my favorite for its length and in depth cerebral story, its wat got me hooked on telltale was the 12 hours of awesome just playing that game, and to have season 2 be like 7 hours long was very disappointing, I know there's 4 endings to season two wich really buildthe ssuspense factor for 3 so I hope 3 shows improvement especially since we've been waiting 2 years I certainly hope it is alot longer or the past 2 years have been a waste of time and money I'm sure many of you can agree with that statement

• This thread is from almost a year and a half ago. You do know that right?

Enayru posted: »

My thing about this shit is that yea I get the only hour and a half 'one sitting playthrough' but really was disappointed with the shortness

• Please don't bump old threads unless something new comes up to discuss. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.