which Season One commentary do you like the best?

xtrmntrxtrmntr Telltale Alumni
edited August 2009 in Sam & Max
Of the designers' commentaries for Sam & Max Season One, which episode do you guys think is the most interesting? If you haven't listened to them before, you'll find them on your Collector's DVD, or you can get to them here.

We're mainly interested in your opinions of the designers' commentary, but if you think one of the others is truly outstanding for any particular episode, please let us know that, too. :D

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Hmm... My favorite commentary is actually the one for Moai Better Blues, because it proved I wasn't crazy when I thought Mr. Spatula was going to change into Mack Salmon when I was playing the game. The story about Max making out with himself in Chariots of the Dogs was even better though.

But, if I have to pick a season 1 commentary, I'd go for Bright Side of the Moon. That was the episode where everything from the season came together, where the experience of creating 5 other episodes really showed, there were some very interesting behind-the-scenes-stories, and it made me see how wrong the intimate moment moment between Sam and Harry is.

I love the commentaries btw. Strong Bad doesn't have them, but will they return for future series?
  • edited June 2009
    Production Commentary is easily the most enjoyable, no particular episode though.
  • edited June 2009
    As long as it's chock full of information and not just commentators laughing and occasionally talking, not that TTG is guilty of this.
  • edited June 2009
    I know it's a cop-out, but I liked all of the commentaries on the Season 1 DVD. They didn't sound rehearsed, and there's something about that, but they might have been a bit more polished if they had been.

Things that stick out in my memory are the use of the regular (not piccolo) trumpet for the Cooking Without Looking song, to make it sound more obnoxious, and the comments about how
    trying to make your opponent win at Tic-Tac-Toe was surprisingly hard.

I haven't listened to the Season 2 commentaries yet, as I'm still in the middle of 205 and don't want to be spoiled.
  • edited June 2009
    I'll have to watch the designers commentaries again to pick a favourite, but my favourite kind of commentary was the sound guys commentary, because sound is not something I get to hear about very often.
    The story about Max making out with himself in Chariots of the Dogs was even better though.
    That probably made the Chariots of the Dogs commentary my favourite of the season two commentaries.

...Commentary.
  • edited June 2009
    All 6 Sound Guys were the ones that stood out, so of course they didn't come back for season two.
  • edited June 2009
    xtrmntr wrote: »
    Of the designers' commentaries for Sam & Max Season One, which episode do you guys think is the most interesting? If you haven't listened to them before, you'll find them on your Collector's DVD, or you can get to them here.

We're mainly interested in your opinions of the designers' commentary, but if you think one of the others is truly outstanding for any particular episode, please let us know that, too. :D

I really liked all of them, particularly the fact they were on Itunes as a podcast.
  • edited June 2009
    Little late to comment, but I've been distracted the last week or so *cough*monkeys*cough*. Anyway, I can't say that there is any one designer commentary I really enjoyed above the others. They were all pretty informative and interesting, and they had a few cute tidbits about each episode to relate. The sixth episode had the longest commentary, and it's the wrapping up the series commentary, so maybe that's my favorite? But the rivalry between Grossman and the sound guys in regards to the bear heads in The Mob, The Mole and the Meatball was funny and Dave Bogan talking about how they wanted the pallet of each set to be very different was interesting. (In a way I'd like to hear more about the artist's end of things.) And the Sound Guys commentary was actually my second favorite out of the three available. (I support you Sound Guys!) I'd say what I want out of the design commentaries the most is a balance between talking about stories and talking about puzzles, with art design falling under the story heading. It's also nice to hear about ideas that didn't make the cut, like the drink train being included in the bug puzzle, and how ideas changed over time. Does that long, rambling post help any?
  • edited June 2009
    Honestly, I just loved that there WERE three. Getting to see the production from the points of view of different sets of people involved was a lot of fun, and it never felt like there was "too much" for me to listen to without getting bored.

"Making of" is really interesting. I loved things like the commentary about the opening cards being the rainbow colors, the sound guys seemed to always have something interesting to say, and just anything that I couldn't get just by looking at the scene by itself. Perhaps you could assign a different group of people to do the commentary on one episode, depending on how much they had to say about a particular episode, rather than a cohesive set from the same guys across the board?

I think seeing the sound guys go was the only disappointing aspect of the Season Two DVD.

Actually, I think the commentaries could be scrapped if you could replace them with videos filled with relevant knowledge. There may not be a tidbit for every scene throughout, and so there are sometimes lulls in the commentary track. A series of "Making of:" videos, with things like "Music", "Sound Effects", and other such design categories that picked up the most interesting of tidbits for each the various episodes and maybe even demonstrating *how* that was done would be great(with things like still art maybe in a data file on the disc? :D)
  • edited June 2009
    The best:
    Episode 5: Reality 2.0 Sound Guys Commentary

The commentarys were all great but Episode 5 is my favourite Telltale Episode ever especially because of the music so I naturally enjoyed that one the most.
    Thanks for making it awailable as a podcast.
  • edited June 2009
    I loved the sound guys commentary. shame they didn't come back for season 2. D:
  • edited June 2009
    I prefer the Production commentary to the Design commentary, mainly because they're so damn humble about their work and constantly slagging themselves off. It's funny, if unwarranted. :p

I missed the Sound Guys for Season Two though. I wanted to hear Jared and Julian's thoughts on the new styles of music, the updated tracks from Season One, the voice acting and such.

I'm also disappointed in the lack of commentaries for Strong Bad - since TBC do commentary on their toons on the DVDs I would've thought they'd be up for it. I suppose there are problems in getting everyone together at the same time. Since they've got a recording studio and so do the Telltale guys, and syncing doesn't really matter that much in commentaries anyway (the Season Two commentaries are really out of sync at times) I don't see why TBC couldn't just use Skype or MSN or something to contact the Telltale team, then have both parties start the video at the same time and record themselves, then send the sound files off to Telltale to have both audio tracks spliced together. That way they can hear each other and both be heard in perfect quality. It'd be better than those awful phone commentaries on one of the Homestar DVDs where you couldn't hear a word anyone was saying.
  • edited August 2009
    I just watched the season one and i was really impressed with the whole design and production.I got excited for the next season.It's just that i had a hectic schedule to find time to watch again.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.