Good Idea? (Let me hear your opinions)

I don't think so but I've already got a thread with my opinions so I want to hear yours.

Here's a strawpoll: http://strawpoll.me/3216832

Well, I'm going to go, I want to forget this exists.

Comments

• edited December 2014

I'm optimistic, there's not even a trailer or pics out so it can judge the game yet.

• I have no right to say anything bad or good about it yet as there is little to go off by, but for the record, when I saw this I thought I was hallucinating xd

• I honestly think this is dumb as hell, Minecraft isn't a story property and it's extremely odd as to why they would pick this, it's like they were thinking, "Oh, we made everyone give a shit about an FPS, we're so awesome that we can can make an online building game worth a shit." i don't know how this is going to work, Telltale could potentially be shooting themselves in the foot, they're not the best writers, nor are they the most professional developers out there.

• Can you stop comparing this to Tales?

This is nothing like Tales and it won't be the same in any way.

prink34320 posted: »

And then once episode 1 comes out there will be threads about how awesome it is, that's what happened with Tales from the Borderlands.

• edited December 2014

Minecraft has no story, no characters, no lore, nothing. It's a pointless game nobody wanted, I don't see the potential.

And then once episode 1 comes out there will be threads about how awesome it is, that's what happened with Tales from the Borderlands.

• And then once episode 1 comes out there will be threads about how awesome it is, that's what happened with Tales from the Borderlands.

J-Master posted: »

I honestly think this is dumb as hell, Minecraft isn't a story property and it's extremely odd as to why they would pick this, it's like the

• Can you stop comparing this to Tales?

This is nothing like Tales and it won't be the same in any way.

• The options in the poll are kinda limited. You lack middle ground. The two most positive options are basically "I'm a Minecraft fanboy" and "optimism". Anyway, I would say that despite hating Minecraft myself, this is an extremely smart choice by Telltale.

• There's I don't know, how much middle ground did you want? :P

The options in the poll are kinda limited. You lack middle ground. The two most positive options are basically "I'm a Minecraft fanboy" and

• I wanted "I'm a telltale fanboy, but not that much of a fanboy."

:P

There's I don't know, how much middle ground did you want? :P

• Well I would change it for you but I can't, sorry. XD

I wanted "I'm a telltale fanboy, but not that much of a fanboy." :P

• My instinct is that this is not a good idea.

• How is anyone to know that? We haven't seen any type of gameplay at all.

Can you stop comparing this to Tales? This is nothing like Tales and it won't be the same in any way.

• It's fine, I was just kidding. It's good that you're trying to get other peoples opinions out there, though.

Well I would change it for you but I can't, sorry. XD

• I want to see where the Forums lie, I was one of the people rudely and harshly hating it yesterday. I still stand by my opinions right now but I apologized for being rude to everyone and i'm done fighting...I have zero hope for this but I won't be rude about that anymore.

It's fine, I was just kidding. It's good that you're trying to get other peoples opinions out there, though.

• so far every telltale game was a complete success but i'm Wondering what could go wrong with minecraft sort of game mixed with a story based game because minecraft does not have any story to tale, at the end of the day i'm optimistic about the game because i've never got any let downs with telltale games.

i hope for the best after all its minecraft ;)
    have a nice day !

• I'm not arguing but you can't say it'll be like Tales until we get info, so you have no reason to comparee the two.

How is anyone to know that? We haven't seen any type of gameplay at all.

• Well I welcome you to the Forums, have a nice day too.

MrTiTaN posted: »

so far every telltale game was a complete success but i'm Wondering what could go wrong with minecraft sort of game mixed with a story based

• edited December 2014

It will probably be the same in the sense it'll be comedy based though. It's an assumption, but a logical one I think, as I don't see how they could make a serious game with the IP.

Maybe something akin to Strong Bad in terms of humor.

Edit: By the way, Golden, because you seem reasonable. I wouldn't necessarily look at Minecraft not having a story as being a weakness, especially if this is a comedy based game. It could be considered a positive, but it also has negative aspects too, just like working with a story rich IP does. (Said in general, I'm not defending Telltale. Just stating simple facts really. If I were to defend them, I'd say they have the right to make what they want and they've earned my trust when it comes narrative.)

Can you stop comparing this to Tales? This is nothing like Tales and it won't be the same in any way.

• edited December 2014

the idea is dumb and the fact that people are comparing it to borderlands is a joke borderlands actually had lore and a good story hell there is enough lore in borderlands 2 alone to make it work the people who hated on borderlands were just people who had only played bits of the first game who were too worried that it would affect twd minecraft has zero lore or story and i don't see how it will work

• Well i like minecraft i understand u do not its fine by me but im getting this game and i feel this will be good for telltale to make a story from scratch i would love to see how that turns out and such but the cons like i told u on the other thread is the fanbase majority is not the greatest fanbase

Jewfreeus posted: »

the idea is dumb and the fact that people are comparing it to borderlands is a joke borderlands actually had lore and a good story hell ther

• And you can't say that it is nothing like Tales or that it won't be the same in anyway either.

I'm not arguing but you can't say it'll be like Tales until we get info, so you have no reason to comparee the two.

• I can though, it's the fact that since we don't have any information, I can say that at the moment.

And you can't say that it is nothing like Tales or that it won't be the same in anyway either.

