"Death of Telltale"

No. It isn't. I hate Minecraft myself. I never intend to buy it, nor do I ever intend to buy this game.

Therefore, that's the important part: not buying it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Telltale isn't going under because they're making a Minecraft game. If it's enjoyed by Minecraft fans? Telltale gets their profit. If it sucks and sells nothing? Telltale wins their profit via licensing fees and actual Microsoft/Mojang sponsorship of the project. Either way, Telltale isn't going bankrupt, they aren't collapsing, and they aren't going to "stop caring" about their other games.

Don't overreact, kids.

Comments

• nah telltale will be fine. it might be the first ever bad game thoe and that would be a mile stone in itself as most of thier games have been good even the ones people tend to have mixed feelings on.

• First ever bad game eh?

...guess you never played their Jurassic Park or CSI knockoffs

megamike15 posted: »

nah telltale will be fine. it might be the first ever bad game thoe and that would be a mile stone in itself as most of thier games have been good even the ones people tend to have mixed feelings on.

• "it might be the first ever bad game"

hahahhahahhaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Somebody didn't play law in order,csi and jurassic park

nah telltale will be fine. it might be the first ever bad game thoe and that would be a mile stone in itself as most of thier games have been good even the ones people tend to have mixed feelings on.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited December 2014

I actually really enjoyed them actually. They're in genres that a lot of people don't like (a quick time event game like classic arcade games like Dragon's Lair in the case of Jurassic Park and a game similar to Japanese detective style visual novels in the case of CSI, both with some moments of casual adventure exploration), so that's the reason that a lot of people don't like them. For the people that do like those kinds of games though (like me), they're actually quite good as they play excellently for their genres, have good stories, and adhere to their source material well.

First ever bad game eh? ...guess you never played their Jurassic Park or CSI knockoffs

• i tend to pretend csi and law and order don't exist. and i found jurassic park decent note the " people have mixed feelings on"

TommyW posted: »

"it might be the first ever bad game" hahahhahahhaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha Somebody didn't play law in order,csi and jurassic park

• don't worry telltale themselves also pretends csi and law don't exist lol

i tend to pretend csi and law and order don't exist. and i found jurassic park decent note the " people have mixed feelings on"

• "Death of Telltale"

haha

hahAHA

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

• Then they also pretend that their King's Quest game was never going to exist.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/community/categories/kingsquest-game

don't worry telltale themselves also pretends csi and law don't exist lol

• Wow nice find I had no idea this even existed

I thought the project was canceled before anybody could make a thread for it

Then they also pretend that their King's Quest game was never going to exist. http://www.telltalegames.com/community/categories/kingsquest-game

• I only found out about it recently when Sierra got revived. Then later I saw the trailer for what most fans will call King's Quest 8. Then I did a bit of digging and heard that Telltale got the rights to it but then cancelled it and gave it to Activision. I've tried getting into King's Quest before, but puzzle-solving isn't my thing. I get enough of that from school work, so Mask of Eternity was the only one that appealed much to me.

Wow nice find I had no idea this even existed I thought the project was canceled before anybody could make a thread for it

• Activision actually owns the rights to King's Quest since they purchased Sierra since they merged with Vivendi to form Activision Blizzard in 2008 (which is now just owned by Activision again as they purchased the company outright from Vivendi). Activision licensed the rights for King's Quest to Telltale, and Telltale announced they were working on King's Quest in 2011.

Telltale pushed back the release of all of their games (including King's Quest, The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us) due to the delay of Jurassic Park. Since they didn't release a game while they had the license, their license to make a King's Quest game reverted back to Activision (like how Telltale no longer has the rights to make Monkey Island, Bone, or Wallace & Gromit games, although those had the benefit of getting releases before the rights reverted back to the rights holders). It was announced that Telltale lost the rights to King's Quest in 2013, and Activision stated that they had their own plans for the franchise. Then, The Odd Gentlemen was announced to be making a new King's Quest game under the revived Sierra label in 2014.

The loss of the King's Quest license was out of Telltale's hands as it had expired before they had a chance to make their game. Licensing can be a big mess sometimes. This is one of the main reasons why Telltale doesn't announce games anymore until a year or less before they're released.

I only found out about it recently when Sierra got revived. Then later I saw the trailer for what most fans will call King's Quest 8. Then I

• So I'm a bit confused here. You mentioned a company call "The Odd Gentlemen" and said they were making the new KQ under the Sierra label. So is Sierra only coming back for King's Quest and then dying out again?

