Telltale worked out Minecraft deal prior to Minecraft being bought by Microsoft

Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
edited December 2014 in Minecraft: Story Mode

Phil Spencer (Microsoft) on Twitter:

Honestly talks started prior to us owning, doesn't mean we wouldn't ship on PS given MC ships on PS but this was pre-XBOX.

http://segmentnext.com/2014/12/20/phil-spencer-explains-why-minecraft-story-mode-is-also-coming-to-ps3ps4/

I was on Google News and found this article. Turns out that Telltale and Mojang were in the talks to make this game prior to Minecraft being acquired by Microsoft.

A few months back, there was a game developer panel (not the Playstation Experience panel, an earlier one) where Telltale was talking about their history. They mentioned that they now have people reaching out to Telltale to make games instead of having Telltale be the ones to initiate. Judging by that and how the Minecraft Story Mode FAQ says that Mojang realized there was demand for a Minecraft story, it seems that Mojang came to Telltale rather than the other way around.

Comments

• True, but Microsoft is still releasing Minecraft on other platforms; also, don't forget this part of the Tweet Phil Spencer of Microsoft made:

doesn't mean we wouldn't ship on PS given MC ships on PS but this was pre-XBOX.

TommyW posted: »

I thought it was pretty obvious that the deal happened before Microsoft took over since they announced story mode was going to be on ps4 and

• I thought it was pretty obvious that the deal happened before Microsoft took over since they announced story mode was going to be on ps4 and ps3

Had the deal happened after the takeover I could see Microsoft wanting it as an exclusive for their Xbox Live Gold service

• Maybe Microsoft can buy out TTGs sense they clearly stop caring.

• edited December 2014

They stoped caring about what?

Some people on here seem to be looking at Telltale through rose tinted glasses and acting like them making a Minecraft game is above them or that Telltale has never taken a job for a big pay check before

News flash not true lol

Telltale has done everything from CSI to Law & Order video games so stop acing like Minecraft is all a sudden the moment that Telltale supposedly stop caring

Telltale cares about what it has always cared about

Alt text

that's was what motivated them to make Walking Dead and that is what is motivating them to make Minecraft

Cope49 posted: »

Maybe Microsoft can buy out TTGs sense they clearly stop caring.

• OH NO! A business that wants to make money!!!

As somebody who constantly worries about money, yeah, it happens, and it isn't even always selling out either. I don't know what the motivations for TellTale staff is, but I'm assuming they want to make enjoyable games with a good narrative - I could be wrong, but even in latching on a popular franchise, the owners of TellTale are not going to be rolling in the benjamins. Sometimes you have to do something you don't like or don't want to in order to be able to do something you want. I'm not into comics so I don't know, but I doubt Fables is massively widely known, not enough to get a surge in new customers anyway. Maybe that was just a project they were super interested in doing, and in order to finance it they had to make some other deals.

Also, as of late, even if it is seen as 'selling out' - have the games been bad? I wouldn't want Minecraft if it's for younger audiences with a dumbed down narrative; but if there's actually an appealing story, preferably with a couple of f-bombs, I'll be happy.

TommyW posted: »

They stoped caring about what? Some people on here seem to be looking at Telltale through rose tinted glasses and acting like them making

• Do you really think abandoning your fans that you already have, to try to obtain a new "fan base" is a smart business decision? How long are we going to have to wait for other titles now, because this "game" is now taking precedence in 2015. I already have to wait for Tales of Borderlands and GOT, and now another series.

How about TWAU? People been waiting for that since May. Is this ever going to get made? Are we wasting our times waiting here for games that will never be released?

Sarangholic posted: »

OH NO! A business that wants to make money!!! As somebody who constantly worries about money, yeah, it happens, and it isn't even always

• Do you really think abandoning your fans that you already have, to try to obtain a new "fan base" is a smart business decision?

Yes, it is. How else are they even gonna get new fans? New games draw in new fans which can lead them to buying previous games from Telltale or any future game series from them.

How long are we going to have to wait for other titles now, because this "game" is now taking precedence in 2015.

"We" depends on who you are talking about. Plus, this game will run alongside TWD S3 like TWAU did with TWD S2.

I already have to wait for Tales of Borderlands and GOT, and now another series.

Well, hate to break it to you but Telltale doesn't wake up and say "Oh man, Crazy George is waiting for Walking Dead S3, better cancel every other game out there." If you don't like it, then just leave. These forums don't need anymore unnecessary hate.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Do you really think abandoning your fans that you already have, to try to obtain a new "fan base" is a smart business decision? How long a

• edited December 2014

Sort of what was said above, but I don't think it's abandoning the fanbase. They're doing other projects concurrently and specifically those aimed at a target audience similar to The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us and if anything they're trying to widen their fanbase, not shift demographics completely. People might be miffed over the longer wait, but it's not going to stop them from buying the product they're waiting for when it comes out. I certainly would prefer they come out with The Walking Dead sooner rather than later (though I'd prefer more than anything they take the time to make it good), but I'm not particularly annoying with Minecraft. All I'm sure of is I don't know.

Plus my main point is, we don't know what TellTale is like financially and in terms of staff. On the one hand, they may have hired more people to be able to handle three concurrent projects or, on the other, they may really need a cash grab from a big, popular franchise just so they can stay afloat.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Do you really think abandoning your fans that you already have, to try to obtain a new "fan base" is a smart business decision? How long a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.