Low framerate on Sam & Max Season 3

This one's got me confused. I'm not sure if it's my graphics card not being up to scratch, or if it's just an inefficient engine. In any case, on detail level 9, my game runs at about 10 FPS. On detail level 5, it's around 15-30 FPS. On detail level 1, it's around 40 FPS. I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE graphics card, and I use MSI Afterburner for monitoring. According to the minimum requirements on Steam, I'm well past those specs. The previous two seasons ran fine (they're capped at 50 FPS for some reason). I do realize the major differences of the graphics quality between the first two seasons and the third season, but it shouldn't go from perfectly fine to almost unplayable.

Comments

• TelltaleMikeTelltaleMike Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2015

Can you please clarify if you are running any other programs other than Sam & Max that may be taking from your computer's processing power and causing the low framerate issues? If so, I recommend closing them, then restart the game, and you should not experience the issue.

You can also try running the game As an Administrator, or in a Compatibility Mode (we recommend Windows 98/ME) and see if the framerate issue you are experiencing is resolved. If you are playing in a large resolution, lowering it from the Options menu, may also help with the framerate.

• I don't have anything actively taking processing power in the background. The applications I leave running are usually just Chrome, Outlook, and Steam. It doesn't make much difference, seeing per Afterburner the bottleneck's at the GPU. I haven't tried administrator/compatibility mode yet; I might do that later. Currently I'm running the games on detail level 6, and most of the time it's at 60 FPS, sometimes dropping to a bit above 30. That's also the highest level that doesn't have dynamic shadows, so I'm assuming there are some major inefficiencies in shadow casting.

This discussion has been closed.