Jennifer posted: »

Activision actually owns the rights to King's Quest since they purchased Sierra since they merged with Vivendi to form Activision Blizzard i

edited December 2014

I don't think so (although it's hard to say how long Activision plans on having the Sierra label stay active this time).

Sierra was also used as the publishing label for Geometry Wars 3 last month (since the Sierra label was used for publishing Geometry Wars: Dimensions in 2007 before the Sierra label was retired).

Activision did state in their announcement that Sierra was returning that they intend to use Sierra as their label for publishing games developed by indie game studios, so it's likely it will be around after King's Quest is released. Although, at this point, only Geometry Wars 3 and King's Quest are confirmed to be published by Sierra. I'm not sure if they intend to revive any more Sierra intellectual property either, as they only ever mentioned King's Quest in the announcement.

So I'm a bit confused here. You mentioned a company call "The Odd Gentlemen" and said they were making the new KQ under the Sierra label. So is Sierra only coming back for King's Quest and then dying out again?

• Did you ever play Quest for Glory?

I don't think so (although it's hard to say how long Activision plans on having the Sierra label stay active this time). Sierra was also

• My mum played it alot years ago. She bought þem off GOG not that long ago.

CrazyGeorge posted: »

Did you ever play Quest for Glory?

• You know I was getting alot of "Heavy Rain hype" from their Jurassic Park game, you know, adding in the quick time event gameplay to attract the Heavy Rain fans.

I actually really enjoyed them actually. They're in genres that a lot of people don't like (a quick time event game like classic arcade gam

• I found Jurassic Park decent for its time. I felt the graphics could have been improved on a bit and character dialogue choice. Jurassic Park The Game. Did leave plenty room for improvement, but it was not as awful as people try to make it out to be. Its no Jurassic Park 3 plot-wise I'd say. Pretty much every Jurassic Park tale besides the original movie and novel received "mixed reception" anyhow. It's as though if its not the exact same plot as the first Steven Spielburg movie then its apparently no good with folks I suppose.

I actually really enjoyed them actually. They're in genres that a lot of people don't like (a quick time event game like classic arcade gam

• it pretty much the stepping stones for how the more modern telltale games are minus the choice system.

Ladariel posted: »

I found Jurassic Park decent for its time. I felt the graphics could have been improved on a bit and character dialogue choice. Jurassic Par

edited December 2014

I've played most of Sierra's series. I intend to play them all, at least the ones I can buy for a reasonable price, at some point.

I have played Quest for Glory I a little bit, but I never played it too far. I've always been a fan of adventure games (both western and eastern style ones), but I was never a fan of western RPGs until later, so the gameplay didn't resonate with me at the time. I went back and played a bit of it a few years ago though, and it is quite fun (they managed to blend both adventure and RPG styles quite well), so I'm hoping to finally finish it soon (and hopefully move on to the other games in the series, now that GOG.com has them all).

I did back the Hero-U adventure-RPG that the Coles kickstarted a few years ago (and is set in the same world as Quest for Glory, as the Coles outright own that world since its creation predated their time working for Sierra). Hero-U finally has a release date set, for October 15, 2015. I'm going to try to play through at least most of the Quest for Glory games before then. :)

Did you ever play Quest for Glory?

• Did you play the King's Quest where you get lost in the desert? I remember playing that game as a kid, and getting lost in the desert for weeks before i called a video game tip line to get out. My parents were a little irked when they found out about the 50 dollar charge to our phone bill.

I've played most of Sierra's series. I intend to play them all, at least the ones I can buy for a reasonable price, at some point. I hav

edited December 2014

I didn't play King's Quest V one as a kid, but I just played it recently (the final battle against the wizard in Graham's castle was really fun). I just found out that actually takes place in a kingdom created in one of Sierra's first adventures (Adventures in Serenia) that predates even King's Quest I (it was the second game they made, after Mystery House), making Adventures in Serenia the first game in the King's Quest series.

I really want to track Adventures in Serenia down to see the parallels. Even though I was born too late to have grown up with text adventures, I still find them fun. Although playing BBS Door games like Legend of the Red Dragon when I was a kid probably had a lot to do with that. ;).

Did you play the King's Quest where you get lost in the desert? I remember playing that game as a kid, and getting lost in the desert for

Sign in to comment in this discussion.