• Eh, Comedy based. :/

Thanks for the compliment but I'll tell you I can be reasonable but I had an emotional breakdown on the Forums yesterday so I got a little harsh about it. I understand you think they will have great creative freedom but I don't understand why they chose Minecraft to make a story not in any way connected to Steve or to explain the world... It seems like a grab for their fans to be honest. They usually earn my trust and I usually defend all the games they make but this is disappointing in terms of trying to keep my trust.

Rob_K posted: »

It will probably be the same in the sense it'll be comedy based though. It's an assumption, but a logical one I think, as I don't see how th

• From a creative standpoint, and not financial, probably because they think they can have a lot of fun with it.

I can't be bothered posting the links again, though maybe I should create a thread, but if you check my post history (about 2 - 3 posts back), I found a few videos which may give a hint towards the direction they'll head in, narrative wise. The videos/stories linked to obviously aren't the greatest, but with Telltale's writers behind it, I think they can create something fun for everyone, depending on the humor involved. And this is coming from someone who's never played Minecraft before and in case I need to state my age, I'm 29. ;)

Eh, Comedy based. Thanks for the compliment but I'll tell you I can be reasonable but I had an emotional breakdown on the Forums yesterd

• Yes, the creative part of this is cool but they could have created their own universe which would have gotten more support.

Well, it would be nice of you to make a new thread to show case this. I don't find a story in minecraft good at all...Minecraft on it's own...Is better. Minecraft is shown to be about making your own story and world and building it up...Establishing a story in it...Especially a 5 episode dialogue based game seems crazy to give to Minecraft.

From a creative standpoint, and not financial, probably because they think they can have a lot of fun with it. I can't be bothered postin

• Yeah, don't they actually have enough resources to do their own thing, now? The naysayers of Telltale kind of have a point in saying that all Telltale does is cash in on other franchises, rather than making their own. I guess they're testing the waters with Minecraft, but I don't know...

Yes, the creative part of this is cool but they could have created their own universe which would have gotten more support. Well, it woul

• Eh, I still don't like it but after my breakdown yesterday i'm willing to see where it goes.

J-Master posted: »

Yeah, don't they actually have enough resources to do their own thing, now? The naysayers of Telltale kind of have a point in saying that al

• Last post, I promise, as there's not much point going back and forth over this, and I imagine you're quite tired of doing so like I am even if the discussion is civil.

But . . . why make their own universe if an existing one, Minecraft in this case, seems an ideal fit? Perhaps that's the wrong way to put it, but . . . what I'm getting at is I believe the IP itself has interested them creatively.

Anyhow, I'll quickly create that thread, I guess. It's only a simple copy + paste job anyway. Hopefully it won't do more harm than good.

Yes, the creative part of this is cool but they could have created their own universe which would have gotten more support. Well, it woul

• It's okay, it's civil and I don't mind that. It's my last post for right now too as I have stuff to do.

I figure that making thier own universe gives them the chance to make new lore and story...Yes Minecraft does the same but it just seems better to make their own story than go and jump on an existing franchise which is hated by many. It would be generally accepted easier than the Minecraft one and it seems like it just would have been better to make their own IP.

It's a risk to take to be honest. (Your thread)

Last post, I promise, as there's not much point going back and forth over this, and I imagine you're quite tired of doing so like I am even

• Eh... It was MAJORLY disappointing, I was expecting something else and it seems like a pretty bad idea, I don't like Minecraft, I'll probably play it anyway but I'm waiting until they announce something more interesting like, well pretty much anything else, that being said due to Minecraft's lack of story they might have a chance to get really creative but they might get dragged down by minecraft memes or something, to be honest I have no idea what to expect for this, but I'll keep Brian K. Vaughan's comments about wanting a Saga video game and liking Telltale games as consolation I mean there might not be such a thing but I'll have hope...

• Well, I think this is a bad idea, especially when they have a franchise that fans are already clamouring for Season 2 (TWAU), and even if they didn't choose TWAU Season 2, they could have decided on one of soooooo many other franchises which have rich storylines, instead of Minecraft.

• Well to update you all...

No it's stupid is in the lead with 25 votes...

Then we have optimistic but not sure in second with 17 votes....

And in third we have i'm not sure with 7 votes...

• edited December 2014

This is what I see with the lack of information available:

• An attempt to explore what it can/can't do: TellTale has only recently within the past few years risen to the forefront. They are probably experimenting to see what they can't and and can make a story with. As a point-and-click adventure gaming company, it is kind of hard to know where it's limitations are. I'm sure The Walking Dead was one of those experiments, and it ended up opening TellTale to Fables, Boarderlands, and Game of Thrones.
    • An attempt to widen the fan-base: TellTale has done several M-rated games recently. A good balance of lower rated games along with the higher rated games will allow TellTale to be multifaceted and more capable to survive as a gaming company through the changes this industry goes through.
    • A possible move to potentially make original stories: Minecraft has no story, and TellTale has already said it will not interfere with any current Minecraft "canon". TellTale is basically having to create an original story with original characters and an original theme. The Minecraft world only brings in some type of familiarity for some people. This is different to other TellTale games because TellTale, while making original stories and characters, has had to operate within a certain pre-established canon. If the Minecraft game becomes a success, this could be the key for TellTale to develop completely new and original IPs. If that happens, then TellTale might have secured itself within the video gaming industry.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.